+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby

FORT Fogey

Re: Ruby

I think I am done with this show. Ruby is annoying and she doesn't seem dedicated to losing weight. There is always an excuse. How did she get this show in the first place?

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3833829;
    I think I am done with this show. Ruby is annoying and she doesn't seem dedicated to losing weight. There is always an excuse. How did she get this show in the first place?
    I think we have to keep in mind that Ruby once weighed 716 pounds. She now weighs approximately 345 pounds. I think anyone who has lost 371 pounds (so far), would be considered "dedicated" to losing weight. Yes, she is at a real point of struggle, and has been for a while, but she's working through it. And yes, she can be annoying (and frustrating) sometimes, but I think that that is exactly why this show is so valuable. Everytime we see her grapple with an issue, and then overcome it, it is a victory for her, and a terrific lesson for us. Ruby got this show because people were attracted to her and her story, and her battle with losing weight is something that many people can relate to, and find inspiration from. But of course, not every show is for everyone. . .

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3833843;
    I think we have to keep in mind that Ruby once weighed 716 pounds. She now weighs approximately 345 pounds. I think anyone who has lost 371 pounds (so far), would be considered "dedicated" to losing weight. Yes, she is at a real point of struggle, and has been for a while, but she's working through it. And yes, she can be annoying (and frustrating) sometimes, but I think that that is exactly why this show is so valuable. Everytime we see her grapple with an issue, and then overcome it, it is a victory for her, and a terrific lesson for us. Ruby got this show because people were attracted to her and her story, and her battle with losing weight is something that many people can relate to, and find inspiration from. But of course, not every show is for everyone. . .
    I completely agree! I can't even imagine what it's like to lose over 300 lbs, and remain motivated. I just know how tough it is to lose 5 lbs, let alone 300. I think she has done remarkably well.

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3833955;
    I completely agree! I can't even imagine what it's like to lose over 300 lbs, and remain motivated. I just know how tough it is to lose 5 lbs, let alone 300. I think she has done remarkably well.
    I have been working on 5lbs for several months now!! lol!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3833980;
    I have been working on 5lbs for several months now!! lol!
    I have about 5 lbs of "Christmas weight" to still lose! 5 lbs is tough -- don't know how Ruby manages to "keep on keeping on," but kudos to her.

FORT Fogey

I think I would have liked it better if the show started when she was over 700 pounds. But it started when she was 477 pounds. She's lost over 100 pounds and that is great but it is hard for me to really root for Ruby when she kind of uses everything as an excuse. I want to see the determination.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3834532;
    I think I would have liked it better if the show started when she was over 700 pounds. But it started when she was 477 pounds. She's lost over 100 pounds and that is great but it is hard for me to really root for Ruby when she kind of uses everything as an excuse. I want to see the determination.
    You know, this raises an interesting issue, and my comment isn't directed at you, RealityLovesMe, but it is appropos to your statement about what you "want" to see. . . We're watching reality tv, and many of us complain when things aren't real, but in this case, we are seeing exactly what's real! The reality of most morbidly obese people, is that they cannot easily motivate themselves to lose the weight. And Ruby's no exception, except that in Ruby's case, she seems to have a pattern of having a tough emotional experience, using that as an excuse to eat, being mad at herself for doing it, learning the lesson, getting back on the wagon, and then doing it all over again, and again, and again. This is her reality, and that's what we get to see.

I applaud her, cause she could easily give up at any one of these junctures, but she doesn't, she keeps on going cause she really wants to lose the weight. It's a long, long, long haul to lose six hundred pounds!!!! That's motivation enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3835097;
    You know, this raises an interesting issue, and my comment isn't directed at you, RealityLovesMe, but it is appropos to your statement about what you "want" to see. . . We're watching reality tv, and many of us complain when things aren't real, but in this case, we are seeing exactly what's real! The reality of most morbidly obese people, is that they cannot easily motivate themselves to lose the weight. And Ruby's no exception, except that in Ruby's case, she seems to have a pattern of having a tough emotional experience, using that as an excuse to eat, being mad at herself for doing it, learning the lesson, getting back on the wagon, and then doing it all over again, and again, and again. This is her reality, and that's what we get to see.

I applaud her, cause she could easily give up at any one of these junctures, but she doesn't, she keeps on going cause she really wants to lose the weight. It's a long, long, long haul to lose six hundred pounds!!!! That's motivation enough for me!
    Very well said!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3835097;

I am in the process of losing 100-140 pounds and I must say it is not easy. It seemed to have crept up on me as the years rolled on.

Very good post Imperfect1!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3834532;
    I'd say losing over 350 pounds without surgical intervention shows a lot of determination. Ruby is losing the weight in a safe way and like a normal human, who hits plateaus and road blocks. She's showing that it takes hard work to lose weight and it doesn't take just a few months.

I'd rather watch Ruby lose weight this way than the folks on Biggest Loser, which has gotten frighteningly unsafe, imo. Also, it's completely unrealistic for people to expect to lose 10+ pounds in a week and I think gives people at home trying to lose weight extremely unrealistic expectations.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread