+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;3699329;
    I heard about this show but haven't seen it yet. When is it on?
    Mondays at 10pm and then a repeat at 2am. It's kind of hard to remember.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I don't know....I still have issues about this show. I won't watch it anymore. I think it's gone beyond helping people who need and want it to exploiting very mentally ill. It comes off as cruel to me.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3699352;
    Mondays at 10pm and then a repeat at 2am. It's kind of hard to remember.
    The episodes are also available online - just google hoarders A&E

New episode tonight...from the A&E website:

Hoarders : "Kerrylea; Lauren"
    A woman who purchased two homes to continue storing items risks losing them both; and a young woman whose relationship with her boyfriend is threatened...
    I am on the west coast so will watch in a few hours.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I recall Delta Burke acknowledging her hoarding issues, quite some time ago. She had 7 jam-packed storage sheds (the big ones) full to the brim with plain and simple crap. Papers, mostly, if I remember correctly. She didn't realize how bad it was until someone actually, physically showed it to her. I think she was hiding it from her husband, too.

She did get help, I understand, but if she went back to her old ways it wouldn't surprise me.

Interesting subject, I just wish it were illustrated without being gruesome and offensive.

You can count me in with those who were wondering if all those wine bottles were going to be recycled!!

The other thing I was thinking, especially in the case of the cat couple was the condition of their carpet. Yes, they got the animals and clutter out, but it doesn't seem healthy to even live with the carpet. It has to be completely soiled and smelly from tons of cats running around in there for so long...

Aside from the odors in the carpeting, the team pulled out how many cat/kitty carcasses or partial carcasses from that house? Or were they mostly found in the garage?

I watched Monday night's show and had high hopes for both women, especially the 28-year-old....kind of nip this in the bud now, while young sort of thing. But in the end, she couldn't do it. When her boyfriend drove away, I wondered if he was never coming back.

I did feel for the older woman, with the two houses facing foreclosure, when the team took the roll-top desk out and tossed it in the junk trunk. I knew she didn't want to get rid of it. Her husband was a saint for putting up with her.

JD, wow, I never heard about Delta Burke and her hoarding!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

You can count me in with those who were wondering if all those wine bottles were going to be recycled!!

Well, I asked at our recycling center today and the people there didn't know. I tried to explain about the show, but English isn't their first language, so there was a bit of a communication problem. From a practical standpoint, I'd guess the bottles were recycled for the simple reason that recycling them would be free, whereas dumping them would cost $.

I just watched the latest episode. I get as frustrated with some of these organizers as I do the hoarders. There was an extra scene with Lauren (the 28-year-old). She found a box of coupons - the coupons were neatly stowed in a small plastic box - and the organizer suggested she go through the coupons right them. What the heck! She'd spend an hour or more doing it when so much more could be accomplished in an hour (well, if Lauren didn't hide out in her room).

My husband has hoarding tendencies. So I have to work to keep the clutter under control. He likes getting things for free (at garage sales or if neighbors are giving something away). Fortunately, he doesn't get attached to things. He just likes to find them and bring them home. He checks the garbage to see what I'm throwing away, and will gripe sometimes, but he lets it go. If I can get it out of the house without him seeing it, he never misses it. And he'll take bags of stuff to Goodwill without complaint. But if he lived by himself, he'd be a candidate for this show.

I should probably stop watching this show because it frustrates me to no end!! WHY do they give them people to haul off all their in two days and then team them up with organizers/therapists who encourage them to move at a snail's pace!? I had just about had it when the lady found out the the cleaning woman had picked up trash in the bathroom and then called the homeowner up and then she proceeded to basically dump out the entire bag and go through it one....piece....of...garbage.. ..at....a....time....

I also thought it was sad and yet also infuriating that those people bought a second home and then didn't move (because they couldn't get the first one cleaned up?) And then sat on the situation while they burned through their life savings and now have four mortgages on two homes, both of which are being threatened with foreclosure. It just strikes me as a colossally irresponsible financial decision.

Giving these people more time would result in nothing being accomplished- most are argumentative and angry and hell bent on not throwing anything away. With only two days they don't have enough time to keep saying " you can't throw this out." Most are in do or die situations, in which they will be losing their homes or apartments or children if immidiate action isn't taken. Maybe after the clean up they are pointed toward proper mental health help. I know the folow ups seem to suggest this as well as stating most are doing much better. Most, but of course, not all.
    The other thing is, by giving the hoarders somthing to do (like going through little boxes of stuff) it keeps them distracted while the bigger issues are taken care of by the cleaning crews-they can more effectively shovel through all of the junk and remove it because the hoarder is too busy haggling over a box of junk to get in the way of the major cleaning.
    As long as someone gets some sort of help from this show I don't have any complaints. I also think the families of those who hoard consider this program to be a god send as they are no longer alone in the battle to handle a multi-pronged problem of such magnitude.
    Maybe it is exploitive, but maybe it helps people, too. Including some viewers who may have thought they were the only ones with this problem. If I remember right, a house inspector on one episode said this issue is far more wide spread than most people believe.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

+ Reply to Thread