+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3794342;
    I'm still trying to figure out just what that girl saw in the guy featured on last night's show.
    Yes! Me, either. What were his winning qualities? They weren't apparent in that episode. He seemed very childish. She may be making a mistake in thinking she can 'nurture' (i.e. 'mother') him. That will get old fast - especially if they have children one day or she becomes ill and/or needs to rely on him some other way. He'd be unable to handle that on more than one level.

I kept wanting to shout at the tv, "RUN!"

I still cannot understand how the spouses don't just say, "Enough..."
    The families really do seem to suffer. One spouse on the show had tried to commit suicide - the kids were isolated and neurotic - adult children were despondent of ever having a relationship with their parent. I hope anyone with this illness can get some good therapy.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

That young guy was posting on the Hoarders site. He works in an IT department and his coworkers were totally surprised that he is a hoarder.

I don't think we can tell much about him from what we see on the show, where we're seeing only one aspect of him.

He is keeping his house clean - and has decluttered more - but says it's still a struggle. Someone asked him what his car and workplace desk are like. He said his desk was fine, but he needed to clean out his car.

I'm glad they got to this guy before it developed any further, and that he was receptive to making changes. In an earlier episode, there was a 20-something young woman whose boyfriend was fed up with her hoarding, and she resisted the process.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Wow!

The ex-boyfriend of Christina (January 18th) thinks her body was taken over by a young boy.

Hope she realizes how fortunate she is to be rid of him.

Sad to find out that she and her daughter never attended counseling.

Had to feel for Janet. The pain of losing her husband was still very evident.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3801323;
    Wow!

The ex-boyfriend of Christina (January 18th) thinks her body was taken over by a young boy.

Hope she realizes how fortunate she is to be rid of him.

Sad to find out that she and her daughter never attended counseling.

Had to feel for Janet. The pain of losing her husband was still very evident.
    Agree about Christina's ex-boyfriend - although in other ways, he was a voice of reason about Christina's stuff getting in the way of her life. This guy must be the closest person to Christina, even though he's an ex-boyfriend. When the show asked Christina for a list of her friends to talk to, this guy must have been it. Again, in this episode, we have another child who wants the staff to stay. I feel so sorry for the daughter. And Christina was so controlling. Hannah did a great job cleaning her room and then Christina won't let her donate the books she no longer wants. And, to not take advantage of therapy...

Janet got some real insights into herself - especially throwing away the board with her husband's medication schedule. I hope she keeps her hoarding under control and reconnects with her daughters.

Yeah, that was a little creepy, when he said he thought she was possessed and that's the reason she wasn't cleaning her house. Seemed obvious she was not physically capable of keeping on top of things, as well as being a bit depressed at losing her license and career. And didn't there seem to be more to that story by the way? Why was her medical license stripped from her? That's the phrase the show used, too, if I recall. Stripped from her. If she was a counselor, did she have an affair with a patient?

I found myself feeling annoyed at the people in charge of Christina's house cleaning. Why didn't they do the physical part of the work, and simply hold things up for her to keep or throw away? The way they talked to her at times about her 'mental state' also seemed a bit patronising. It's annoying to see someone with a very real physical disability treated as if they are not only mentally handicapped but a child. Some have compared chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia to being like the last two months of a terminal illness - only it goes on and on. Would the same people expect to go to someone's intensive care unit and chide them to pick up the room or mop the floor? That is essentially what they were doing.

And of course she couldn't just toss huge bags or boxes without even looking in them! I really did not like that organiser. All of the other ones have been pretty good at their jobs, and with good attitudes, though. I think Geralin is great, the way she manages to be cheerful without seeming patronising at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3802773;
    And didn't there seem to be more to that story by the way? Why was her medical license stripped from her? That's the phrase the show used, too, if I recall.
    I was curious about that too. I think there's a lot more to that story, and the supposed betrayal she mentioned. It's possible that she was an innocent victim of circumstance, but it would seem that it takes a lot of evidence to strip someone of her license.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3802773;
    I found myself feeling annoyed at the people in charge of Christina's house cleaning. Why didn't they do the physical part of the work, and simply hold things up for her to keep or throw away?

And of course she couldn't just toss huge bags or boxes without even looking in them! I really did not like that organiser.
    I think a lot of that was due to the time limit. Though how they expect a hoarder to go through years of buildup in two days is beyond me. If a crew like that showed up at my house I'd be overwhelmed so I can only imagine what they're thinking.

What they should do is have the organizer show up at least a week in advance and get the sorting & therapy started. By the time the junk guys arrive there would be something for them to do without the hoarder feeling pressured to put everyone to work (and no worries about something accidentally getting thrown out).

The exception would be homes like that one a few weeks ago with the rotting diapers. In that case just bulldoze the house and start over.
    Debb70 likes this.

Also, they mentioned earlier in the series that giving the hoarder control over what gets thrown out is part of the therapy -- that the goal is not to just get rid of stuff, but to change the behavior. Otherwise, the hoarder is even more likely to fill the house back up. But you're right, the psychological problem is as big as the mess and neither can be fixed in a few days.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Wow, this week's episode was tough to watch. The younger boy with asthma and other health issues due to toxic mold and dust was just heartbreaking... what a shame. I hope his mom keeps it up after the cameras are gone so he has a healthy environment.

ITA, Cornholio. I felt she should've been charged with child endangerment. People die from asthma all the time, especially young people.

+ Reply to Thread