+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4064144;
    Whenever I know I need to do some cleaning and organizing, but am just not in the mood to do it...watching a few episodes of hoarder type shows really gets me off my tush and motivates me!
    Me too.... I have gone through my frig, vacuumed, dusted and cleaned my closet!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My Mom is one of those who clutter but can very easily turn to hoarding. I am the total opposite; eveything has it's place if not it is gone.

I spent this weekend going through my clothes. It is pointless to keep clothes that are a size 6 when I have been a size 2 for the past 4 years so out they went...or until I mentioned that I was closet cleanning. She insisted on me bring her my clothes. The woman is 86 & wears a size 10. She can not understand how/why my clothes won't fit & are totally inappropiate for her.

I want you all to picture an 86 year old wearing American Eagle sleep pants & a white Aero t-shirt...without a bra...to church.

At least now all of my clothes fit into my closet & dressers without my having to do a change-over from winet to summer & a needy charity got 6 bags a practically new clothes. My Mom on the other hand will be mad at me for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4064482;
    My Mom is one of those who clutter but can very easily turn to hoarding. I am the total opposite; eveything has it's place if not it is gone.

I spent this weekend going through my clothes. It is pointless to keep clothes that are a size 6 when I have been a size 2 for the past 4 years so out they went...or until I mentioned that I was closet cleanning. She insisted on me bring her my clothes. The woman is 86 & wears a size 10. She can not understand how/why my clothes won't fit & are totally inappropiate for her.

I want you all to picture an 86 year old wearing American Eagle sleep pants & a white Aero t-shirt...without a bra...to church.

At least now all of my clothes fit into my closet & dressers without my having to do a change-over from winet to summer & a needy charity got 6 bags a practically new clothes. My Mom on the other hand will be mad at me for a couple of weeks.
    I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way but boy, am I jealous of you!
    I should be and was once a size 2 but now a 6. The older I get, the harder the battle is but I'm like you. If it hasn't been worn for at least a year, out it goes, no matter how "good" it still is.

I have compassion for these people....the clean ones that just hoard...not the dirty ones. It does seem like an addiction and really difficult for some. I just never knew it was as prevelent as it seems to be.
    I also watch American Pickers and there's a whole lot of people out there "collecting" but a lot of those keep their stuff in other buildings, not their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4064629;
    I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way but boy, am I jealous of you!
    I should be and was once a size 2 but now a 6. The older I get, the harder the battle is but I'm like you. If it hasn't been worn for at least a year, out it goes, no matter how "good" it still is.

I have compassion for these people....the clean ones that just hoard...not the dirty ones. It does seem like an addiction and really difficult for some. I just never knew it was as prevelent as it seems to be.
    I also watch American Pickers and there's a whole lot of people out there "collecting" but a lot of those keep their stuff in other buildings, not their homes.
    OK...I AM jealous of both of you!!! I have fluctuated between a size 4 and 22 all my life...up and down...at least 8 times!! That's why I have so many clothes...I hate to throw them out...just in case I lose the weight again. Talk about a battle...I've been in the WAR my entire life...and there's no rest from it! I'm pooped!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Size 2! My first women's size dress was a size 6 back when I was in 7th grade. They didn't even make size 2s then. I was 5'8 and 110 pounds - a real stringbean. I can't even imagine a size 2.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4064936;
    Size 2! My first women's size dress was a size 6 back when I was in 7th grade. They didn't even make size 2s then. I was 5'8 and 110 pounds - a real stringbean. I can't even imagine a size 2.
    I don't know what year you were in 7th grade, Kip, but that is probably a size zero today! They've continually changed the sizing over the years. In the 50's and early 60's a size 10 or 12 fit someone who was 5'4" and 115-120. Unless you went to Saks...then it was an 8. So even then it was flexible. Now it's insane. You can see it on the weight loss shows when people talk about the sizes they now fit into....
    But I agree, changing sizes is one cause of hoarding clothes...you never know what you might fit into in the future. Unless something literally has holes in it it stays in my closet. Or if I decide it is totally ugly in hindsight.
    My sig. other now, has a different problem--running t-shirts...more or less one for every race entered, now numbering at least in the 100's, maybe close to 1000+ at this point. Not otherwise a clothes hoarder, just those shirts....
    Last edited by PWS; 09-20-2010 at 05:51 PM.

I was reading on another site and someone tracked down a criminal record on Sir Patrick - sexual assault.

Offender Details

The blogger who tracked it down says he's had a few known aliases, including this one. Apparently the POW story is known to be a fake as well.

The Troubling History Of ‘Sir’ Patrick O’Shannahan, Epic Hoarder And Convicted Felon – Beginning

I think A&E needs to vette the people a little better.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

This show has become too painful for me to watch anymore. It's not hoarding anymore....it's disgusting. It's filthy. Unless I'm mistaken, hoarders don't collect garbage, they collect things they deem important to them. Things they don't want to let go - not bags of garbage, dirty dishes and whatnot. I guess the filth sells - I don't get it.

TLC has a show called "Hoarding" that I watched the other day, more along those lines. The houses are relatively clean (dust, no animal dung), just cluttered with a lot of things. They focus more on the disease, and organizing and less on the hazmat suit type cleaning situation. Last night was pretty sad with the kids involved.

The preview for the upcoming week makes me go which is probably the idea. First time they needed a decontamination center for the cleaners, and this time it looks like a squirrel-type creature in the kitchen (what was that?) I don't know if people are just coming out of the woodwork to sign up relatives that would most likely not be able to afford the work to attempt clean up or what is going on. It just seems to get worse and worse.

Hoarding I sort of understand (although I am the opposite...we move every 3-5 years or so due to the industry we are in) but I don't get the living in filth. I don't know how they can stand the smell, etc. I can tell you this: my refrigerator has never been so neat and organized. Not so much as one outdated yogurt.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4065535;
    Hoarding I sort of understand (although I am the opposite...we move every 3-5 years or so due to the industry we are in) but I don't get the living in filth. I don't know how they can stand the smell, etc. I can tell you this: my refrigerator has never been so neat and organized. Not so much as one outdated yogurt.
    I was concerned yesterday as the bread we were using with dinner had a sell by date of today! I can't even imagine eating expired foods!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread