+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 623
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

  1. #11
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,674

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3667059;
    i don't know why i want to watch it tho - hoarders freak me out. i remember this one lady that was on oprah - i could barely watch . . .
    Was that the lady with the moldy strawberries and the birds that flew about the house so there were droppings everywhere?? I saw this one and was horrified.

    The food hoarder on this show was just too much. She was in such a state of denial. When the guy came in and pointed out the flies and mentioned that they are usually drawn to something rotting she said that there was nothing rotting in this room! Then he pointed out the rotting pumpkin on the floor and she was like Oh yes, the rotting pumpkin! But no glimmer of recognition that having a rotting pumpkin on your floor drawing flies was an atypical kind of thing. I really hope these people continue to get help so they don't fall back into these patterns.

  2. #12
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,499

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    I DVR'd it last night and watched it today.

    The woman with the food was something else. I was amazed at how hard it was for her to just throw the food out......anyone in their right mind would have looked at the expiration date and tossed it. That she had to stand there, look at it, rationalize why she should keep it rather than toss it. It really showed what kind of illness she has.

    I was also surprised that in the three days (or however long the experts were there helping) all they did was go through the food items. There was still plenty to clean up in the rest of the house.

    The other couple each had their own issues. We could see the look on the father and his body language to see how difficult this was for him. The wife has issues too but she was able to jump on board and get rid of a lot of that stuff.

    Will be interesting to see if these people do continue with the counseling and are able to keep the houses orderly. (I've seen some of the people on Clean House who were hoarders and, a year later, they were back to their old ways.)

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3668604;
    I DVR'd it last night and watched it today.

    The woman with the food was something else. I was amazed at how hard it was for her to just throw the food out......anyone in their right mind would have looked at the expiration date and tossed it. That she had to stand there, look at it, rationalize why she should keep it rather than toss it. It really showed what kind of illness she has.

    I was also surprised that in the three days (or however long the experts were there helping) all they did was go through the food items. There was still plenty to clean up in the rest of the house.

    The other couple each had their own issues. We could see the look on the father and his body language to see how difficult this was for him. The wife has issues too but she was able to jump on board and get rid of a lot of that stuff.

    Will be interesting to see if these people do continue with the counseling and are able to keep the houses orderly. (I've seen some of the people on Clean House who were hoarders and, a year later, they were back to their old ways.)
    When the food hoarder,Jill kept saying it was okay because the food wasn't puffy. I really knew this woman needed help. That nasty meat juice that was in the refrigerator was nasty. Thank goodness its not smellavison.lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    I understand that these people need to learn how to deal with it themselves. I also know that throwing things out is part of the therapy. I don't understand why the food hoarder even had a say in the food situation. She only slowed down the process. That food was dangerous and needed to be removed PERIOD! Get that mess out of there and then do the therapy. It's not just a mental situation it's a health issue. The pets should have been boarded somewhere and the woman should have gone to stay with her sister. Sometimes tough love needs to be used. She was being faced with eviction so eventually she would of had to agree. I felt so sorry for the cleaners! I would bet that there was a lot more gagging than we saw. Years ago, in Seal Beach, an old woman died that wasn't just a hoarder but she also NEVER left her house. Her plumbing had gone out and she was using jars as toilets! It took days to clear out the house and the workers wore hazmat suits! I don't think that the cleaning crew, on this show, was well enough equipped for the job that they had to do. Like ALL of these A&E shows the ending is totally unfulfilling (for the viewers). Most of the show is buildup then we get a VERY BRIEF (written) follow up as the credits roll. I feel cheated! They do this on "Obsessed", "Intervention" and now this show.

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    What these people have are mental health issues. Unless they get real professional help they will not change.
    There's no place like home!

  6. #16
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C. area
    Posts
    674

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    The older lady looked familiar. Maybe I saw her on a similar show. Very, very sad.

    I saw one show where the woman was supposed to be going with her son to throw stuff out and she wanted him to stop along the way so she could go through people's trash - and take home more stuff, of course.

  7. #17
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3668863;
    I understand that these people need to learn how to deal with it themselves. I also know that throwing things out is part of the therapy. I don't understand why the food hoarder even had a say in the food situation. She only slowed down the process. That food was dangerous and needed to be removed PERIOD! Get that mess out of there and then do the therapy. It's not just a mental situation it's a health issue. The pets should have been boarded somewhere and the woman should have gone to stay with her sister. Sometimes tough love needs to be used. She was being faced with eviction so eventually she would of had to agree. I felt so sorry for the cleaners! I would bet that there was a lot more gagging than we saw. Years ago, in Seal Beach, an old woman died that wasn't just a hoarder but she also NEVER left her house. Her plumbing had gone out and she was using jars as toilets! It took days to clear out the house and the workers wore hazmat suits! I don't think that the cleaning crew, on this show, was well enough equipped for the job that they had to do. Like ALL of these A&E shows the ending is totally unfulfilling (for the viewers). Most of the show is buildup then we get a VERY BRIEF (written) follow up as the credits roll. I feel cheated! They do this on "Obsessed", "Intervention" and now this show.

    Yes, like you and I were discussing in the Intervention thread - it's too bad we don't learn more about the process and helping these obviously sick people, rather than just the dirty lifestyle. They did explain a bit about the lady who hoarded the food - and how she had some lean times and never wanted to go without food again. Obviously this was way out of hand - but more information about how to help these people, or how to recognize the early signs and symptoms of the disease might give the audience some ideas of at least where to go to get help. Such a very sad way to live.

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey buttahfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    omg - my cousin was working for the oc marshall's then and had to go to that woman's house. she said it was AWFUL. like beyond dscription. i think the woman was a professor at long beach state or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3668863;
    I understand that these people need to learn how to deal with it themselves. I also know that throwing things out is part of the therapy. I don't understand why the food hoarder even had a say in the food situation. She only slowed down the process. That food was dangerous and needed to be removed PERIOD! Get that mess out of there and then do the therapy. It's not just a mental situation it's a health issue. The pets should have been boarded somewhere and the woman should have gone to stay with her sister. Sometimes tough love needs to be used. She was being faced with eviction so eventually she would of had to agree. I felt so sorry for the cleaners! I would bet that there was a lot more gagging than we saw. Years ago, in Seal Beach, an old woman died that wasn't just a hoarder but she also NEVER left her house. Her plumbing had gone out and she was using jars as toilets! It took days to clear out the house and the workers wore hazmat suits! I don't think that the cleaning crew, on this show, was well enough equipped for the job that they had to do. Like ALL of these A&E shows the ending is totally unfulfilling (for the viewers). Most of the show is buildup then we get a VERY BRIEF (written) follow up as the credits roll. I feel cheated! They do this on "Obsessed", "Intervention" and now this show.

  9. #19
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    I think that (yours) was a different woman (about 10? years ago?) that lived in Huntington Harbor. I remember her also. Yes, she was a professor at CSULB. The whole thing went on for years with upset neighbors and problems in court. The Seal Beach lady was back in the early eighties. My boyfriend and I snuck in, once the house had been cleared out, to look around. We were afraid to touch anything! It was still NASTY! I think that the house was eventually torn down.

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey buttahfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,645

    Re: Hoarders (A&E)

    you're right - my cousin lives in seal beach, that's not where the foul house was she went to.

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3670417;
    I think that (yours) was a different woman (about 10? years ago?) that lived in Huntington Harbor. I remember her also. Yes, she was a professor at CSULB. The whole thing went on for years with upset neighbors and problems in court. The Seal Beach lady was back in the early eighties. My boyfriend and I snuck in, once the house had been cleared out, to look around. We were afraid to touch anything! It was still NASTY! I think that the house was eventually torn down.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.