+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Wow. Tonights episode was DISGUSTING. One of the hoarders toilets hadn't been able to use for TWO years and she had been using adult diapers...which were in piles ALL over the house. Something like over 300 tons of it. This one was extremely hard to watch.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3764019;
    Wow. Tonights episode was DISGUSTING. One of the hoarders toilets hadn't been able to use for TWO years and she had been using adult diapers...which were in piles ALL over the house. Something like over 300 tons of it. This one was extremely hard to watch.
    <- How I feel right now after reading about this episode. I have a neighbor who hoards and my dad tries but we keep him from "saving" everything. I am not sure I can watch this, but know I probably will. I watch hoping that they get help for these people. The psychology behind the therapy sometimes drives me mad with impatience.... That house last week should have been torn down and this one sounds no different after the exposure it had to human waste. Yikes.

After watching these shows, I wonder just how many hoarders are out there. Would it be something like 10% of the population? More? Less? I am curious; I have no idea.

On tonight's show, if anyone watches it again, look to see the first lady's house...the one with all the adult diapers....and see if you see a home security plaque in the front yard. The irony of it all if that really is a home security plaque!

The second woman, the one in OK.....I was surprised she tossed out that trophy.

It seems to me that these people have such a hold on old things....things from their childhood, parents, etc. If these things were so valuable, why didn't they take care of them? Store them in Rubbermaid bins, etc., for safekeeping. Same with old family photos. After being in piles of trash, and excrement, etc., for years, these items are no longer salvageable.

I think the first woman on tonight's show has some really deep mental issues. She kept her soiled adult diapers and had a ton of water bottles and other plastics, and was so far gone that she was hoarding garbage really.

Neither woman had running water in their houses. And hadn't for TWO years. The OK lady had goats who ate through the siding of her home!

How said that after everything that first woman will end up having to live on just $68 a month for the rest of her life!

I find the show oddly fascinating but definitely disgusting at the same time. And these guys that come in to clean these messes...more power to them. I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I missed tonight's episode, and after reading here, I think I won't be able to watch. Adult diapers all over the house? Yuck! That may be too much for me to stomach. I have a strong gag reflex! Even the little "barf" smiley here makes me feel sick. I can't look at it!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3764019;
    I was scared they might find a flattened goat under all that debris

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit after that one!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The show was not as bad as I thought only because I walked in and out of the room while it was on so I didn't actually see the complete grossness of it all. The older lady just let her stuff go out of the house but the house was so wrecked that it was worthless in the end.

The most powerful part of the show was the daughter who thought her mom was pathetic apologizing to her stuffed bear when what she really needed to do was apologize to her own children for messing up their lives! It was good that she did eventually come to her senses and apologize. And the daughters seemed so hungry for it. I hope they continue to work it out.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3764055;
    It seems to me that these people have such a hold on old things....things from their childhood, parents, etc. If these things were so valuable, why didn't they take care of them? Store them in Rubbermaid bins, etc., for safekeeping.
    That's what gets me too. The woman with the goats last night had serious issues departing with her infested teddy bear. In the moment, I had sympathy for her, because my great aunt & uncle gave me a bear like that when I was a kid and it was a favorite of mine as a child. I still have it in my childhood memory box. (I'm not a hoarder in the least. I have a decorative chest in my back room with some stuff I wanted to hold on to from when I was a kid, like the bear...and my vintage Star Wars action figures .) I plan to pass my bear along to my sister's children when she has them and not let it get rotted out by insects and whatever the hell else infested her house.

The other woman just was too pathetic. She clearly had serious mental issues. I might need to stop watching this show--it's fairly cautious in it's handling of the subjects, but it still feels a tad exploitative. Plus, it's damn depressing.

Ooh my God! That woman who used to be an underwriter or something for an IT company just blew my mind away. She was living in adult diapers and keeping them. There is no way anything in there could have been salvagable after having urine and feces everywhere. She was strapping herself to one of the medical toilets to sleep at night. That was mind boggling how she almost lost her legs after falling into her crap and debris and couldn't get out and having the waste in her home set infection in her body. I just couldn't believe it.

My father-in-law was 2 steps away from living like that. He's elderly and lost my mother-in-law about 4 years ago to a brain anerysm. She always took care of everything and so he slowing started to become ill and we didn't know it. My husband showed up over there to his home to check in on him and found out he was urinating in glass jars and crapping himself in the bed because he either was too lazy to go to the bathroom or was just to slow to make it. We had to replace his bed and the carpet in his room because it was just that bad. I told my husband just imagine if we kept taking his word for it whenever we talked to him on the phone, he'd be living like some of this people on the show.

FORT Fan

I just don't understand why the adult diaper woman would KEEP them! Apparently there was 4,000 lbs of human waste in the house. Those poor poor cleanup guys.

+ Reply to Thread