+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Hoarders (A&E)

FORT Fogey

Re: Hoarders (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3708181;
    So tonight we watched the new episode.... (guess I'm talking to myself here) and it was so sad that the hoarders on this episode were both unsuccessful.

Why, after the big clean-up at Patty's house, didn't they have the carpets steam cleaned? It was wonderful to see the house cleared out and set up normally, but dang, the carpeting was filthy.
    That was the first thing that I noticed also. My thought was that they had to stream clean it for health reasons since they had rodents. YUCK! But then I thought 'There is NO WAY that it could EVER get sanitized enough after all that carp AND the rodents on it for so long'.

I have a one season no wear rule for clothes. As summer is now coming to an end and I get ready to clean out my summer clothes my rule is If I didn't wear it this summer then more then most likely I won't wear it next summer to in the DI bag it goes.

The story about Patti in Kansas is so heartbreaking to me. Here they had lost custody of their kids, and she's sweating out every pile of garbage and worried they were throwing out something in the stacks of empty cardboard boxes. The theme in both of these was Family vs. Stuff, and it's very disturbing to see that it's even a question for them.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I only watched a few minutes of Monday night...I am going back to it BUT does anyone notice how in all these hoarding and clutter shows there are always soooooo many TARGET bags. People must flock to Target and buy Target items and then just bring the bag into their homes and never actually use any of the items they bought from Target.

I thought about that as the show opened and Patty was shopping in Target and as they scanned her home, I noticed so many FULL Target bags throughout her home.

Also to the PP that stated carpets were filthy after the clean-up...I remember that with the young man who was gay and had the alcoholic dad...why doesn't this show either rip out those filthy carpets or get them cleaned? It cannot be all that costly?

AND I so wish they would do a follow-up show, so we could see how the people are all doing.

The plain fact that hauling away the stuff is only a short term answer. The hoarder needs some intensive counseling to understand what is so wrong with the behavior. They need to show them getting help to see what is wrong with it and how the hoarding is just a symptom of deeper issues.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I didn't get why Patty's husband was off the hook when it came to the mountains of crap in the house. He was saying that he could move out and get custody of the kids (I didn't catch all the follow-up story but it sounds like he did and has his son now). He was living there too, why didn't he start sorting and tossing a long time ago? Same goes with all the people who live with the "hoarder".

My MIL has tendencies to hoard. She has an unfathomable amount of stuff in her house and she continues to buy more. The clutter in her house actually stresses me when I'm there on visits. My FIL took it upon himself to sort items into boxes, label and store them. They have a basement and two large trailer-type sheds in their yard (they live in a rural area and have a large lot) crammed full to bursting, but it is in order. My husband and I watch the show and we've commented that if left to her own devices, his mom could end up like one of these people.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My Mom has hoarding issues. The fam has only noticed as she became a Senior. We noticed when we would go out to eat, Mom would always grab extra napkins, extra salt/pepper packets, extra packets of sweet'nlow, extra jelly/jam packets, extra pats of butter AND any extra rolls left on the table. It has progressed to any time any of the family she may be visiting wants to throw any thing at all away....she always says she can find something to do with that item. Weeks later my Sis' would see her in her purse and those rolls and butter would still be in there.

She does not shop much at all. She is 82yo. She realizes she has allot of stuff in BOTH her homes, one in Maine and one in Florida.

Sis' are going to fly to FL with her when she returns in Nov. for the winter and they are going to help her clean out her over-stuffed closests and drawers.

I own a home in Boston and have relocated to CA with DH's company. I had my MA home sitting there empty for close to a year and decide to fly home in Aug and clean it out and rent the house. It is only 4 years old. Market being so bad, we wanted to hang onto the house until we see the market rebound.

IN TWO WEEKS I had the entire house completely cleaned out. 2400 sq ft. Mom was by my side the entire 2 weeks helping me. I held two huge MOVING sales and priced everything very reasonable. House was rented in the first 24hours we had it listed with a "property management" firm.

Mom saw first hand that it can be done. As I prepared for the moving/yard sales, she would look items over and think she could use this or that or this or that. Together with all my Sis' (4) we calmly convinced her that she really does not need that particular item AND where would she put it...her house was so packed. She agreed, for the most part.

As a little project, as she loves keeping busy, I gave her most of my winter clothes, (I will not need here in CA) and told her to take them back to Maine to her fav little consignment shop. She was thrilled with that idea. I told her she could keep all the $$$ she makes. In the first week alone she made $50.00!!!

I think of my parents every time I watch Hoarders.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3708463;
    I only watched a few minutes of Monday night...I am going back to it BUT does anyone notice how in all these hoarding and clutter shows there are always soooooo many TARGET bags. People must flock to Target and buy Target items and then just bring the bag into their homes and never actually use any of the items they bought from Target.

I thought about that as the show opened and Patty was shopping in Target and as they scanned her home, I noticed so many FULL Target bags throughout her home.
    Target is the devil store! I go in there with a list & hit the dollar section & come out with more stuff than I intended. I also admit I have bought stuff there & bring it home & it will sit in the bag in a room for a month before I remember that I bought it & use it. I have started shopping for the regular home stuff on a website, so that I don't even need to go into Target as often.

I think hoarding is a new social trend, kind of like the huge portions that people get at restaurants. Everyone wants more of whatever they can get their hands on & if it's on sale or at a garage sale, even better.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I saw the previews for next week and part of the show will be about a 7 yr old who is hoarding. I think that A & E should be shot! There is absolutely no reason to show this young of a child who obviously has psychological issues. This has to be the worse exploitation of a child in any show that is on the air at this time. I will not watch Hoarders next week or again.
    There's no place like home!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3708463;
    I only watched a few minutes of Monday night...I am going back to it BUT does anyone notice how in all these hoarding and clutter shows there are always soooooo many TARGET bags. People must flock to Target and buy Target items and then just bring the bag into their homes and never actually use any of the items they bought from Target. ... [snipped]
    Target and eBay: Crazy eBay Mom

I think Peter, the organizer on the show Clean Sweep, did a great job in getting people to choose between their stuff and their families. I liked the system they used too - sort into trash, keep, and give away/garage sale piles. The keep pile was always too big, so Peter helped them winnow it down by getting at their motivations and helping them to see that a choice to keep piles of junk is also a choice to not have a family space, serenity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3710108;
    Target and eBay: Crazy eBay Mom

I think Peter, the organizer on the show Clean Sweep, did a great job in getting people to choose between their stuff and their families. I liked the system they used too - sort into trash, keep, and give away/garage sale piles. The keep pile was always too big, so Peter helped them winnow it down by getting at their motivations and helping them to see that a choice to keep piles of junk is also a choice to not have a family space, serenity, etc.
    My daughter and I both mentioned Peter after watching this last show. He could turn people around by giving them a different point of view on their stuff. The mountain of items outside Patty's house was frightening. Too bad that she couldn't really see it with her worry about the cardboard boxes and whatever could have been lost between the layers. For her to lose her children was certainly a reality check. This is a very serious disease and those families that tend to keep "useful" items for no apparaent reason need to pay attention. I belong to one of those families. Many of Depression era generation have the reputation for saving things (at least in my family!)

+ Reply to Thread