+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Thanks for talking about the diaper episode - I have been duly warned. I'll skip any ep that sounds remotely like that one...Lol.

I found out in our new lineup we do get A & E. Yay! And thanks for the tip about the website, in case anyone else I know wants to watch but doesn't get cable, etc.

I saw the episode with the blond single mom and the artist guy who dumpster dove. I felt bad for them both, but I felt worse for her kids, and for the guy's neighbors! Bedbugs and roaches...eww.

Why wouldn't he fix things up and resell them? He could be an independent artist, and still support his hobby (and himself) It seemed the 'high' of a 'find' was his real motivator, so why not sell the stuff.

And a dust mop never hurt anybody.

FORT Fanatic

I cleaned out the family home where we had lived for 45 years. The things I collected for the most part that I thought had some re-sale value? There were so many on the market I ended up donating stuff to Good Will for the most part. So much for my 'investments.'

I did sell enough on e-bay to pay my moving bill. At least I got a little something.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

My heart was breaking for the little ones who had to choose between sleeping outdoors in a tent in very cold weather or sleeping on a bed-bug infested mattress.

How someone can see that happening to a child and not be moved to change is beyond my way of thinking.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3776126;
    mine cut off too, i was wondering if dr dickey had sold any of those b eer cans.

the bed bugs were just gross. those ppl seemed awfully old to have such young kids.
    I thought the same thing! It said they were married for 30 years, which I guess makes her about 50 but he looked older about 70? They had older kids, they were interviewing their daughter-in-law, but they had little kids too.

re: Dr Dickey and the beer cans even though he doesn't like beer... I could kind of understand since he was a vet having the vet figurines, maybe they were gifts. But the beer cans and other collections were so odd - beanie babies? Eggs? Bonsai books? Hundreds of pairs of old glasses?

The older couple with the young children's father was 60ish. I remember them mentioning his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3776972;
    My heart was breaking for the little ones who had to choose between sleeping outdoors in a tent in very cold weather or sleeping on a bed-bug infested mattress.

How someone can see that happening to a child and not be moved to change is beyond my way of thinking.
    Felt really sorry for Betsy. The husband didn't seem emotionally invested in the whole thing although he did finally seem to fathom he had to do something about it, in an intellectual way at least. I could just feel Betsy's frustration.

That story creeped me out though because what a nightmare. As someone allergic/extremely intolerant of most pesticides that would be awful. I couldn't look away once I began watching, though. I hope future episodes have less creepy crawlies.

Those bugs suppposedly stay for years so I wonder how well they clean out those charity trucks after hauling all that away? Same with furniture trucks. I hear a lot of people get transfer bugs that way. Ewwww.

About the other story - Dick was so grouchy. I think he basically just wanted his house sorted and cleaned, and never intended to part with a thing. But he could've still been nicer to his family and friends. That is a huge effort they made, just to try to help him. Even if he wasn't completely sold on it, his manners were atrocious.

Kao

Telling a hoarder that all they have to do is clean up and be neater is like telling an anorexic that all they have to do to get better is to eat. While I'm sure there's people out there who just are glorious slobs, for others the mess is a symptom of something deeper that needs to be addressed.

On Monday night's show, they profiled two women....both have issues much deeper than just hoarding. The one woman in AZ really needs to seek counseling on the sexual abuse she suffered as a child. The other woman, in WA or OR, had given away 20+ pets and still had just as many remaining in the house....complete with feces all over the place. Animal Services came to take away those remaining pets...and the woman grieved. Child Services showed up at the door to take her children away...and she was shocked they would do that!

Both woman, once again, had to seek outside help to deal with their hoarding or else their children would be taken away from them. Even having family members intervene in the past made no lasting impression on them.

One thing I have noticed on these shows is that even the bathrooms are loaded up with all sorts of stuff....to the point that the toilets, sinks, and tubs or showers are no longer usable. Where do these people bathe? Often they have no running water, and/or electricity, so how do they cook and keep foods refrigerated? Do they just eat take out food?

I can't even imagine what living under those conditions must be like.

MamaC - I was a bit shocked when the one woman cried and sobbed as her pets were taken away but barely flinched when the same thing happened to her children. Whether she knows where they are or not (her reasoning), something like that has to affect their development.

The Arizona woman seemed to be crying out for help for her childhood memories. She kept bringing it up, over and over. Even when she didn't intend to, it was near the surface. When she was so angry with her oldest daughter about the misplaced underwear, she said it was because "no one believed me." Sounds like she is actually talking about the abuse yet again.

The recent Louisiana woman - Augustine - seemed infantile to me. She too seemed to be crying out for help. Most of the hoarders seem very insular, even self absorbed or infantile. They do not seem to acknowledge the affect their behavior has on others around them, even their own families. I realize it's a mental illness and possibly an addiction, but it seems like stunted personality growth is a huge part of it, as well.

I feel so bad for each and every one of their children.

I have to say.....hadn't watched this before, but just caught these last two shows thanks to a bout of insomnia. I am a self-professed packrat....but I do periodically go through my stuff, and do a set of "donate" "keep" "trash" bins, and follow through with getting rid of things....but these folks....scary stuff! Makes me wonder when where and how people cross the line from simple pack-rat clutter, to those horrendous hoarding lifestyles. Thank goodness my hubby is a minimalist feng-shui kind of guy....he'd never let me get that bad.....nor would I want to! These people really do need serious help!
    Last edited by Jazzie1953; 12-31-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

+ Reply to Thread