+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Little People, Big World - TLC

Re: Little People, Big World - TLC

You're not out of it. My first apartment was furnished from garage sales and I had a hard time justifying a $25 expense for a couch (not that long ago either). And wow was that an ugly couch but soooo comfortable. Had the same TV since the early 90's up until like 2 years ago when it finally died.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4126942;
    I finally watched the final two shows....been out of town.
    I was shocked to hear Jeremy speak to his mother that way. Very surprising. Even Amy seemed speechless upon hearing his words.
    Those twins have not been raised with the thought of becoming independent young adults. I laughed pretty hard as they went "price-shopping" at that home store, costing out what they needed to set up an apartment. Since when did young people get brand new furniture for their first apartment? Including dressers and night stands........Not to mention the flat screen TV they had on their list!!!
    In my day and my kids' day it was Salvation Army, Goodwill and hand-me-downs from parents. But then it seemed that the desire for independence out weighed having a bunch of "toys."
    Or am I just out of it???
    I agree. I recall that I used anything my parents, grandparents, aunts, and friends gave me. I supplemented that with furniture from Revco. (It used to be a pharmacy in the south, but it sold to-be-assembled furniture like tv stands, microwave carts, etc.) I had several items from that place that I used through law school! LOL I stuffed cardboard under table legs that were wobbley, clipped coupons, ate Romain noodles, and got by. It was a good lesson. I now appreciate any luxuries I have and don't take them for granted.

Well, it's good to know I'm not just out of it but it's sad to realize that parents are raising kids to think the way those twins do.
    I remember my daughter painting (and re-painting) her hand-me-down furniture and being delighted with her "new" look in decorating. She and her husband still are using some of our old furniture. It takes time and patience to get what we all want.

I doubt they paid for that furniture. I could tell by the displays they were in Fred Meyer and I think the store has a product-placement arrangement with the show. But I totally get the sentiment. I gag a little on those first-time home buyer shows when young couples complain if the counters aren't granite and the appliances aren't stainless steel.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor;4131075;
    I doubt they paid for that furniture. I could tell by the displays they were in Fred Meyer and I think the store has a product-placement arrangement with the show. But I totally get the sentiment. I gag a little on those first-time home buyer shows when young couples complain if the counters aren't granite and the appliances aren't stainless steel.
    You are so right! I find it amazing that young homeowners, some who have jobs that traditionally do not pay large salaries, complain about the smallest thing in a house. They turn their nose up at a bathroom and complain that it needs updating. Really? It looks fine to me. And kitchens? OMG, it has to be stainless appliances or they are turned off! Do stainless appliances work much better than other kinds or is it just a visual thing? LOL I guess their standards are much higher than mine were when I first started out. I didn't even have central air conditioning!!!!!!! We made do with a window unit. I know, it's difficult to believe. LOL

Oh my gosh the first time home buyer shows blow my mind. I live in an economically depressed area (always has been and always will be). When I went out looking for my house in my budget range I saw absolute pits. I was looking at the reality of replacing walls, plumbing and any number of issues. My line was a new roof or new furnace/heating system for a repair I wouldn't do. Small houses too. My house came with no appliances and I have had to do my own "upgrades" as I saved money and learned how to fix and do household things. I bought plain jane appliances and they function fine. I've had the same microwave for over 10 years... works fine. I just don't get that reality where people can get their perfect shiny new houses right out of the gate like that.

Personally I'd like to see someone on the budgets we look at here with the older homes we have here on one of these shows doing some basic home shopping and having to compromise.

I can only mirror what you have posted about the various home buying shows. Sheesh - it really is instant gratification. I wonder how many of those people still owned the home after a period of time or went broke.

Now back to Little people. I cannot stand the twins anymore. Such a sense of entitlement. BOO

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4131160;
    I didn't even have central air conditioning!!!!!!! We made do with a window unit. I know, it's difficult to believe. LOL
    Wow! I'm jealous. A window unit would have been heaven!! (j/k)
    I know that the twins were only checking out the store to see what prices were but it was their naive thinking about basics (flat screen TV???) that surprised me. That's why I wondered if that's how most young people thought now or just them.
    Personally, I think Jeremy has been affected negatively by "celebrity" and his parents' total adoration. Molly seems to not be affected at all nor does Zach. Jacob, although one of the more beatiful children I've ever seen, seems to be a giant mess of emotions, just waiting to explode.

I sometimes think I'm Pollyanna who just wants everyone to live happily ever after so I worry about this family. Guess I get too involved, huh?

For all of you long time viewers of LITTLE PEOPLE, Marty Klebba, the Roloffs long time friend, is now starring in the show THE CAPE!
    DH & I watched the 2hour premier last night and Marty was awesome! He will be a regular on the show. He does play an evil fellow but he does evil well.

Good luck to you, Marty!
    KAREN

Great news for Marty.

I too hope the Roloffs have happy lives. Once they adjust to life after Reality TV, who knows what might happen.

Knowing Matt, I still suspect something with his name on it will come down the pipeline soon. There has to be some invention he wants to market. LOL

+ Reply to Thread