+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

I had heard that the TLC version (Hoarding: Buried Alive) started July 10th. Will have to watch for the preview again and pay more attention this time. I was probably cleaning when it came on the first time!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I could be wrong about the date but BOTH will be on this summer....YES! The A&E version is better through.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Pick one word that describes the season opening episode. Mine would be: dysfunctional.

There was a whole lotta mental instability in this episode.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Pick one word that describes the season opening episode. Mine would be: dysfunctional.

There was a whole lotta mental instability in this episode.
    YEP! A&E hit the jackpot with this episode.

I could see so much of my Mom with that 1 woman who went to church daily. Now my Mom does not have bottles off pee and poopy diapers (thank GOD) & she doesn't have stacks upon stacks of garbage she does have alot & I mean ALOT of stuff. The expiring food is a huge issue. Just because the label states "use by 2001" does not mean it is bad
    We have learned to take small steps & get rid of things little by little. My son cleaned up her kitchen yesterday so right now I am waiting for her meltdown. The woman had 3 working George Foreman Grills, 3 toasters, & 2 coffee pots on her countertops. Now she has 1 of each. 10 pie pans...she doesn't bake pie any longer SMH!
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 06-23-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Wow, this show reminds me so much of watching my father-in-law whom had dementia. He would pee and poop in jars and keep old rotten food. That man would curse of to the high heavens whenever we tried to clean up his mess or throw things out that were gross. He really thought there was nothing wrong with it.

This was another sad episode. I think it's not uncommon for older people to not pay attention to expiration dates on food. I had the same problem with my parents, prior to their deaths in their '90's. Also a lot of older people really can't see very well and that just contributes to the problem of keeping old food and cleanliness.
    My mother used to be the cleanest person in the whole world. you could literally eat off her floors but when she got elderly, she just couldn't see the dirt. I hired people to come in twice a month to clean so they wouldn't get sick. Then I found out that one of their toilets was backed up and full of more filth and they wouldn't do anything about it since they had another toilet. They just become different people when they age and it affects life long habits.
    Also many grew up poor or in the depression so they hate to throw out anything.

What did ya'll think about the woman with all the dolls? That part of the episode was filmed right here in the town I live in and the family is well, "known" around here for their many eccentricities. The son - Ed - who was after his mother to get rid of the dolls was two years behind me in school and most folks thought he was odd back then....

And how about the surgery she performed on those dolls!!! Now THAT was a little disturbing!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

They were certainly odd, but I must say it was a pleasure to watch them only have to get rid of a bunch of dolls. To not have to watch animal hoarding, rats, bags and bottles of feces and urine, trash, dead critters, people in surgical masks and suits,shovels full of trash, cat poop on the oven and houses straining under the stress of tons of trash was a small relief. Plus, noone freaked me out more with their dolls that sir whateverhisnamewas that came off like a pedophile.

That being said, yeah, I agree, they were an odd little family and the doll hospital just went to further show how much time the woman spent on those things.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
    And how about the surgery she performed on those dolls!!! Now THAT was a little disturbing!
    Yes, that verged on downright creepy, especially with her having been a nurse. She talked about amputation and donors in such an odd way. Make me wonder why some dolls received "donor" parts and others had to have amputations.
    That nervous laugh of hers really got me too. Such 3 sad sad people.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have a sick fascination with this show. It's hard to watch at times but at least it spurs me on to start on my neglected housework. I usually feel compelled to go get a trash bag and start throwing away stuff in my condo while I'm watching the show.

I admit I have organizational problems of my own, but nothing as bad as I've seen on Hoarders. I have stuff that I have a hard time getting rid of even though I know I don't have room for all of it. I just know as soon as I get rid of something I'm going to need it and I don't want to waste extra money buying it again! Plus some of it I might not be able to replace.

I wish I had the space and the people to help do what I've seen on organization shows before--they take everything a person owns out of the house, separate it into piles (clothes, books, appliances, etc) decide what to keep, and donate or throw out all the rest of it. I think I could get a better perspective on the situation if I could go through it all at once like that.
    reemcook and Cornholio like this.

+ Reply to Thread