+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

I believe my MIL is a hoarder. (My husband & his sister agree). My FIL is the one that keeps the house under control. He throws things out behind her back & has other items meticulously organized. There is still far too much stuff in their home & on their property, but if it wasn't for him we'd probably be calling A&E. FWIW, I think part of it has to do with her being one of the older kids in a very large family, & not having a lot of space or things of her own growing up.

As for the woman who was s****ing in her own tub...I think the spectrum of "hoarder" is a wee bit too wide. My MIL may be a hoarder but she would never do that. That woman is seriously mentally ill & calling her problem "hoarding" is ridiculous.
    dagwood and jenniferboston1 like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think on some level a hoarder must know that their home is different from other people's homes, hence the reason why so many are recluses and don't let people into their homes. You don't have to know why you're an alcoholic to tell that you have a problem with alcohol that other people don't have and to seek help for it. In the same line of reasoning, a person doesn't have to understand why they hoard to know that they are out of control. If nothing else, if a hoarder lives alone, has no family, friends, or co-workers that stop by and tell them they have a problem, I would think a notice from the city that something has to be done about their hoard would be a clue that they need help.

I can't begin to understand a hoarder's mind and why they feel the need to hang on to their junk but I find it even harder to understand when people living with or in contact with the hoarder continue to enable them.

I really felt for the poor girl (Trish) who did report her mom to CPS and was told that she was almost 18 anyway so they wouldn't do anything about it. I thought adults were required to provide a clean and safe environment for their children. It's shameful that CPS failed to do their job in this case.
    Around here (and I think most places are the same) a child must have access to an area to sleep, a working toilet/bathing facilities and a place to prepare food.

All these poor kids have NONE of that. And if those horrible hoarder parents know what the other kids were saying about their kids it might stop.....then again, maybe not. Most hoarders act so darn passive but then the anger comes out when others are trying to help.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadmus126 View Post
    That woman with the pee in the jugs was a pig didn't you see the feces in the tub and all the feces coming out of the toliet I wanted to vomit.
    She made me ill. IMO, she wasn't a hoarder, she has other mental problems.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    She made me ill. IMO, she wasn't a hoarder, she has other mental problems.
    I agree, at that point it goes beyond hoarding.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm watching the season 3 premiere of Buried Alive and MAN, this woman is delusional. This is the one who is a retired model and who moved out of her house that was completely filled with garbage and now her daughter wants to move into the home. They have to clean it all up first though.

This woman is climbing around the house itemizing all the things that she claims people have stolen. ...mostly things she says she found on the side of the road. She just ranted about how much waste there is in this country and how lazy people are and how they should just clean things up. Irony completely lost on her. Like it's not all wasted sitting in her house instead of being taken to the Goodwill where people who could us those things would have access to them.

This woman is clearly mentally unbalanced.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Watching Hoarders from last week. Is it bad that the daughter with 'PTSD' because of her mom is making me want to smack her. Everytime a camera gets within 100 feet of her she goes into this cry about how horrible it all is. All I see is no tears and a "pity me" attitude. She seems so fake, I hate to say it. Her mother, the hoarder, had a husband who would bring his girlfriends home to their house and tell her the kids hated her. She has problems...the daughter just seems like a whiner to me.
    captain likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The most recent episode of Hoarders still has my skin crawling. Between the maggots in Barbara's freezer and the spider webs in Fred & Mary's house, I'm in a constant state of goosebumps.

Spider webs that look like lace is one thing. Spider webs that look like linen is another!!!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Another case in the Chicago area.... a woman, not heard from in about a month, was found dead and decomposing under piles of her hoard.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I watch Hoarders and Buried Alive only when I have nothing else to watch...and definitely never when eating anything.
    I started one tonight and am unsure if I'll finish it. This was the woman who had all those cats that use the whole house as a bathroom and she can't afford adult diapers so sleeps on newspapers on a urine soaked mattress. Lordy!!
    And then there's always those sticky strips that hang from the ceiling with thousands of dead flies and bugs on them, even though there are cockroaches and spiders everywhere else!!
    These people have to be really ill to live that way. I think I watch sometimes because of the shock value, like looking at a traffic accident. Until this show, I had absolutely no idea that these situations existed. When I thought about hoarders, I only thought about people who have too much junk.

I do not think they are showing "hoarders" any more. I personally believe they are showing people with a mental illness. This is what I found for the definition of hoard: supply or fund stored up and often hidden away. It has nothing to do with the filth they have been showing on the shows. The only good thing that I get out of the shows is to clean out my refrigerator after each episode. I could not even imagine the smell of some of the ones on the show.
    libgirl2 and Fanny Mare like this.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread