+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I said the exact same thing!
    All I can think is she would bring creepy crawly bugs into my house!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    That woman was not mentally stable. Im sorry but I have no sympathy for these people. I just dont see how having people dying forces you to live like a wild animal. The only people I feel bad for were her neighbors who had to smell the odors coming from the house. Im sure they all had a party when they saw them drag Mary away and the house was boarded up.
    Giggity, I agree with you. I can't seem to conjure up any kind of sympathy for these people and I know they always say that hoarding is a mental health condition but I can't ever seem to figure out how death becomes the reasoning for these people to turn their homes into giant trash cans.
    Debb70 likes this.

You have to keep in mind(something I have to do with my Mom) is alot of these people grew up in the depression where they had so little. In their minds there is a use for everything so nothing should be thrown away. It is very difficult to get into an 87 year old's mind that she is no longer that 7 year old girl who had to share her worn out shoes with her sisters.
    My Mom is not the garbage, poopy diaper, animal hoarder. She doesn't see the point of not collecting margerine tubs & plastic containers you get from a grocery store bakery. I also think that woman has almost every outfit she bought when she moved into her now present home which was 60 years ago. My oldest son now lives with her & he is starting the process of cleanning up but he has to go slow or she will freak-out even though she has forgotten about 99% of the stuff that is there.
    You can walk through her home just fine. It isn't only pathways, it is wide open & not smelly. Just don't try and open up my closets or drawers. You wouldn't know she hoards until you open up those. Her hoard is in there. We did her basement 2 years ago and hauled away 2 dump trucks until she had a melt down and we had to stop.
    You can't get mad or upset with her; she just don't understand why she doesn't still need a plastic blueberry muffin container from 1987. No the muffins were not still inside.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 01-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    fireflyer likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fanatic

I cant think of many of the Hoarders on the show who have been old enough to be children of the depression.
    I dont really think those are the people being portrayed on the show. Old people hold on to crap. That just the way they are. The people im talking about and the ones on the show, are this mental cases who are disgusting slobs.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

What was the point of fixing up Carrie's upstairs into a Buddhist prayer room?? Wouldn't that money have been better spent to get the plumbing and electrical fixed and to replace the nasty bathroom appliances and carpeting in the house?

Why would somebody keep pee in jars??? If my water and electric was out, I would go outside to do my business if I had to (not that I ever see myself getting in that predicament). Or at the very least, go into the jars and then take the jars outside to dump them, clean them, and reuse them.

I can't believe they didn't have Carrie committed. IMO, when sanitation issues are involved in a hoarding situation, the person is not of sound mind and needs to have serious in-house therapy until they can begin to understand why that is wrong on so many levels.

I don't understand people who let hoarders bully them into living in their crap, too. James' wife has a right to throw out what she wants to make her house livable. James is in a wheelchair so it's not like he could do anything if she threw out that moldy, maggot-infested cantaloupe in the kitchen and his rusty junk in the yard. Why can't people stand up to them and say no, I will not permit you to do this to our house?

One thing I can say about this show is it's done wonders for my own housekeeping. I had dishes in the sink for two days and while watching Hoarders tonight, I went out to the kitchen during commercial breaks and got them done. I'm not letting my place get it's nasty as those hoarders' homes!
    Debb70 likes this.

I agree, Pikachu. The family passivity is strange. If I lived with a hoarder, I'd pick up the trash, I'd wash the dishes and clean the stove. If the hoarder couldn't part with something I'd at least stack it into a neat little pile. I get that the non-hoarders become "overwhelmed," but you don't get overwhelmed if you clean a little along the way. They're as much a part of the problem as the hoarder.

Okay, I missed the pee in jars.... I guess it is about on the level of feces in bags, but pee can easily be dumped outside! Ugh!

I do think some of these people who live with hoarders could do more. I understand maybe the kids who have grown up with this not doing much, but an adult? I agree Candor, at least to straighten it up etc....
    Debb70 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I think it's very similar to an abuse situation. First of all, it's a very gradual process and it builds slowly until the damage is done. Secondly, quite often, families who are abused will tiptoe around the abuser to prevent any kind of an attack. I think the same gradual process happens with the hoarder. The hoarder will get so upset by any adjustment to their horde, that it's easier to just let them be. Trying to keep peace in your home, (the place where you are supposed to be the most safe and at ease), is paramount to many family members of horders... they'd rather just keep the peace and live with the horde, than deal with the situation.
    I also expect many of the family members are suffering depression as well, having to live in situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggety22
    I cant think of many of the Hoarders on the show who have been old enough to be children of the depression.
    I dont really think those are the people being portrayed on the show. Old people hold on to crap. That just the way they are. The people im talking about and the ones on the show, are this mental cases who are disgusting slobs
    Mental disease is a physical disease (just like any other disease) only it affects the brain. It's not the fault of the person who has it.
    I admit, I have times where I see garbage bags piled up and I'm like, why the heck didn't they just toss them to the curb? But I don't know why. They probably don't know why, but it's key to know that they are compelled to horde... it's not something they decide they WANT to do, and it's not something they can really help. Which is why they need psychological help following the clean-up.
    It bothers me that in our society that many understand that if someone has MS, parkinsons, childhood diabetes, etc., it's unpreventable. But diseases of the brain (mental cases as you put it) are somehow preventable by the person that has them.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think on some level a hoarder must know that their home is different from other people's homes, hence the reason why so many are recluses and don't let people into their homes. You don't have to know why you're an alcoholic to tell that you have a problem with alcohol that other people don't have and to seek help for it. In the same line of reasoning, a person doesn't have to understand why they hoard to know that they are out of control. If nothing else, if a hoarder lives alone, has no family, friends, or co-workers that stop by and tell them they have a problem, I would think a notice from the city that something has to be done about their hoard would be a clue that they need help.

I can't begin to understand a hoarder's mind and why they feel the need to hang on to their junk but I find it even harder to understand when people living with or in contact with the hoarder continue to enable them.

I really felt for the poor girl (Trish) who did report her mom to CPS and was told that she was almost 18 anyway so they wouldn't do anything about it. I thought adults were required to provide a clean and safe environment for their children. It's shameful that CPS failed to do their job in this case.

That woman with the pee in the jugs was a pig didn't you see the feces in the tub and all the feces coming out of the toliet I wanted to vomit.

+ Reply to Thread