+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 135354555657585960616263
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    My main beef with both shows is that they put this artificial time constraint on the process - two days to clean out. Why? So that they can get lots of DRAMA, of course. It puts everyone under enormous pressure and pretty much guarantees there will be melt-downs. A week would be a better time frame, but that's not going to happen.
    I have a feeling that no matter what time frame you gave a hoarder, they would be working right up to the wire, regardless. Two days is probably cost effective for the production company and also enough time to give them a good push in the right direction. I think that a short deadline like that also helps them to buckle down and work. In some cases - like the ones where CPS is involved - the time frame is often 2 or 3 days to get the house cleaned up before a case worker comes back (true also for the health dept. on some episodes).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Those are good points Critical. Especially about CPS. And of course hoarders must be masters at all types of procrastination!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    ITA with all here - hoarding stuff is one thing and certainly is a problem. But these people with dead animals, fly strips that are covered, a frig full of rotting food, broken toilets/bags of feces, etc, etc? THAT's mental illness pure and simple and should be treated as such. These people are not going to benefit from a one-time clean out and a camera-ready "therapist" spouting some pop psychology.

Agree, I don't think a professional organizer is going to help them much.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread