+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Even the daughter seemed pretty laid back about knocking the roaches out of the way while she was cooking. Definitely some dynamics going on behind the scenes on this one.
    She did seem very laid back about it... I would have screamed! Heck, I wouldn't live there. I'd rather sleep in my car then a place like that. Imagine they probably carried roaches to other peoples home etc.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    She did seem very laid back about it... I would have screamed! Heck, I wouldn't live there. I'd rather sleep in my car then a place like that. Imagine they probably carried roaches to other peoples home etc.....
    The exterminators were finding them on themselves as they were headed to their truck the first time they went into the house. Yuck. Can you imagine sitting next to either one of those kids in school?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    The exterminators were finding them on themselves as they were headed to their truck the first time they went into the house. Yuck. Can you imagine sitting next to either one of those kids in school?
    I kept thinking who would want to be friends with them? Have them over to their homes? Yuck!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't understand how the mother got full custody of the kids. If she is physically unable to take care of her children, she had no business having them in her house. It's not fair to the kids to have to take care of their mother.

Although I don't understand how NOBODY in the house was able to take out any trash. So what if mom is too lazy or too disabled to take out the trash? If I lived in that home as a kid, I would have started bagging junk up and taking it out myself. The daughter mentioned she didn't know what stuff to throw out. Um, how about all those empty diet coke boxes and cans? How about empty cans and boxes from stuff opened in the kitchen to make meals? How about rotten food?

I don't buy the excuse of not taking out trash because a trash can wasn't available. You can always set a garbage bag in a corner or in a box and use it to put trash in. When it gets full you take it out. If the family really must have a trash can to put their trash bag in, they could go and buy one. They're not that expensive. If they couldn't afford one, I'm sure a friend or family member could give them one.

So many excuses, when there's really no excuse for living that way. The whole family is messed up. I really hope that the kids seek counseling so that they don't become just like their mother when they move out.

What really got me, besides the bugs, were the used needles lying all over the place. That family was just plain lazy. Mom has custody of the kids because the kids equal more government money for her. Those kids are still in their teens so I am guessing the parents have to be at least 10 years younger than me so why do they look at least 10 years older? Don't give me the "disabled" story either. I went 2 rounds with cancer with surgeries & still kept my home clean. Why is it so much easier or why is it OK to just throw garbage on the floor?
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 01-04-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    What really got me, besides the bugs, were the used needles lying all over the place. That family was just plain lazy. Mom has custody of the kids because the kids equal more government money for her. Those kids are still in their teens so I am guessing the parents have to be at least 10 years younger than me so why do they look at least 10 years older? Don't give me the "disabled" story either. I went 2 rounds with cancer with surgeries & still kept my home clean. Why is it so much easier or why is it OK to just throw garbage on the floor?
    Oh God yes, the needles! Absolute insanity and laziness. Pigs live cleaner.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yep, it takes no more energy to keep a house free of trash than it does to get around in said trash. Mom could have just as easily put a garbage bag or a box in the corner near her chair was to put soft drink cans and boxes in. Just having trash off the floor and in garbage bags would have been a vast improvement over the filth they were living in with the roaches.

I hope that family cleans up their act. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to find out in a follow-up visit that mom died from complications of her 13 disabilities and was found half-eaten by the vermin in her home.

One thing I really can't fathom about hoarders is how can they stand having to make trails everywhere they go in their home and how do they ever find anything?? My house gets cluttered from time to time but when it starts getting to a point where I can't find a clear space to step on or I have to spend 30 minutes looking for one of my shoes because it's buried in closet clutter, I feel compelled to clean up. I couldn't imagine how claustrophobic it must feel to have junk piled taller than your head and have to squeeze through mountains of junk to get around in your own home! Let alone how bad those places must smell, especially for the junk hoarders.
    Last edited by pikachu; 01-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Yep, it takes no more energy to keep a house free of trash than it does to get around in said trash. Mom could have just as easily put a garbage bag or a box in the corner near her chair was to put soft drink cans and boxes in. Just having trash off the floor and in garbage bags would have been a vast improvement over the filth they were living in with the roaches.
    My ex-daughter-in-law was horrendously messy. Had she continued in her behavior, I think she would have become a hoarder - as would my two granddaughters with her as the example-setter in the home. Fortunately, the granddaughters (now 24 and 15) watch Hoarders and it encourages them to start tossing things, as it does many of us.

Many years ago, my d-i-l and I were having a conversation during which I admitted to being extremely lazy about things like housework (which is why we have a cleaning lady). D-i-l commented, "Lazy? Your house is extremely tidy. Rarely is anything out of place."

To which I responded, "Yep, lazy. If I put things away, I don't have to expend additional energy to look for them. In fact, if you come to my house, and I'm sitting in my recliner and you ask for a pair of scissors, I can tell you to go into the kitchen and look in the top drawer on the right-hand side of the counter. You'll have your scissors and I won't have even had to get out of my chair. That's pretty lazy! Especially when it takes no more effort to put the scissors back in the right place than it does to put them somewhere else."

Being a nice person, I didn't comment to her that if we needed scissors at her house, we'd both spend 30 minutes looking and end up driving to K-Mart to buy a new pair because it would be quicker.

I am the total opposite. I can not stand clutter & mess. My sons both tell me germs have to wipe their feet before coming into my home. My Mom is the total opposite, loses everything but she is 87 so it happens. I have everything organized in labeled plastic totes in my attic.
    My son spent over an hour scrubbing my range knobs with a toothbrush. I would have just put them in the dishwasher. His bedroom has so much in it, he collects these dunny figures, yet his room is neat, clean & organized and never looks cluttered. Did I mention he took down my Christmas decoractions & cleanned my entire house yesterday?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I am not a housekeeper, it is picked up, BUT if you go to my sewing room I can tell you exactly where everything is. It is all priorities.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread