+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

From what I understand, there is a difference between hoarders and "clutterers". A person with a ton of clutter may keep things neat and organized but still have way too much of everything. A hoarder keeps just plain nonsense and filth. A hoarder cannot make a rational decision as to what is useful and what is not. A clutterer become overwhelmed by their possessions and has an emotional attachment to things but they do not save garbage. I guess this is why we never see people on this show that may be like the people we've met in our lives who have too much crap but it's neat and organized crap. Most of us know clutterers and not hoarders.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4061067;
    The hardest part about this is the devastating effects on families and on marriages. You look at some of the living situations, ie., the nurse in HI, and I just couldn't believe her husband was still married to her and living with the kids in that filthy mess. Hoarders should probably live alone.

I have hoarders in my family.... oh boy. One has a house that is packed to the gills basement, main area and attic, and 2 car garage just full of magazines, newspapers, coffee cans, bread bags and various chatchkees. In the living room I counted 29 end tables and 37 floral displays.There is a lot of good stuff though, the whole basement is lined with aisles of shelves like a mini-WalMart - tons of stock: soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, etcetc, detergent - laundry and dish, all kinds of cleaning supplies. It's wild. Anything she uses, she buys dozens at a time. About 10 years ago I had 79 bottles of shampoo given to me!

Other things that look like trash to me are not trash to her - ie., the empty bag inside a cereal box - MUST be saved, can be used for something. Depression-time mentality.

I wonder if this would be a good candidate for the show? It's all super-clean, so no possum drama. But LOADS of stuff in a 3/2 house for 1 woman. Everything is justified - "I might need this!"

Sounds like a good candidate for Clean House: Messiest House in America.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

As bad as some of these houses are, I am sure it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Item #1: One Hundred Thirteen Cats (and 14 Dogs) in One Georgia Home!

Ga. woman accused of hoarding animals in home - WTVM.com and WTVM News Leader 9, Columbus, GA |

Item #2: Arizona Trailer with No Running Water and No Litter Boxes!

171 animals seized from Arizona family's home | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Animal fanciers are a whole breed unto themselves. Horrible.

The house has not been demolished yet, drove by tonight
    They did not live in the house any more, they lived in their car, which was filled to the brim like the house
    It was not about money as they ate out all the time
    No, I do not personally know her, just know the situation
    There's no place like home!

The nurse in Hawaii - HELLOOOOOOO! You are a health professional
    Probably not for long. I loved how the therapist DEMANDED that she clean out her own fridge. She tried to get out of it but the therapist was all, "No...this is YOUR mess."

I want to see someone hoard cleaning supplies....and use them!

I want Adelle and Terri to live together and live in each others filth.
    Help control the animal population - spay and neuter your pets!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;4060705;
    That was the first thing my 16 year old said! Of course he was more like...man, is he some kind of weird child molester or what....but same thing.
    Having been molested myself thoughout my childhood, picking up on the perversion vibe is not hard to do...and my radar was definitely going off on that guy!
    Last edited by Holly in SoCal; 09-19-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Whenever I know I need to do some cleaning and organizing, but am just not in the mood to do it...watching a few episodes of hoarder type shows really gets me off my tush and motivates me!

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4064144;
    Whenever I know I need to do some cleaning and organizing, but am just not in the mood to do it...watching a few episodes of hoarder type shows really gets me off my tush and motivates me!
    I know! It's the best show to have on while cleaning!

FORT Fanatic

The nurse who tried to get out of cleaning her OWN fridge just floored me. Imagine asking someone else to clean it up. And she's a health professional who would know more about germs than the average person. If she didn't care about herself, why didn't she care about her husband and CHILDREN????

+ Reply to Thread