+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

FORT Fanatic

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

It was so depressing to read about the woman who actually lost custody of her children (although her husband got custody of the son). Where the heck could she store 1000 cartons of important 'stuff' without losing her shirt on storage fees? What is the likelihood she will ever actually go through the 1000 cartons and chuck 90% of the stuff? The remaining furnishings they showed were very spare, but at least she had the basic necessities. Very, very sad.

I had to clean out the family house where we had lived for 45 years - all 3 of us packrats. It was often painful, but 6 years later, I hardly miss any of the stuff I donated or trashed. You simply don't need all the stuff you 'had' to have.

I saw a show on HGTV last night about a woman looking for a condo in Hong Kong. A space of about 450 square foot sas welling for $450,000. No place for 'junk' there.

I missed the last show! I watched "Dancing with the Stars" and forgot about "Hoarders". I wish that Time Warner had it on demand. Guess I'll go the web.

Watched it! I was so glad that the woman chose to leave so that the cleaning could get done. Finally an episode ended with a house looking somewhat decent. Of course it's because the stuff is all in storage. The carpets looked pretty bad.
    The man seemed like he was going to do good but he really crumbled under pressure. I felt so bad for the partner and daughter. This guy really did seem to have stuff that was worth something. He had a lot of things but they seemed more organized (in a way) than most of the other hoarders. I understand his attachment to magazines , books and newspapers. I have a VERY hard time parting with these also. I don't buy books or magazines anymore and have managed to get rid of most of the ones that I had. Newspaper is only delivered on the weekends. I find it easier to get rid of these nowadays because I can find ANYTHING that I need on the internet. My cousin gave me a cookbook, as a gift, a few months ago. I thanked her but inside I was irritated that I had to keep it. I don't want ANY more stuff!

You're so right, tvaholic. The key to solving the problem is stopping the stuff from coming into the house in the first place. I find the same thing - I don't want any STUFF given to me! The only gifts I give, or want to receive, are items like candles, coffee, wine or cut flowers that can be enjoyed or eaten and are gone within a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3712030;
    You're so right, tvaholic. The key to solving the problem is stopping the stuff from coming into the house in the first place. I find the same thing - I don't want any STUFF given to me! The only gifts I give, or want to receive, are items like candles, coffee, wine or cut flowers that can be enjoyed or eaten and are gone within a few weeks.
    AGREE !!!!!! I don't want ANY GIFTS that I can't use up! Usable gifts are probably the best gift that ANYONE can receive. It sounds so awful! It sounds
    ungrateful but I don't need to add on to my "collection" of stuff.

Did anybody watch tonight's episode yet?

My DVR cut off just when they were about to give the conclusion to Paul's story. Help!!! Please let me know how it ended. Was he granted an extension? Did he have to serve more jail time?

One thing I couldn't figure out was: why couldn't Paul clear back 20 feet (which he did) and then build a tall wood privacy fence to hide the property from the road, maybe with some landscaping in front of the fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3710108;
    I think Peter, the organizer on the show Clean Sweep, did a great job in getting people to choose between their stuff and their families. I liked the system they used too - sort into trash, keep, and give away/garage sale piles. The keep pile was always too big, so Peter helped them winnow it down by getting at their motivations and helping them to see that a choice to keep piles of junk is also a choice to not have a family space, serenity, etc.
    That was a really good way of doing things as well, and as I start to organize and purge some of my stuff, I will be looking at it in four instead of three piles: keep, sell, donate, toss. The way that it worked on the show, they'd have the entire contents of both rooms, and then they would have ten minutes to sort things onto one of the three mats. Then the Keep mat would be moved to a smaller tarp, and that was when they really had to go through stuff. The next day they had the (competitive) yard sale, where they had to see who got the most money-the loser had a pre-selected valuable/sentimental item of theirs hauled away to charity along with the stuff that did not sell. All while they had the carpenters and the designer in the house redoing the two rooms so that they could be used the best for organization. For a lot of these people, they obviously need much more help, and two rooms does not a house make, but this was a really good way of doing it.

Back to how I will do it, because I do have some tendencies to keep more than I should: one pile will be stuff that I am keeping, with some things that will get boxed up for when I move out, and some things that are everyday use. One pile will be stuff that is going straight to Goodwill. One pile is stuff for a family garage/driveway sale. Then there's bags for trash and recycle, to get stuff gone.

I can definitely understand the "useable gifts" idea. Here in Seattle, there's a whole "Waste Free Gifts" movement going on, trying to get everyone to give experiences (ie tickets to a musical, a spa day, restaurant gift card) instead of stuff. I definitely think that's a good thing, especially for the relatives. I have my own take on that, but that will be for another time and place. What we do is gift cards-we do Starbucks for the people of my generation (we don't exchange gifts with my dad's side of the family), and then for the older adults we do restaurant gift cards-they get used eventually, and you're not giving another Christmas-themed crystal tray (the last one we got went immediately into my hope chest).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3713762;
    Did anybody watch tonight's episode yet?

My DVR cut off just when they were about to give the conclusion to Paul's story. Help!!! Please let me know how it ended. Was he granted an extension? Did he have to serve more jail time?

One thing I couldn't figure out was: why couldn't Paul clear back 20 feet (which he did) and then build a tall wood privacy fence to hide the property from the road, maybe with some landscaping in front of the fence?
    They gave Paul a 5-month extension. He got $3,000 for the scrap metal. Mmmm....I don't have a lot of hope for that guy.

The story with the little kid....also very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3713769;
    They gave Paul a 5-month extension. He got $3,000 for the scrap metal. Mmmm....I don't have a lot of hope for that guy.

The story with the little kid....also very sad.
    Whar was the story of the little kid?

Dang I keep forgetting about this show. It conflicts with CSI Miami & Rachel Zoe.
    I suppose it might be a good thing I haven't seen this show yet from the description of the spoiled food. I would, in Teresa's words "sceive" & then not want to eat.

+ Reply to Thread