+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Those clean up guys don't get paid enough. Whatever their salary is, it isn't enough to deal with 2 years worth of adult diapers.

I think she kept them because she was afraid/embarrassed that someone would find out if she put them in her trash.

It's one thing to have a field mouse get inside through a tiny gap or even to have bats/squirrels in the attic, but to have goats and opossums getting in because there is a gaping hole on the side of your house is just unreal.

At the beginning of the show, there's text on the screen that says how many people are hoarders. Can't remember if it says 3 million or 30 million, but even if it's the lesser, that is still a lot of junk being kept in secret.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I understand they were cleaning her house so she could sell it but it seems like if urine and feces have eaten through the tile floor in your bathroom you should just raze the house and sell the land. I can't imagine anyone buying the house in that condition in order to live in it.

This show should be renamed at this point. The trash houses don't seem like hoarding to me. The people who are completely emotionally attached to their possessions are hoarders. This last show was more about people who let their houses go and just couldn't face it so they dealt with the problem by ignoring it. It seems like a different disorder, not hoarding. I think of hoarding as the ones we've seen who are forever out there buying more stuff, picking up everything they see offered free on a sidewalk, hitting every garage sale...collecting more things.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I am going to have to stop watching this show....it is just so sad. Pathetic and disturbing. I just cannot imagine how these poor souls live like this in all this filth.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3764055;
    After watching these shows, I wonder just how many hoarders are out there. Would it be something like 10% of the population? More? Less? I am curious; I have no idea.
    I have no clue. We just started watching this season and I agree that this season is definitely 'trash houses', especially obvious when we started watching last season's.

We have started to wonder which of our neighbors that we don't know would be most likely to have the "got junk" trucks pull up in front of it. We decided on the woman who admitted that when her kids left for college/life she needed something to do so she covered just about every inch of her front yard in plantings, trees, rocks, mulch, gazing balls, etc. It is very pretty, or at least it would be on a full acre, not so much her postage stamp yard. That has been done for three years now, we know the back is done and we are guessing she moved it inside because we ALWAYS see her bringing bags and boxes into the house.

Oh, but the best part...hubby now picks up his clothes from his side of the bedroom floor!! THANK YOU HOARDERS!!! You did in one episode what I couldn't in fourteen years....
    Wag more, bark less

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

hepcat - I agree. There is a difference there. The hoarders have a connection with their "junk" that makes it extremely distressing to them to get rid of any of it. The trash-house people don't get upset by their trash being thrown away. There seems to be two different groups being featured on this show.

jamie 5632 - that's funny! Even my children will get up and clean when they see this show! I guess I can put up with the gross factor of watching the show in order to get my family to do some cleaning for me!

Yeah, that woman who tied herself to the toilet at night didn't seem so much a hoarder as mentally ill, as her daughter noted.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Anybody still watching?

This week was pretty interesting.... the family who moved into a tent in the backyard due to a bedbug infestation! Wow! And they had already had snow! And the retired vet Dr Dickey was very interesting as well with his 50,000 beer cans. My DVR cut off the last minute - did Dr Dickey get rid of anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3775892;
    Anybody still watching?

This week was pretty interesting.... the family who moved into a tent in the backyard due to a bedbug infestation! Wow! And they had already had snow! And the retired vet Dr Dickey was very interesting as well with his 50,000 beer cans. My DVR cut off the last minute - did Dr Dickey get rid of anything at all?
    They got rid of lots of trash and after all that arguing with his nephew(?), his nephew was helping him to put some of his collection up for sale. And he agreed to get therapy because he is curious as to why he is so compelled to collect.

I find it interesting that he collects beer cans but doesn't even drink beer. I think his collection looked good lining the walls, but the dusting part could be such a pain that already, he will be faced with tricky maintenance of his collection.

The bed bugs were a blessing for that family - I don't think that the father would have done anything had they not had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930;3764994;
    I just don't understand why the adult diaper woman would KEEP them! Apparently there was 4,000 lbs of human waste in the house. Those poor poor cleanup guys.
    I kid you not but my best friend takes care of elderly people in their homes. She told me she had this client who wore adult diapers. The wet ones she would take off & hang over the dining room chairs to "dry". When my friends told her that they had to be thrown out because they never dry.
    This woman then put the wet diapers in her dryer & caused a fire. After that she was put in a nursing home.
    My friend used to say the smell of urine would make her eyes burn it was that bad. She at least threw the #2's away. I could not even imagine having 2 years worth of dirty diapers in your home.

mine cut off too, i was wondering if dr dickey had sold any of those b eer cans.

the bed bugs were just gross. those ppl seemed awfully old to have such young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3775892;
    Anybody still watching?

+ Reply to Thread