+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Little People, Big World - TLC

FORT Fanatic

Re: Little People, Big World - TLC

I have watched Little People for its entire run and also read the TLC boards. One reason many people get irritated by Matt is that he comes up with big schemes. He takes the first shovel of dirt (or whatever) and then lets others finish the job. He has done this time and again; sometimes it's because of his physical limitations but not always. Several years ago after they put a huge addition on his house and TLC paid (I'm sure) for many relatives to come for a visit, he suddently decided the floor (in the dining room, I think) had to be replaced RIGHT THEN. Once again, others had to drop everything and finish the job before guests arrived.

He would be an exhausting person to live with. He realizes that he may lose even more of his physical abilities as he ages, so that may be why he is constantly pushing himself and others to start new projects. I've very glad I don't have to share a house with him.

Hey Swissmiss,
    Point taken. You are correct about Matt. He is a handful at times. Still, for a man with no college education, he has provided quite well for the family. I noticed just last week, what a beautiful house they have. It really is nice. They also have had extensive travel. I think Matt was a successful sales rep even before the show started. He is very self-motivated and not a lazy person.

While I'm sure he can be a pain in the neck, I think he is a good person. Everybody has something annoying from my experience. I guess I overlook the bad in Matt because I see so much good. LOL

I will miss the family each week. Perhaps they will produce a show every year or two to keep us updated on their activities. That would be nice.

FORT Fanatic

Even with no college degree, Matt had an unusual ability to work with computers and apparently brought in big bucks. When he got some type of buyout, that's when he had enough to put in a downpayment on the farm. They remarked on one episode that it's almost paid off.

He did go back to computer work maybe two years ago (?) and traveled overseas for his job. I think he decided the kids needed him at home, and the travel for someone with his limitations must have been exhausting. Just getting from home to the job site and back again would be tiring, not even counting having to be in top form visiting clients.

I do get tired of being reminded EVERY SINGLE EPISODE that this is the last season. Yeh, we get that. It's ominous - like the end of the world is fast approaching. It would be fun to have a special once a year, I agree.

I love them all, even with their flaws.
    They're just "good people," who are doing their best to raise their children to be "good people," albeit a tad spoiled and a little lazy. But all in all, they're a wonderful example for families.

Did anyone watch last night?

Amy seemed to be such a 'helicopter' mom throughout the whole epi with Molly. Ugh. She needs to 'cut the cord' and let the kids grow up with out her 'hovering' over them 24/7.
    I went on all my DS' college tours but I stayed in the back of the group as we toured college after college. DS asked the questions not me.
    And then Amy practically running in the race with Molly ... ugh.

I did love the little bikes fundraiser that Matt has established for the Little People Organization.

I think it is wonderful Amy traveled to Haiti but truthfully, we still have allot of people here in the USA that could use some of that support. This country is struggling between jobless and homeless people ... it is a tough time for many. Ex., many are still struggling with Katrina. My DS was down in NOLA w/Habitate for Humanity building homes and the love those people had for my DS and all of this college buddies that went down their ON THEIR OWN during break ... well, Mike will never forget the outpouring of love those people had for them as they built their homes.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4112646;
    Did anyone watch last night?

Amy seemed to be such a 'helicopter' mom throughout the whole epi with Molly. Ugh. She needs to 'cut the cord' and let the kids grow up with out her 'hovering' over them 24/7.
    The hovering over Molly last night just didn't didn't ring true...seemed over-scripted to me. I did enjoy seeing Matt's brother the artist. You could sure tell they were brothers. And that picture of Matt as a young boy looked exactly like Jacob, who I think is the most beautiful little boy.
    There's a lot of silliness included that goes with making a tv show like this but I feel like I really know them and like them. A very decent family, with good values and some normal human frailities. I will miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4113289;
    The hovering over Molly last night just didn't didn't ring true...seemed over-scripted to me. I did enjoy seeing Matt's brother the artist. You could sure tell they were brothers. And that picture of Matt as a young boy looked exactly like Jacob, who I think is the most beautiful little boy.
    There's a lot of silliness included that goes with making a tv show like this but I feel like I really know them and like them. A very decent family, with good values and some normal human frailities. I will miss them.
    Did you see the episode where she visited a college with the twins? Amy was up-front and in charge in that one. At one point, Zach was trying to get her to back off because he said the things she worries about - for example, not being able to reach something in the cafeteria - were not things that bothered him. (He said he'd just ask someone to hand him what he needed. Not a big deal.)
    None of us really know the people in a reality show, but from what I've seen, Amy's hovering and "handling things" could contribute to her sons' lack of taking responsibity for their own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4113289;
    I think this will be just like The Gosselin's ... The Roloff's will be back for one hour specials periodically and they will call it Amy & Matt or something along those lines ...

Yes, oh my word, Sam Roloff, Matt's brother looked and sounded just like Matt and Jacob is Matt's clone!

And do you remember seeing Amy's brother on the show or in pictures that Amy has shown on the show ... well Jeremy is an exact clone of Amy's brother. It is absolutely amazing.
    KAREN

FORT Fanatic

I still remember the episode where the twins had to take some type of national exam. I believe it was AMY who registered them. She got them a self-study book (which I don't believe they ever bothered to look at) and on the day of the exam, it was AMY who had to rouse them out of bed, and it was AMY they went to when they realized they had to take a certain type of pencil with them. Geez. These kids need to do this stuff on their own - or with a lot less help from Mom.

The trip to Haiti was very odd. They spent less than 8 hours with the people they wanted to help. How much did it cost to fly to the opposite coast, hotel rooms, meals, a fancy cruise ship, etc. I realize that every time they pan stuff (like the name of the ship) it's either free or they get a significant discount, but it seemed strange. Then for some reason they could only deliver part of their donations.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4113592;
    I still remember the episode where the twins had to take some type of national exam. I believe it was AMY who registered them. She got them a self-study book (which I don't believe they ever bothered to look at) and on the day of the exam, it was AMY who had to rouse them out of bed, and it was AMY they went to when they realized they had to take a certain type of pencil with them. Geez. These kids need to do this stuff on their own - or with a lot less help from Mom.

The trip to Haiti was very odd. They spent less than 8 hours with the people they wanted to help. How much did it cost to fly to the opposite coast, hotel rooms, meals, a fancy cruise ship, etc. I realize that every time they pan stuff (like the name of the ship) it's either free or they get a significant discount, but it seemed strange. Then for some reason they could only deliver part of their donations.
    I agree about the trip to Haiti. At first, I thought they were going because they were "bringing" the donations and making sure that it all got where it was supposed to go. But what was the point of taking a whole cruise just to hurry and get there with just a few donations?? I just didn't get that at all.

And as for Amy as a hovering mom, I guess you're right. If they have Mom to do most of everything, why should they bother to do it themselves? There's a point during parenting where you have to let them sink or swim. I think Matt is a little too removed from parenting and Amy is too involved.

+ Reply to Thread