+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3670417;
    I think that (yours) was a different woman (about 10? years ago?) that lived in Huntington Harbor. I remember her also. Yes, she was a professor at CSULB. The whole thing went on for years with upset neighbors and problems in court. The Seal Beach lady was back in the early eighties. My boyfriend and I snuck in, once the house had been cleared out, to look around. We were afraid to touch anything! It was still NASTY! I think that the house was eventually torn down.
    I was thinking that at the time - there would be no way those places could be inhabitable. They would have to be demolished, and I wouldn't have gone in there without complete HASMAT (sp?) covering. *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3671566;
    I was thinking that at the time - there would be no way those places could be inhabitable. They would have to be demolished, and I wouldn't have gone in there without complete HASMAT (sp?) covering. *shudder*
    I KNOW! I don't know what we were thinking! I guess that I can blame it on being young and stupid!

I felt sorry for the cats.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3668863;
    [snipped].... Most of the show is buildup then we get a VERY BRIEF (written) follow up as the credits roll. I feel cheated! They do this on "Obsessed", "Intervention" and now this show.
    I agree. I just watched the first episode. Interesting, but very unsatisfying. And there wasn't anything to learn from it other than some people have the psychological problem of hoarding.

I think the show would be better if it covered only one case per episode. The first segment was fine: showing the current situation and getting insights from the hoarders and family members.

Interspersed with the cleaning, I would have liked to have seen the hoarders given some guidance/therapy along the way. For example, perhaps the food woman could have been made to understand that her behavior leads to wastefulness (since she hates wastefulness so much). Since she's hoarding because she's worried about food being scarce in the future, maybe a therapist would develop a plan for her where, when she's tempted to buy food she doesn't need, she takes the money she would have spent out of her wallet and puts it into her emergency fund.

Unless they give some tips that hoarders, or people with hoarding tendencies, could possibly use, it's not much worth watching.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

One of the things I find interesting about this show is that Intervention did used to show two cases when it began. They have now moved to showing one case at a time. Maybe Hoarders is looking for a certain audience then will narrow down the focus when they find one. Just a guess. Some of it is just too painful to watch, however.

People on shows like these definitely need therapy because we're talking about a psychological condition here, and they need professionals who can help them. It's not just about getting their stuff organized and doing mass purges, it's about helping them realize that they don't need to stockpile the food or everything.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I was surprised that some agency did not step in and declare that woman was a danger to herself since she had all that spoiled food around and would eat it. That was a disturbing episode.

I just want to go scrub any part of my house after watching this show. I watched this show for the first time today.

Food is just something I do not mess around with. What that woman was doing was just sooo mentally confounding...

finally caught the episode this weekend. i just couldn't take the food haorder woman. my tummy hurts just thinking abt it.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3676061;
    I just want to go scrub any part of my house after watching this show. I watched this show for the first time today.

Food is just something I do not mess around with. What that woman was doing was just sooo mentally confounding...

Anyone see last night's show? I felt the woman really did have a hoarding problem, but I didn't think the guy did. The woman had trouble getting rid of some things and got very irritable and stressed when they were cleaning her place. I felt like the guy was lazy and just didn't care. He had no trouble getting rid of anything and was happy when they cleaned his place. That didn't seem like a person who had a compulsion to hoard. The lady who was helping him clean said there was human excrement on his bathroom floor. It was like he was too lazy to flush his used toilet paper or something. His bed was surrounded by pizza boxes, empty soda cups, empty food wrappers. That doesn't say hoarder to me, that says lazy.

+ Reply to Thread