+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4060903;
    Yeah, I'm really getting the impression that a lot of these people are just really lazy. I know they like to collect, but the fact that you are wading through garbage on your floor there is a bigger problem. Some of the people who have piles and little walkways through their house I get. It's just the people who have just let their houses go and don't do anything about it that is disgusting. It seems like with those people, hoarding isn't the main issue they are dealing with.
    I agree. I always saw a hoarder as more of a Sir Patrick or even Jo. Likes to buy and accumulate things that actually aren't that bad.... but bags of feces? Rotted food? WAs Robin accumulating cobwebs and dust? For me that borders on lazy and just sicker then hoarding. I know someone who would be considered a hoarder. Ketchup on sale? But 10 of them! Waffles on sale? How about 5 boxes! But never would I see trash or a house you couldn't walk around in safely.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4060954;
    I agree. I always saw a hoarder as more of a Sir Patrick or even Jo. Likes to buy and accumulate things that actually aren't that bad.... but bags of feces? Rotted food? WAs Robin accumulating cobwebs and dust? For me that borders on lazy and just sicker then hoarding. I know someone who would be considered a hoarder. Ketchup on sale? But 10 of them! Waffles on sale? How about 5 boxes! But never would I see trash or a house you couldn't walk around in safely.
    There is also a component of a fear of throwing things away. It is a mental health problem that is not fully understood.

Hoarding - MayoClinic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4060878;
    That is so funny! I'll try to keep that in mind.

I think the new season of Billy comes on tonight or tomorrow night. I hope there are good ones. LOL Did you know Billy got arrested for drug possession about 6 months ago? I saw it on-line. I guess he's still got his job.
    Oh no! Not Billy! I really enjoy that show. I say that he looks like the love child of Ty (Extreme Makeover) and Dog the Bounty Hunter!

The hardest part about this is the devastating effects on families and on marriages. You look at some of the living situations, ie., the nurse in HI, and I just couldn't believe her husband was still married to her and living with the kids in that filthy mess. Hoarders should probably live alone.

I have hoarders in my family.... oh boy. One has a house that is packed to the gills basement, main area and attic, and 2 car garage just full of magazines, newspapers, coffee cans, bread bags and various chatchkees. In the living room I counted 29 end tables and 37 floral displays.There is a lot of good stuff though, the whole basement is lined with aisles of shelves like a mini-WalMart - tons of stock: soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, etcetc, detergent - laundry and dish, all kinds of cleaning supplies. It's wild. Anything she uses, she buys dozens at a time. About 10 years ago I had 79 bottles of shampoo given to me!

Other things that look like trash to me are not trash to her - ie., the empty bag inside a cereal box - MUST be saved, can be used for something. Depression-time mentality.

I wonder if this would be a good candidate for the show? It's all super-clean, so no possum drama. But LOADS of stuff in a 3/2 house for 1 woman. Everything is justified - "I might need this!"

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4060890;
    It's getting annoying, frankly. I know someone who is a clean hoarder and just as clearly needs help dealing with possessions, but they love to find the filthy ones where a big component seems to be laziness or unable to deal with everyday cleaning. They do a better job on "Obsessed" on the shows that deal with hoarders.
    I agree that there are different levels of hoarding. I can (somewhat) understand a mental problem that keeps a person accumulating more and more stuff. But there's a huge difference in people who leave trash, garbage, rotting food, feces all around, like the mother who never threw anything away that we would call trash. That goes way beyond hoarding. It's enough that the amount of dust could cause physical problems but trash/garbage introduces bacteria and bacteria likes to grow and grow......

I'd like to think that if I were a hoarder (God forbid!) I'd at least keep things clean!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

While the poop-in-a-bag lady was gross, at least she lived by herself.

The hardest part of this show for me is people who KNOWINGLY put their children at risk.

The nurse in Hawaii - HELLOOOOOOO! You are a health professional, your very own children are suffering and you think it's beneath you to clean the rotten food out of your own refrigerator?

The most recent episode had the women with three daughters, one of whom thought she'd be better off dead. She's a part-time school bus driver which means she's responsible for many children every time she goes to work . . . would you be comfortable with someone like her taking care of your child when her own threaten suicide and she does very little about it?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I think that when it comes to hoarders with kids or pets in the house, action should be taken by protective services and/or animal protection. They need to focus more on the children's or animal's welfare than placating the hoarder. Yes, I realize it's a mental illness, but those who have rage outbursts or alcoholim also suffer with diseases, yet kids are taken from those homes all the time.

I'm still not convinced professionals treating this condition really know that much about it or if they are really helping. What are the statistics on the matter? How do they know the right way to treat it. I just don't think they have enough evidence on their side to say what really works, especially on very tough cases. Whose to say that a different approach might not work better. I would be curious to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4061204;
    While the poop-in-a-bag lady was gross, at least she lived by herself.
    Didn't her dad live in the house? They showed his "room" in the upstairs that they basically condemned. Was that really a rat's nest, or was the (always extremely sympathetic) clean up guy being metaphorical?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;4061320;
    Didn't her dad live in the house? They showed his "room" in the upstairs that they basically condemned. Was that really a rat's nest, or was the (always extremely sympathetic) clean up guy being metaphorical?
    I believe she lived with her father in that house. They both said that this started after her mother passed away.

The state of that house was beyond repair. It would have been in need of repair if the house was relatively clean, seeing as the place didn't look like it had been updated in over 30 years, and the updates that were mentioned at the beginning of the episode seemed to be cosmetic (new wallpaper, etc).

Also, I don't know why but with that generation there seemed to be an unnatural attachment to anything and everything Avon. I am leaning to believe that Robin was a sales lady for Avon.

+ Reply to Thread