+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

I had trouble with the 7-year-old boy being diagnosed as a hoarder. How many of you have had kids this age - isn't it pretty common for kids to not want to give up toys? It takes strong parenting to get a kid to cooperate with downsizing their toys, like telling them they can trade in 20 stuffed animals for 1 new toy. It's very clear that this kid, being raised by a hoarder as well, didn't have anyone telling him this was a problem until these psychologists get involved.

The mom herself didn't seem like a hoarder so much as extremely lazy. Yes, she shopped for stuff she already had, but when she had a duplicate she would have done something with it except she was too lazy to get to the post office. That is not the same as previous hoarders we have seen who invest a ton of emotional energy into mundane objects.

They needed to declutter and clean. They didn't fall in love with their trash like some of the previous shows, like the young man who couldn't get rid of dog hair because he thought it would kill his dog.

About the junkyard guy, here's an article on the local news about him.

Semmes Man On A&E’s “Hoarders” - Semmes Alabama - WKRG.com

If you watch the embedded video to the side, the reporter asks him if everything he went through helped. His answer, "Nope."
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Yes, I agree on ALEX, the 7yo. When my kiddos were little they would collect everything...I did what the social worker did...I "TIME CAPSULED" their items as toys, coloring books, stuffed animals, etc would pile up in their rooms. I would pick a school day and clean everything up. Never said a word to either of them and YUP, weeks would pass, nothing mentioned, bye bye to that stuff.

ITA, I think Mom was more on the lazy side then on the hoarding side. I will say, Alex seemed like such an adorable and agreeable little fellow. I thought he was so cute. He didn't seem to have any problems with returning to his clean room and items all in order. He was running around playing and sharing with his brother. I read he is still with his social worker which I think is awesome.

PAUL....hmmm....that was just crazy. All that JUNK. I cannot imagine what his home looked like inside....they never even ventured inside his trailer.

I was also completely distracted and oddly fascinated by his missing teeth.

He didn't seem like a typical hoarder, either. Junk collector, definitely. But he thought he was going to make money off of it. They made it seem like he was being unreasonable for not wanting to scrap more valuable metals for half a penny per pound. He should have dealt with it years ago, but I'm sure his physical health was a factor. He needs to hire a crew to help him sort and get it all out of there. But he didn't have emotional ties to the junk the way previous hoarders have.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3713936;
    I had trouble with the 7-year-old boy being diagnosed as a hoarder. How many of you have had kids this age - isn't it pretty common for kids to not want to give up toys? It takes strong parenting to get a kid to cooperate with downsizing their toys, like telling them they can trade in 20 stuffed animals for 1 new toy. It's very clear that this kid, being raised by a hoarder as well, didn't have anyone telling him this was a problem until these psychologists get involved.

The mom herself didn't seem like a hoarder so much as extremely lazy. Yes, she shopped for stuff she already had, but when she had a duplicate she would have done something with it except she was too lazy to get to the post office. That is not the same as previous hoarders we have seen who invest a ton of emotional energy into mundane objects.

They needed to declutter and clean. They didn't fall in love with their trash like some of the previous shows, like the young man who couldn't get rid of dog hair because he thought it would kill his dog.
    I'll need to watch the show. It depends on the reaction to getting rid of things. Seven is old enough to understand the concept of getting rid of little kid toys. I know one kid (he is almost 9) who even wanted to save his paper bracelet from one day at a local play place so he could give it to his child. Asking to donate one stuffed animal to charity causes a couple of hours of tears. He truly wants to save everything. He doesn't mind stuff being put up, but he needs to know it is still there. Even if he hasn't seen it for a year or more, if he finds out it is gone, he gets very upset.

Was the boy officially diagnosed? Hoarding has to start sometime. I would think it would be good to catch it early so it doesn't blossom out of control. And if his mom also has hoarding tendencies, he won't learn control from her until she gets herself under control.

Now having a child of that age on TV, that is another matter all together. I don't agree with that. He is at the age to be teased and I would not think that would be good for his psychological well being.

I didn't watch the entire show so I didn't hear everything that was said about the boy. I know that this sounds mean but the kid just seemed like a creepy little mama's boy! The mom is messed up and so is the kid too. He acted too much like a baby for his age. It all seems more like his way of getting her attention than a hoarding problem. When he said that he didn't play with the one bear because "It was too fragile". That sounded like something that he's heard his mother say. Is there a father in this picture at all? It just seems like he has spent a little too much time with his over protective mother. They seemed to feed off of one another. I think that we saw a little "Norman Bates" in the making!

I wondered about the father too, tvholic. Did you catch where she made mention of, he usually sleeps in the bed with "us" because his bed is too messy. Who was the us?! Maybe her husband is in the picture but just refused to sign on for the show.

I agree with the above comment that the mom didn't seem to be a true hoarder. She seemed more just lazy and messy - her house just didn't have the sheer massive volume of stuff the people with true hoarding syndrome have. It didn't look like she could have even filled one "Got Junk?" truck - it appeared that the house was cleaned up with just a few trash bags. We'll never really know, but perhaps she just wanted the attention and/or the free cleaning job? She talked about how people had called her a messy pig in the past. Maybe she is just a messy pig who wants a syndrome to be labled so it won't be her fault she's a messy pig!

Also don't really see a problem with the kid. I don't think any kid I know would want to get rid of their stuffed animals! The problem seemed more to be that the mom didn't keep the main areas of the house in order, much less his room. She said she tried to help him clean his room "maybe every few months" (!!!) That's just obviously not often enough. I thought he was a very sweet kid, I didn't see Norman Bates, LOL. But I don't have a gauge on whether he was age appropriate or not.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3714262;
    I didn't watch the entire show so I didn't hear everything that was said about the boy. I know that this sounds mean but the kid just seemed like a creepy little mama's boy! The mom is messed up and so is the kid too. He acted too much like a baby for his age. It all seems more like his way of getting her attention than a hoarding problem. When he said that he didn't play with the one bear because "It was too fragile". That sounded like something that he's heard his mother say. Is there a father in this picture at all? It just seems like he has spent a little too much time with his over protective mother. They seemed to feed off of one another. I think that we saw a little "Norman Bates" in the making!
    They made a point in saying that the kid was diagnosed as autistic, and that along with having a mother who was a little crazy made him the way he was. It was interesting at the end that he was as normal as he seemed. I think his mother needed much more help than he did. And as for all of you who seemed to think the trash collector was "normal", I defy you to live across the road from him and deal with the rats and smells etc. That is just not a normal way to live.

Hi Socks, I think everyone agrees that the trash collector man definitely had a hoarding problem. The one that we are talking about that doesn't seem like a true hoarder, or is as you say "normal" but lazy and messy, is the 7-year old boy's mom. She just did not have the sheer volume of stuff like the trash collector man or the inside of all the other houses we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Socks77;3714600;
    They made a point in saying that the kid was diagnosed as autistic, and that along with having a mother who was a little crazy made him the way he was. It was interesting at the end that he was as normal as he seemed. I think his mother needed much more help than he did. And as for all of you who seemed to think the trash collector was "normal", I defy you to live across the road from him and deal with the rats and smells etc. That is just not a normal way to live.
    No doubt in my mind that he was a hoarder. I thought that it was funny that the guy's son said that neighbors "with too much time on their hands" turned him in. Yeah, right, sure, THE NEIGHBORS are the problem! Not only is it unsightly and dirty. It brings down property values! Like CORNHOLIO said, it's the kid's mom who didn't seem like much of a hoarder (at least not compared to some of the others that we've seen).
    Hey, CORNHOLIO! I told my daughter your name and we both got a good laugh out of it. Probably the only episode of "B & B" that I remember! Funny!

Hey tvholic! :-) I'm glad you guys got a chuckle... It's so silly, but every screen name I tried when I signed up was already taken. But Cornholio was available, and such a desirable name. Lucky me, LOL. I'm sure it helps me make a great first impression on folks here!

Can't wait to see more hoarders. I'm trying to catch up on the first ones that I missed. My DVR is picking up 2 episodes this Saturday, hopefully they're new to me.

These are the episodes I haven't seen yet:

(Quoted from A&E website)

TARA AND BETTY
    Tara has been reported to her landlord and needs to clean out now or she'll be homeless. She's an obsessive collector, favoring things like McDonald's Happy Meal toys, nativity scenes, snow globes and hundreds of teddy bears. Now Tara must finally get control of her hoarding and part with most of the clutter in her home or face eviction. When fire crews responded to a small fire at Betty's house they discovered her sick husband living in filth. Adult Protective Services removed him from the home because of his medical condition. For the last two months he and Betty have been staying in a hotel--but funds are quickly running out. If Betty doesn't clean up her home and her yard, he may never be able to live in the home again.

LINDA AND STEVEN
    Linda's compulsive shopping not only depleted her family's finances but filled every room in their home with piles of bags and boxes. Her husband left her three years ago when he could no longer cope with her hoarding. They are now in the final stages of divorce and Linda must clean out and sell the family home as part of the settlement. Tensions run high as she struggles to let go of her things. Steven is at risk of eviction from his government subsidized housing. His apartment is filled with garbage, human feces, bottles and cans. It's so unpleasant that even he spends his days elsewhere. Steven must clean up or be evicted from his home and end up back on the streets.

+ Reply to Thread