+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

i saw parts of last night's episode. i think dude was def a hoarder tho. i do think laziness played a role, but at some point even the most lazy of lazies would have made some moves on that place. for him to bge just sitting around in piles of sh_t p(literally), he def has a problem beyond plain laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3678068;
    Anyone see last night's show? I felt the woman really did have a hoarding problem, but I didn't think the guy did. The woman had trouble getting rid of some things and got very irritable and stressed when they were cleaning her place. I felt like the guy was lazy and just didn't care. He had no trouble getting rid of anything and was happy when they cleaned his place. That didn't seem like a person who had a compulsion to hoard. The lady who was helping him clean said there was human excrement on his bathroom floor. It was like he was too lazy to flush his used toilet paper or something. His bed was surrounded by pizza boxes, empty soda cups, empty food wrappers. That doesn't say hoarder to me, that says lazy.

Anyone see last night's show? I felt the woman really did have a hoarding problem, but I didn't think the guy did. The woman had trouble getting rid of some things and got very irritable and stressed when they were cleaning her place. I felt like the guy was lazy and just didn't care. He had no trouble getting rid of anything and was happy when they cleaned his place. That didn't seem like a person who had a compulsion to hoard. The lady who was helping him clean said there was human excrement on his bathroom floor. It was like he was too lazy to flush his used toilet paper or something. His bed was surrounded by pizza boxes, empty soda cups, empty food wrappers. That doesn't say hoarder to me, that says lazy.
    I hadn't thought of it( the way that you put it) that way but I think that you might be right! He DID seem happy just to have them clean up the place and he was handled differently than other hoarders have been handled. I think that the woman that helped was "just" a professional organizer NOT A therapist. HMMMMMMM, what's up? I actually like the way that his mess was dealt with better than the others. So far, no one, that has been in control of their own clean up, has gotten it done! Clean up the mess (regardless of the stress to the hoarder) because THEY ARE ALREADY STRESSED). Get it done! Remove the cause of the immediate stress and then start therapy. Teach them how to prevent it from happening again! It's like being an alcoholic (one day at a time) well, with hoarders it's one item at a time. So far the therapists (not the organizers) have failed on this show. None of the people who needed to get the job done have gotten it done in the time allowed. I have to add that it DID bother me to see the woman's son throw out a REALLY GOOD art deco figurine! That's where maybe, just , maybe it might be nice if some kind of antique expert could be on hand. I don't mind seeing human feces being thrown out but I HATE it when quality stuff is tossed. I don't think that this show has enough staff to REALLY help.

okay i love this show. Not b/c i get to watch completely insane people think its okay to live in such disarray and flith. But the excuses they make. The second episode was about the older lady who thought that everything was okay to eat even after its expiration date, as long as it wasnt "puffy". What the heck.. i seriously had to pause the t.v., rewind and relisten to her excuse, and she told this excuse half a dozen times. So i knew that my hearing wasnt going. Then when they cleaned out her fridge draw, that had all that fluid in it, everyone was getting sick, about to throw up, and she was like like oh whatever ill just wash it out, and gets to work saying "sells a bit fishy". But she wanted to keep some things that were in that same draw with the nasty, stank, vile, liquid that was turning everyones stomach. Then when her son, was going to throw out the whole cooler b/c it was just as bad as the fridge she wanted to keep it, and was freaking out about it. All that stuff was probably YEARS old, and she thought it was OKAY to keep it even if it was GREEN and rotting b/c it wasnt "puffy". Then when they showed you around her house, you could see all the rotting pumpkins and other rotting foods. Just made me so sick. Also, when she was talking to the Dr. about it she didnt seem embarresed at all, not in the least! I would have been so horrified if i had to have that happen to me, have it all over national t.v. that i am a digusting pig and im okay with it.

When the same lady made her "meal" and was walking through her cluttered path of rotting pumkins and cat poop, she was like "yum finger foods!" i was like, how the heck can you even sit down anywhere, number one. Number two, how can you stand to EAT anything? Im sure the stuff she cooked, was OLD and rotting. She was right when she said she had a stomach of steel. B/c i know no one in there right mind would eat anything at her house, or be able to keep it down.

The last episode was with the older gentalman (im using that lighty) and he was living in that apartment. I didnt get to watch it all the way through b/c i feel asleep, b/c my mind was NUMB to the fact that people live with this, and think its okay. I have it recorded so when i get the stomach ill go back and watch the rest, but from what i did see he seemed like a nice guy. Nice, not good looking, but well educated (maybe) b/c he spends so much time at the library, "just to get away from my apt and the flith". I saw on the commerical that his bathroom was just like a huge mess, like vile. Almost like he just went anywhere he could go, either it be number one or two, he just went anywhere. That to me, isnt a sign of hoarding thats a sign that you need some serious mental health. Like he said himself that he has mental problems, well get some better help. He seems to be living the easy life living off tax payers dollars, so why not get the REAL help you need.

Also i wanted to touch on the woman and man that were in the first espiode. They were "partners". Married, partners, either way he was a hoarder and she was a shopper. Horrible mix. But i loved that when he was gone, she was like "throw it out, trash it, trash this, trash that, this can go, this can go. Lets do the attic while hes gone" She took major charge when he was gone b/c for him it would be to much.

These people are in a major crisis in there life, and they have a team that is WILLING to go into there home and CLEAN it, and they only have TWO days. Some people ive seen sitting there debating over something so trival as a bag of lettus for ten minutes. Its OLD throw it out. Time is running out, and you can be homeless if you dont move it along, so hurry it up. Mostly about the older lady on the 2nd episode. Something about her just really made me want to strangle her. But i know that in the end she is the one that is most likey not to change. She will continue to hoard and then what, she'll be homeless and then she will really have nothing. Which will only make hoarding worse for her in the long run. She needs the most help out of everyone on the show ive seen thus far.

I like the show, its interesting, and it comes on after intervention. So thats always nice.
    If I were sand and you were oceans,
    The moon would be why you're pulled to me.

Anyone see last night's show? The woman had trouble getting rid of some things and got very irritable and stressed when they were cleaning her place.
    She made me so crazy that I actually yelled @ the television. She couldn't throw most of the crap away but seemed to have no trouble throwing the house away. And it can't be sold because it's full of her crap & falling apart from neglect. I feel terrible for her husband, who needed his half of the money.

FORT Fanatic

I didn't understand why the divorcing couple couldn't get a bank loan to fix up the house and sell it. Did the bank think it wouldn't sell even after fixed up?

they may have bad credit, esp if she's a compulsive shopper. didn't the hubby say something abt not knowing if there was $ in the accts from month to month bc of her shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3679245;
    I didn't understand why the divorcing couple couldn't get a bank loan to fix up the house and sell it. Did the bank think it wouldn't sell even after fixed up?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch this show anymore. I've watched Intervention off and on (more on than off), some episodes of Obsessed and now this show. This one might be a little too over the top. I realize hoarding is a serious and possibly common illness which should be addressed, but I think the emphasis is more on the "side-show" aspect than the causes and treatments.

My heart really hurt for the guy on the last show. I don't think he fit the pattern of a hoarder - I think his other mental illness(es) played a larger part than was shown. From what I've learned, most hoarders can walk out of the house and appear "normal". They shower, dress nicely, keep a job, etc. They just don't let others see how they live at home. That guy was always dirty and didn't or couldn't appear "normal". Although I believe he needed help, and cleaning his apartment was the first step - it won't make much of a difference in his life. I liked the therapist who had the patient make the decisions and feel the anxiety of letting go. I think that's a huge part of the treatment.

As the (side) show is now, I may not be able to watch it anymore. I don't see the shock value as positive in any way - especially when it causes me to lose my lunch.

I just can't watch this show. I caught a few minutes and to see the small! kids! living in such filth makes me sick. How could a parent do that?? I know its a mental illness but..wow..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I confess. I'm pretty sure that I have a bit of a hoarder living inside of me. I can relate to so many of the things that these people say when dealing with getting rid of things. I realized that I liked to collect YEARS ago. I LOVE a good garage sale and a good deal. I'm thrilled my house has NEVER been anywhere near the condition of the homes on this show. When I noticed that I had a problem I started my own kind of self therapy. I'm surprised that some of advice that the hoarders are given is stuff that I've figured out on my own. I canceled ALL magazine subscriptions for starters! I limit my newspapers to the weekend ONLY. YES, I have been tempted with offers of getting it for the entire week, for the same price, but I NEVER take them up on it. I use one kind of shampoo, one kind of lotion and the same makeup. It's so tempting to try all different kinds but then I end up with a bathroom that looks a Rite Aid! I couldn't understand the food hoarder AT ALL. I have NO problem getting rid of old or expired food. I think that it's because it's a no brainer. Once a week before trash pick up anything old goes. I also don't understand the filth with the trash on the floor and sinks that can't even be used. The food lady REALLY seemed to have other mental problems besides the hoarding. When someone is living like that I think that more extreme measures need to be used. This show inspires me to clean and organize so that's why I like it. It also makes my collecting habits seem like nothing compared to these people. I stopped going to garage sales, stopped the "flow" coming in and it seems to be working. One thing that drives me nuts is when I see all of this stuff just getting thrown out. I like that on Dr. Phil and Oprah they have garage sales and some things are donated to charity. All of the people,so far, could have used a little extra cash from selling some of "their treasures". I would like them to take a little more time than 2 days. It's not enough time to do it right.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I do wonder how some of these people (and those on Clean House) can afford all the stuff they buy then never even use. I think the cash savings alone would be a motivation to stop.

I agree with the idea that 2 days just isn't enough time to do it right, and hope extra help is provided afterward.

+ Reply to Thread