+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

I just don't understand this concept of holding on to items for memories. When I threw my husband out I also threw out just about everything in my house.
    To me it was fresh life/start with fresh stuff.

Monday has become my 3 "H" day...House, Ho's & Hoarders.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Looks like another doozie tonight.

Theresa lost several inches of her intestines to gangrene, but still continues to eat expired food. She has also spent $112,000 in less than 18 months . . . . from the looks of things, most of that went into buying purses.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4095627;
    Looks like another doozie tonight.

Theresa lost several inches of her intestines to gangrene, but still continues to eat expired food. She has also spent $112,000 in less than 18 months . . . . from the looks of things, most of that went into buying purses.
    Oh my!

Though perhaps I shouldn't mention the big box in the basement filled with purses.... and to think I feel guilty!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Ok, I will admit I did not spend every second in front of the tv while Hoarders was on last night. Might have made a quick trip to the bathroom and perhaps I got up again to refill my tea cup, but . . . . .

I do not remember hearing the gangrene/intestinal loss mentioned at all! I don't even remember them dealing with the expired food issue. Did I really miss that much or did they not show it? I read that info on the Hoarders Facebook page.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

My brother died this summer, and my other brother and I have been going through his house(s) to help get the estate ready to be closed out. He had somewhere between 60 and 80 suitcases, 2/3 at least functional, a couple hundred pairs of socks, half a year's supply of boxer shorts, and so on. Eventually we started joking that he must have REALLY hated doing the laundry! For the clothes, part of it was that he had changed size a lot, but not all, and of course that's no explanation for the suitcases. It would have been a good "mild" case for Hoarders the way you all describe it, but pretty unnerving in real life. He and I share pack rat tendencies, but he had no spouse to rein him in....yikes. Really have to do something about my basement now--can't leave that for my kids. On the plus side--a bonanza for the local equivalent of Goodwill. He had several camouflage suits which went like hotcakes at the start of elk season. The charity raises money for college scholarships for local kids. At least there wasn't a serious filth/vermin problem so pretty much everything was still usable once washed.

Glad to hear there was a good outcome PWS.

Pretty sure I will never be a hoarder. I don't even like to go away and leave dishes in the sink.

The next episode is another one that will leave you shaking your head. According to the post on Facebook . . . . . the hoarder has failed to notice that a homeless person took up residence among her many piles of stuff.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4099550;
    Glad to hear there was a good outcome PWS.

Pretty sure I will never be a hoarder. I don't even like to go away and leave dishes in the sink.

The next episode is another one that will leave you shaking your head. According to the post on Facebook . . . . . the hoarder has failed to notice that a homeless person took up residence among her many piles of stuff.
    at that... too much! I know this is basically a sad show, but good grief....

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

PWS, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. As hard as it is, I think part of the process of recovery is doing what you have done - sorting out the personalty. It's hard, but it brings you in touch with him. I think there are always mysteries. And, you can never have enough underwear and socks, imo.

Both my husband's parents passed recently, within 6 months of each other. We sorted through about 500 cubic yards of personalty. Most went to Good Will. There were a few mysteries. One was a safety deposit box key. When the box was opened, there was only one thing in it: an earring back (the clutch kind that attaches to a post). No one can figure out why.

Something about sorting through my mom-in-law's things (and my own parents') brought me closer to them, somehow. I hope it brought you closer to your brother, too.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thank you all--yes, it did bring us closer.... and there were some very touching things in the (boxes and boxes of) papers. Small amounts of gold as it were in the huge piles of other stuff---made me wonder what the hoarders are losing as their stuff is tossed by people who don't have time/knowledge/disease resistance to go through it piece by piece.
    All the more reason to go through our own stuff while we still can separate the wheat from the chaff!

PWS, I'm so sorry about losing your brother. I know how hard it is to deal with their belongings and yet, in some ways, I can see how it helps us with a little bit of closure. Six years ago, my brother and I had to take care of my parents house....they had lived there almost 60 years and kept everything. I called it "Deconstructing" the home. It was very very difficult to take apart, undo, give away so much of our past lives.
    Although I say they kept everything, they still had a neat, clean and everything in it's place home. I don't know what we would have done had they been hoarders. Since then, I have always tried to eliminate something old when I buy something new, if for nothing else, but for my daughter when it comes her time to "deconstruct" our home.

+ Reply to Thread