+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

FORT Fanatic

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Deborah - the woman with the husband who tried to kill himself and with two kids (Sam was one of them) was on-line yesterday at the A&E site. They are making progress in continuing to clean up the house. She said that the parents realize they must take the major burden and not put it on their children.

They are still going through stuff and making progress, she said. I hope so.

It's unfortunate they put these people on such a ridiculous time limit of a weekend or so to clean up years of stuff. But it's a reality show, and that seems to be an element so much of the time.

There was one woman who had lost her kids to CPS and at the end of the weekend, they had put 900 boxes in storage yet to be gone through. That seems ridiculous. With her past problems, how likely is it she will go through 900 boxes and manage to throw or give away most of the stuff? At the end of that program, they said she still didn't have her children returned to her yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3786602;
    It's unfortunate they put these people on such a ridiculous time limit of a weekend or so to clean up years of stuff. But it's a reality show, and that seems to be an element so much of the time.
    Yes. They really need to give each household a week. The show can't cost that much to produce. When they told Deborah she had an hour to sort several boxes, I wanted to shout at the tv, "Come on." She was doing really well (emotionally) overall, though, I thought.

I feel so bad for any kids in these households, though. Sam being so isolated he clings onto cleaning crews is sad. The parents seemed more childlike than the kids did, which reminds me of alcoholic homes (which was also true in that case, granted.)

Her husband's attempting suicide over the chaos wasn't enough to get through to Deborah? What's really going on there?

A superficial aside - she looked a lot like Delta Burke didn't she? Her actor's photo (headshot) especially.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Sometimes, if you give these people too much time, they will TAKE the time only to keep as much as possible rather than make a snap decision to get rid of things.

The methodology has a reason very often.

WHen going through a few dozen of bins/boxes of things in my basement this past summer, I found that the longer I deliberated on something, the more likely I was to keep it. If I gave myself a pretty instantaneous answer, I got rid of more.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3779816;
    MamaC - I was a bit shocked when the one woman cried and sobbed as her pets were taken away but barely flinched when the same thing happened to her children. Whether she knows where they are or not (her reasoning), something like that has to affect their development.
    That woman wasnt a hoarder. She was a slob with a husband who just enabled her lazy behaviors. She didnt show one ounce of pain as they cleaned her house for her. She had no attachment to anything other then the pets and despite what she said, those thing were not well cared for.
    The husband was just trash as well. Working 75 hours a week so he didnt have to deal with the situation all the while giving her more money to throw out the windows.
    Stories like that really make it hard to feel bad for the ones on this show that have real OCD or mental issues. Those two dont deserve children no matter how much they claim to care for them.

I have been paying for a storage unit of my mother's things for almost 10 years. She put her life belongings into it over 15 years ago. I've gone through a few boxes but rather than confront it all and just empty the dang thing, I keep putting it off saying I'll do it next month. It gets to be overwhelming and that I do understand. I cannot say I'm a hoarder, but I definitely walk past the piles of papers, etc. in my own home and keep telling myself I'll just get to it tomorrow. My mother kept everything that anyone ever gave her and I find myself doing the same thing. Clothing that doesn't fit anymore, papers that need to be shredded, old batteries, etc. I don't do it because I want to keep it for any reason, I just find myself not throwing it out. I sometimes feel that if I haven't seen any of the things in over 20 years, I should just get in there and throw it all in the garbage. Then, my sappy side kicks in and says what if there is something from your mom that is in there that means something to you......... you get the idea. The things I've kept in my own home, I know I should just throw out. I'm moving next month and have barely made a dent in anything. It really has a lot to do with how your mind works.....the logical side of me says if you haven't seen it in years it cannot be that important to you, the not so logical side of me says you must have kept it for a reason.

I agree that woman in the last episode didn't appear to be a true hoarder. She didn't feel bad about losing the things she had, just her pets.
    Yup, with donuts!!

That woman wasnt a hoarder. She was a slob with a husband who just enabled her lazy behaviors. She didnt show one ounce of pain as they cleaned her house for her. She had no attachment to anything other then the pets and despite what she said, those thing were not well cared for.
    Well I would respectfully say she was a lazy slob, which led to her being a hoarder who could not/would not clean her house. I am not defending Shannon at all (the hoarder we are speaking of) as she annoyed me more than anyone featured on this show, ever. She allowed her son to LIVE IN A SHED for two years and yet acted surprised and annoyed that CPS showed up to take her kids away? She had maggots under the carpets and fecal matter of both dogs and cats ON THE FLOOR yet was shocked that Animal Control showed up? And when she said to camera, with a tone in her voice, "Animal Control are not my favorite people" I wanted to yell at the tv, "Well bitch I am sure you are not THEIR favorite citizen, either!"

The husband was just trash as well.
    You mean Meth Mouth?
    Help control the animal population - spay and neuter your pets!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3783245;
    Does anyone else think hoarding has something to do with insecurity? As if they are literally creating walls around themselves.

Yes, I think so & agree with Fierce Critter too.

My aunt is a hoarder & her house could easily be featured on this show. I travel abroad with her on a tour group every so often on a trip of say 4 weeks. She travels very heavily - always brings the maximum weight and bags allowed stuffed with everything anyone on the tour "might need." Each time we check into a hotel room, she immediately opens her bags and spreads all her junk around all over the room and on the beds so it looks like a total disaster zone. (Also, there is always a crisis because then she shops the whole trip and then her luggage is overweight and she asks everyone else in the group to carry things for her....)

The need to have all this stuff around even while traveling is what makes me think a big part of the hoarding syndrome is a level of comfort and security provided by being surrounded by stuff.

FORT Fanatic

Ive always thought of a Hoarder as someone who collects an absurd amount of things and it fills their house. Like someone who collects junk that they seem as valuable. The beer can guy would be an example of that. I understand that could translate to hundreds of different things like old news papers, clothing, etc. Other then the beer can guy, I have yet to see someone on this show "hoarding" anything. These are people who live in disgusting pig sty's that dont know how to clean up after themselves. Shannon was truly the most annoying because she was a fat pig who just wanted to sit around all day and spend money she didnt have. She wasnt hoarding a damn thing yet got a free clean up of her house and probably hand outs for a charity or the government.

Its aggrivating to watch these sometimes and see the psychiatrist coddle to them and some how rationalize why they have old McDonald wrappers and dog sh*t thrown around their house. I find it hard to believe that someone has piles upon piles of garbage that needs to be removed with a snow shovel just because they may have been molested as a child.

I agree giggity22. The trash and old food, etc. doesn't seem like hoarding to me. I've always kept trash in the trash can and dishes clean, bathroom clean, etc. I just have a huge issue with hanging on to things and not getting rid of them when they don't serve a purpose anymore.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

It's not always about a traumatic life event that brings this on. And what a person "hoards" doesn't have to make sense to anyone but them.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone of the true clinical nature of the hoarding disorder. I know what I've seen of my mother and sister, tendencies in myself, and that's all the evidence I need.

I'm also bolstered by the things I see on this show, and documentaries I've seen on the subject as well. Of particular impact is seeing what happens to clinical hoarders who don't have therapeutic back-up when they lose their "stuff."

A prime example is the woman in the Cynthia Lester documentary "My Mother's Garden." You can see the entire documentary on msnbc her: My Mother's Garden | msnbc.com

Hoarding doesn't make sense, which is why it's hard for people who aren't suffering from it to understand. Matter of fact, I'd bet most hoarders themselves have a hard time understanding it themselves.

Some of them also are probably suffering from depression on top of hoarding.

I went through a bout of hormonal depression that was pretty serious. It manifested itself in a lack of motivation/energy that was difficult for even me to understand. I had an accumulation of garbage in my house. I could see the trash, I knew where the trash can was. I knew how to bend over, pick up a food wrapper, walk 2 steps to the trash can, and throw it in. What I couldn't not connect was the KNOWING that that's what I should be doing and the actual ACT of doing it. It was like I'd see it, and then I wouldn't see it.

It's absurd to even try to explain it, because even describing it, I'm still not understanding it myself. I got better initially with medication and therapy, and then surgery that proved it was a hormone-based depression and not brain chemistry. Right away I was able to make the connection from observation to acting, where days prior I couldn't.

I know exactly what these people are going through because I've experienced it first-hand through myself and my family members. I didn't see the episode with the woman everyone is disgusted by right now. I'll have to see if I can find it online somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread