+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

My mom was a hoarder. I remember the 20' freezer being full to the top. There were waist-high piles of newspapers and magazines in her bedroom. She was going to go through them and take out interesting articles and make a scrapbook someday. When she was hospitalized for cancer my dad took this opportunity to take truckloads upon truckloads of stuff to the dump. When she was released from the cancer clinic and transfered to hospital for hospice care, dad wouldn't let her go home first or she would have seen what he had done to "keep busy" while she was getting diagnosed. I always think what a shame it was that she couldn't even drive by and say good-bye to her beloved garden.

My brother ended up with the house and that dreaded freezer. She died in 1973 and in 1984 when I visited him I looked in that freezer. There was still stuff in there she had put there.

Knowing how I was raised and how very easy it would be for me to end up the same way, I make sure to have balance in what goes in or out. If three bags come in during a week, three are going out.....be it to Goodwill, recycling or garbage.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

They should do a show about how people, who realize that they have these tendencies, deal with it so that it DOESN'T get out of hand. I think that when they only show the ones that are so far gone the semihoarders (like myself) think "hey, I don't have to worry about it yet".

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3680323;
    They should do a show about how people, who realize that they have these tendencies, deal with it so that it DOESN'T get out of hand.
    That's why we have organizers on Oprah, Clean House, Mission: Organization, Hannah Help Me and all the rest.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Is anyone watching tonight? It is seriously disturbing. This lady has 40-50 cats.

ETA: Animal control came and found 76 animals. 36 of them were dead. Gross.
    Last edited by AshleyPSU; 09-07-2009 at 11:49 PM.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3693721;
    Is anyone watching tonight? It is seriously disturbing. This lady has 40-50 cats.

And 9 of them are going to be euthanized because they have a fatal respiratory disease. This is beyond belief.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3693721;

OMG, that is just awful, and I thought my next door neighbour with her 6 cats was bad enough.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3693748;
    And 9 of them are going to be euthanized because they have a fatal respiratory disease. This is beyond belief.
    The other story was a 21 year old boy who lives with his father in absolute filth. The father is an alcoholic and the cleaning team found what they estimated to be around 1,000 empty wine bottles. The boy was definitely a hoarder. He was afraid to throw away any hair his dog shed because he thought it would kill his dog. He was really really stressed through the whole thing but made it through.

The cat lady's story was probably one of the most disturbing things I've seen on television in a long time. The cleaning team found all those dead cat bodies and they showed a lot of them on camera. Blah.
    Wake up and be awesome

I need therapy after watching that show. Just from watching those people. Disturbing!!! I know a few people with similar problems but not to that degree. The participants in that show truly are mentally ill.

I did like the way the therapists made the people get rid of their own trash. I would think that all of those places would need new flooring and maybe even walls in some of those rooms with all the dead stuff and animal waste. Yikes.

I lived in a place once where a nearby neighbor ended up having to be physically removed from her condo due to this situation with animals. She had just as many cats living in her 2 bedroom condo and once they removed her and the live cats from the home, the place filled with flies. It was so scary to see from the outside. I don't know how people can live like that with dead animals around them and not know. Yuck.
    At least these older people didn't actually venture into the area where the dead cats were found.... that neighbor of mine had buried a number of cats in the small backyard so they had to have known. So sad!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

These stories go way beyond anything that should be shown on television. I don't see any socially redeeming value - only shock value. I think the organizers and therapists on the show could demonstrate the same kinds of treatments with some less shocking cases. While I feel terrible and shocked about the way these people live, I don't think putting this on tv will help them, only embarrass them. That's why I quit watching a couple of weeks ago. (And started throwing away some of the crap I've been holding onto for absolutely no reason.)

+ Reply to Thread