+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3703864;
    Giving these people more time would result in nothing being accomplished- most are argumentative and angry and hell bent on not throwing anything away. With only two days they don't have enough time to keep saying " you can't throw this out." Most are in do or die situations, in which they will be losing their homes or apartments or children if immidiate action isn't taken. Maybe after the clean up they are pointed toward proper mental health help. I know the folow ups seem to suggest this as well as stating most are doing much better. Most, but of course, not all.
    The other thing is, by giving the hoarders somthing to do (like going through little boxes of stuff) it keeps them distracted while the bigger issues are taken care of by the cleaning crews-they can more effectively shovel through all of the junk and remove it because the hoarder is too busy haggling over a box of junk to get in the way of the major cleaning.
    As long as someone gets some sort of help from this show I don't have any complaints. I also think the families of those who hoard consider this program to be a god send as they are no longer alone in the battle to handle a multi-pronged problem of such magnitude.
    Maybe it is exploitive, but maybe it helps people, too. Including some viewers who may have thought they were the only ones with this problem. If I remember right, a house inspector on one episode said this issue is far more wide spread than most people believe.
    I think the fact that they are in "do or die" situations should make it much more urgent. Maybe they should be just going in and clearing out and then provide therapy as they move forward to try to avoid getting back into the situation. I have seen a few cases where they give the hoarder one thing to focus on while people clean in another area, but this seems to be the exception to the rule from what I have seen. They have had more than one hoarder on this show that barely was able to put a dent in the mess and then declined the help that was offered to them beyond the scope of the show. So far I am thinking only around 50% of the hoarders took continued help, with another 50% declining. There was even a case where the hoarder simply moved out of the house rather than dealing with it!! I have a very pessimistic view regarding the "success" of this show so far.

I would like to add that I am not a mental health professional. I am assuming they know better than I what negative effect it would have on the hoarder if they cleaned up without their help. On the other hand it seems like a better alternative than having them lose their home and end up out on the street...

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I just realized - the therapy is backwards. These people don't need help cleaning up; they need to learn to not accumulate stuff in the first place.

Maybe therapy should consist of cleaning up the home, but throwing nothing away at this point. Just stuff it all in a storage unit (though some of these people might need a warehouse!). A therapist would have to live-in with the person for a couple of weeks (at least) to teach the hoarder new ways to deal with the urges to collect/buy/hoard. Then a friend/spouse/other family member would have to be taught to continue monitoring the person and reminding them of the new rules/thought patterns they should be following.

Incredibly expensive and impractical, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3704252;
    I just realized - the therapy is backwards. These people don't need help cleaning up; they need to learn to not accumulate stuff in the first place.

Maybe therapy should consist of cleaning up the home, but throwing nothing away at this point. Just stuff it all in a storage unit (though some of these people might need a warehouse!). A therapist would have to live-in with the person for a couple of weeks (at least) to teach the hoarder new ways to deal with the urges to collect/buy/hoard. Then a friend/spouse/other family member would have to be taught to continue monitoring the person and reminding them of the new rules/thought patterns they should be following.

Incredibly expensive and impractical, I know...
    I agree with "your" method. I think that "they" are kind of in the early stages of figuring out how to treat this illness. I'm sure that new ways to deal with it will be popping up. They send other sick people to rehab for weeks/month so how can they possibly expect these people to change their behavior in 2 days? Other addictions are treated cold turkey. They don't let them cut back on their drugs or alcohol for a few days and then send them to rehab. If someone is living in an extremely unhealthy situation (that is also unhealthy for any apartments or houses nearby) remove them from the situation! Trained workers can sort through the stuff, separate trash from keepsakes or usable items, store it and let the hoarder sort through the remaining stuff AFTER GETTING SOME KIND OF THERAPY. Most of these people don't even know what they have. They haven't seen most of the stuff in years. They wouldn't even know that it was missing. I HATE the way that these people are being dealt with. It's like letting the inmates run the asylum!

Jumping in with a suggestion for the kid's artwork, you can also scan it & save it to your computer. Of course, I've yet to do this, but I've heard.....
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3704731;
    Most of these people don't even know what they have. They haven't seen most of the stuff in years. They wouldn't even know that it was missing.
    I completely agree!! When I clean out my own closet and start to think "I could use this someday" I try to stick to the 2-year-rule: If I haven't used it in the last 2 years, it is highly unlikely that I am going to use it in the next 2 years (or beyond). It has served me very well!

That's a good rule to follow, CRTW.

I have also heard that if one goes shopping and brings in, say, seven bags of stuff......they should then gather up seven bags of other stuff and get rid of that!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat;3705881;
    Jumping in with a suggestion for the kid's artwork, you can also scan it & save it to your computer. Of course, I've yet to do this, but I've heard.....
    The other thing I did with the kids' artwork and essays was to send them to a grandmother. They got to enjoy them; I didn't feel bad about getting them out of my house that way. I knew the grandmothers would throw them away - and that was okay - I just didn't want to be the one to do it (illogical, I know...).

After reading this thread, I finally got to watch this show. Got to see the cat hoarders, the young guy with his alcoholic father, the 28-year-old girl and the woman who moved out of her house and was ready to foreclose on both houses. W - O - W. I'm amazed at the boyfriend of the 28-y-o who owned the condo with her and at the husband of the woman who moved. How could they put up with it and are they hoarders as well?

All I can say is I'm ready to get rid of some stuff here at home.... like now.

So tonight we watched the new episode.... (guess I'm talking to myself here) and it was so sad that the hoarders on this episode were both unsuccessful.

Why, after the big clean-up at Patty's house, didn't they have the carpets steam cleaned? It was wonderful to see the house cleared out and set up normally, but dang, the carpeting was filthy.

I watched tonight's show too. The father in MA is beyond help, I am afraid. He has rental property that can not be rented out since it is filled up with so much stuff. The wife says they have lost thousands of dollars a year....going on 20 years!....because these properties cannot be rented out. I did appreciate the daughter's bedroom being nice and neat. I probably would have moved out long ago! The rest of the house was a mess. The fact that the wife fell down the stairs and broke her arm was not enough for him to get a clue. Maybe now that she actually had a heart attack, he will make a commitment to put his family first. I see a long road ahead for him.

Then there was the mother in Kansas, whose two children were removed and living with the grandparents. The house looked really great after the clean up crew cleaned it out. Especially that kitchen! At the end of the show it stated that the husband divorced her and got custody of his son. Guess the daughter was still living with the grandparents. At the very end of the show, they showed the mother in the bathroom maybe brushing her teeth or something. Was that after the big cleanup? If so, she went back to letting things get out of control because that bathroom was a mess.

+ Reply to Thread