+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4065447;
    I was reading on another site and someone tracked down a criminal record on Sir Patrick - sexual assault.

Offender Details

The blogger who tracked it down says he's had a few known aliases, including this one. Apparently the POW story is known to be a fake as well.

The Troubling History Of ‘Sir’ Patrick O’Shannahan, Epic Hoarder And Convicted Felon – Beginning

I think A&E needs to vette the people a little better.
    Thanks for posting Hepcat, that was really interesting. Freaky, but interesting

As for the other hoarders, I think I'm definitely in the minority from a lot of the posters on this thread because I feel sorry for the ones living in filth. It's way more than just massive laziness. Really, we're all disgusted by it, but who indeed would live like that without some serious mental issues? Dead animals, rotting food, feces? It's so far beyond "I don't feel like taking out the trash today" or "I'll get the toilets next week." That's not just letting things get out of hand and giving up, that's a disease. To be in such denial of the extent of the problem...as most of them seem to be...just underscores how serious the problems are. It almost seems pointless to go in there and do the massive clean-up if there is not some sort of agreement they will get therapy afterwards...'cause you just know without that component of "help" those people are going to be stuck right back in the same situation. All it will take is time.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4065447;
    I was reading on another site and someone tracked down a criminal record on Sir Patrick - sexual assault.

Offender Details

The blogger who tracked it down says he's had a few known aliases, including this one. Apparently the POW story is known to be a fake as well.

The Troubling History Of ‘Sir’ Patrick O’Shannahan, Epic Hoarder And Convicted Felon – Beginning

I think A&E needs to vette the people a little better.
    So his convicted sex offense involves a 22 year old woman, but one of the comments at the end of the blog comes from someone who says she knows about him because child sex offenses.....

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;4065888;

As for the other hoarders, I think I'm definitely in the minority from a lot of the posters on this thread because I feel sorry for the ones living in filth. It's way more than just massive laziness. Really, we're all disgusted by it, but who indeed would live like that without some serious mental issues? Dead animals, rotting food, feces? It's so far beyond "I don't feel like taking out the trash today" or "I'll get the toilets next week." That's not just letting things get out of hand and giving up, that's a disease. To be in such denial of the extent of the problem...as most of them seem to be...just underscores how serious the problems are. It almost seems pointless to go in there and do the massive clean-up if there is not some sort of agreement they will get therapy afterwards...'cause you just know without that component of "help" those people are going to be stuck right back in the same situation. All it will take is time.

I'm not saying these people are not mentally ill, but I think they have been misdiagnosed. Obviously their lives are unmanageable. It's very sad that these situations have become so severe that some are losing not only their homes, but also their families. I suspect they are too embarrassed to ask for help until it's too late.

I don't know if the same treatment is used for both illnesses....but I agree they all need serious, on-going therapy. Both illnesses are tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4065476;
    This show has become too painful for me to watch anymore. It's not hoarding anymore....it's disgusting. It's filthy. Unless I'm mistaken, hoarders don't collect garbage, they collect things they deem important to them. Things they don't want to let go - not bags of garbage, dirty dishes and whatnot. I guess the filth sells - I don't get it.
    There are two seperate conditions-hoarding and cluttering. The hoarder may collect something like hair (there was an episode in the past where a guy would not throw away his dog's hair because he thought the dog would die if he did). The person who clutters may keep items that do have some value and they may keep things neat, but they have tons of just "stuff". More stuff than they will ever know what to do with. Here's a little more on the subject.

Hoarding And Cluttering Defined
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4066320;
    There are two seperate conditions-hoarding and cluttering. The hoarder may collect something like hair (there was an episode in the past where a guy would not throw away his dog's hair because he thought the dog would die if he did). The person who clutters may keep items that do have some value and they may keep things neat, but they have tons of just "stuff". More stuff than they will ever know what to do with. Here's a little more on the subject.

Hoarding And Cluttering Defined
    Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was such a difference - definitely clarifies things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;4065888;

You have a good heart and an understanding that some do not have.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The synopsis posted on Facebook regarding tonight's episode has this to say:

On the next episode of HOARDERS, Vula is hoarding more than 30 sickly cats that use every square inch of the house as a litter box. She has no choice but to clean up or face eviction & the demolition of her home.

So glad that no one has of yet invented SMELL-O-VISION!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4070778;
    The synopsis posted on Facebook regarding tonight's episode has this to say:

On the next episode of HOARDERS, Vula is hoarding more than 30 sickly cats that use every square inch of the house as a litter box. She has no choice but to clean up or face eviction & the demolition of her home.

So glad that no one has of yet invented SMELL-O-VISION!
    I cannot watch this show anymore. It's just too disturbing to me, on too many levels. Part of me finds it just heartbreaking. The hoarders somehow stumbled into this destructive pattern of behavior - and I'm left to wonder why? How in the world did they succumb to this compulsion?

The other part of me is simply repulsed and disgusted, to a degree that I find myself ruminating about it - or worse, dreaming about it. Enough!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

The last few episodes have had hoarders that seem so nice and normal outside of their home. Hard to believe what the inside of their homes look like. Many also seem extremely intelligent. But what stands out to me is how many had something happen, like the death of a loved one or a spouse leaving them that triggered this behavior. I feel so sad for them and their families and I must admit, that I love seeing how their situation changes with help. The last 5 minutes that show an uncluttered livable house always makes me happy for them.
    I'm not grossed out by the ones that just "collect." I have a lot of trouble with the ones who have filth, decay, vermin, etc. For those, I turn off the tv.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Last nights episode was a mix for me.

I found myself feeling sympathy for the teacher with the overbearing mother (glass house . . . throwing stones!). She looked so sad and depressed, but was willing to really let it all go and start fresh. I wish her success.

The other woman . . . . disgust and anger. This kind does not change. She's probably already back to her filthy ways. When the team helping you is putting your stuff into TOXIC WASTE BAGS instead of a Hefty sack, you should know you've gone over the edge. She is definitely in denial. Why the would return any of those cats to her is too far beyond my way of thinking that I cannot even grasp at the idea. She should have been charged with multiple crimes!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread