+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 623
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

  1. #471
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,825

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    I realize that we keep hearing that no one should throw stuff out, but the hoarder, and that it won't work if you do and that they must do it for themself, etc. I realize that, but, what proof do they have as to what really works? The links that I have been provided on treatment confirms that there is no centrally agreed upon treatment for the condition. So, I don't really have much faith in what they say about what works best. Perhaps if a therapist had worked with multiple patients and had tried various methods of treatment, then I might be more impressed with their findings.

    I think there should be studies or some kind of information properly gathered and produced to back up what the experts are saying. If not, then it's just what they think, and may not be accurate. Call me a skeptic.

    I think that if we have to deal with the problem in our own family, then we may have a different viewpoint. I wonder if the hoarder was living next door to me and I had to personally, smell the foul odors and see the piles of junk in the yard everyday, how would I feel then........? I think I know.

  2. #472
    50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,442

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I realize that we keep hearing that no one should throw stuff out, but the hoarder, and that it won't work if you do and that they must do it for themself, etc. I realize that, but, what proof do they have as to what really works? The links that I have been provided on treatment confirms that there is no centrally agreed upon treatment for the condition. So, I don't really have much faith in what they say about what works best. Perhaps if a therapist had worked with multiple patients and had tried various methods of treatment, then I might be more impressed with their findings.

    I think there should be studies or some kind of information properly gathered and produced to back up what the experts are saying. If not, then it's just what they think, and may not be accurate. Call me a skeptic.

    I think that if we have to deal with the problem in our own family, then we may have a different viewpoint. I wonder if the hoarder was living next door to me and I had to personally, smell the foul odors and see the piles of junk in the yard everyday, how would I feel then........? I think I know.
    Once a person has had a heart attack and is in the emergency room, that's NOT the time to sit and talk with them about their poor eating habits, lack of exercise, etc. First, you have to address the crisis, then you work on rehab. IMHO, they should remove these people from the environment and have the professionals clean it up and make it safe. Then bring the person back and supervise them and teach them NEW day-to-day habits. That's when to get the psychologist involved. So many of these folks talk afterward about how free they feel without all the clutter. Give them a fresh start that doesn't involve the stress of going through what everyone else knows is trash.

    Why argue with people whether 5-year-old frozen food is still good? Or whether food in cans that are dented and severely outdated is still okay to eat? Maybe the professionals could do what the folks on Clean House do - have a yard sale. That would address the hoarders belief that there is value in their junk. Of course, any money earned in the yard sale should go to reduce the debt the hoarders have from shopping and ordering stuff from the internet.

  3. #473
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,281

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Maybe what they should consider for treatment is don't have the hoarder work on their own hoard. Let the professionals come in and clear up their hoard and then have the hoarder assist in cleaning someone else's hoard. They might get a different perspective on the trash if they don't have the emotional attachment to the stuff themselves.

    Although worst case scenario, they might end up taking stuff from that hoard back to their own place!
    fireflyer and Debb70 like this.

  4. #474
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,777

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    My workplace has been under construction for some time. Employees cannot park in our lot yet, so we park in on the residential streets. One afternoon, I was walking past one house that had its garage door open. The garage was packed from top to bottom with all kinds of boxes, some flattened, stacks of paper and other things all the way from front to back. My first thought was hoarding. I try to peak in the windows when I walk by nearly every day, but they have heavy curtains and shades on every window. I can see in a small area where the curtain gaps just a little bit, what appears to be piles of stuff.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #475
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,777

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Case of animal hoarding that seems to have lead to the death of a 14 year old boy outside of Chicago.


    Dead Boy, 200+ Animals Found at Berwyn Home | NBC Chicago
    Last edited by libgirl2; 09-09-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  6. #476
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,825

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    It looks like the boys death may be linked to an illness he developed because of the conditions in that house. I doubt they will charge the mother. Hoarders just seem to get away with things because of their disorder. It's rather infuriating.

  7. #477
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,777

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It looks like the boys death may be linked to an illness he developed because of the conditions in that house. I doubt they will charge the mother. Hoarders just seem to get away with things because of their disorder. It's rather infuriating.
    Today, the news mentioned he was disabled. I don't know to what extent, but imagine if he couldn't get around or out to escape the situation? They haven't charged the mom yet.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #478
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,825

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Today, the news mentioned he was disabled. I don't know to what extent, but imagine if he couldn't get around or out to escape the situation? They haven't charged the mom yet.
    Yes, CPS removed other children from the home. The family had lived there for 8 years and no one had seen the kids come out. They did not attend school or attend the doctor. Comments from locals, found below the article, indicate that the smell coming from the house was horrible. Why did no neighbors report this in all those years? It boggles the brain.

    The animals in the house were sick and starving too.

  9. #479
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,777

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    It really makes you wonder, but then again, nowadays who really knows their neighbors. When I was growing up we were all one friendly neighborhood... kids hung out, parents got together for parties and events (we even did vacations)... now I barely know my neighbors.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  10. #480
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    I could have this case confused with another, but I think the neighbors did report the smell and animals. There was a clip of a reporter interviewing a neighbor and she had a stack of paperwork/reports abou the hoarder. I think sometimes the safety systems just don't move fast enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.