+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby

Re: Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3818026;
    i fell asleep on it . . . . what was the big reveal?
    I don't want to spoil it and don't know how to make invisible spoliers.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3818026;
    i fell asleep on it . . . . what was the big reveal?
    Here's what I remember from the Oprah appearance:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    A clip was shown of Ruby meeting with her childhood doctor, who mentioned he used to see Ruby and her mother once a week. Ruby asked why she was being seen weekly, and what she was being treated for, but the doctor didn't really give an answer. He did mention that he suspected Ruby's mother was over-feeding her as a way to protect her from being attractive to people. Later, they showed another clip with Ruby, her mom, and the doctor. Ruby's mom mentioned she (the mother) had been diagnosed with clinical depression, and Ruby asked if something had happened to her (the mother) to prompt the depression. Ruby's mom answered, "something had almost happened." She went on to loosely describe a scene between her, and an older male relative of hers when she was a young girl. The mother really didn't go into details. I gathered that Ruby's mom was trying to protect Ruby from going through something similar, and that was the beginning of Ruby's weight gain. It was all kind of vague, and I'm not sure if the episodes will delve more into the issue or not. I found it odd that the doctor would keep treating Ruby every week, if nothing was truly "wrong" with her. I'm not criticizing the doctor b/c I'm sure there are more details he just can't remember, since it was so long ago. It just seems odd. I think this season will also show Ruby dealing with anger towards her mother - they showed a little bit of her anger starting to come out with her mother during the scene with the doctor. Ruby mentioned to Oprah that she now weighs a little under 350 lbs. You can really see the weight loss in her face. I'm happy for her. Although she still needs to lose more weight, I think her appearance to other people now won't make them react so rudely as they once did when she was considered really obese (I'm not sure what weight someone needs to be to be considered "obese," so I'm not trying to offend anyone). It just seems like now she can walk through crowds, without having people stare at her.

Thanks for posting that. You went into much more detail then I could have. I watched it late and was a bit sleepy......

When she walked out I thought wowsa! She's looking normal. Her face is so thin too.

FORT Fogey

libgirl2 - No prob. I'm looking forward to watching the new season. I only started watching it halfway through last season. I really respect her for trying to lose the weight naturally, instead of opting for gastic bypass surgery (No offense to anyone who chooses surgery). I can only imagine how difficult it is to stick with the new way of eating, the workouts, etc, for as long as she has. Can't believe she was once over 700 lbs - she's come a long way. She's looking great.

BTW, if you want to wrap spoiler tags: type the spoiler text, select/highlight it, and click on the 'wrap' icon (the last icon that looks like a white rectangle). HTH

thanks libgirl and daiseyo.

anyone know when the new season will begin?

FORT Fogey

buttahfly - New season starts Feb. 14

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3818491;
    buttahfly - New season starts Feb. 14

Did anyone else watch last night?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MrsClaus;3828838;
    Did anyone else watch last night?
    I watched. Ruby looks great. I'm happy that she is continuing to lose more weight. If anyone wants a bit of a spoiler about this season, read my previous post.

Was anyone else surprised that Jeff is only 30? I thought he and Ruby were the same age, and I thought Ruby was in her late 30's? Also, I thought Jeff was gay. Just always thought that. I kinda feel sorry for the new girlfriend. It's going to be tough sharing Jeff with Ruby!

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3828953;
    I watched. Ruby looks great. I'm happy that she is continuing to lose more weight. If anyone wants a bit of a spoiler about this season, read my previous post.

Was anyone else surprised that Jeff is only 30? I thought he and Ruby were the same age, and I thought Ruby was in her late 30's? Also, I thought Jeff was gay. Just always thought that. I kinda feel sorry for the new girlfriend. It's going to be tough sharing Jeff with Ruby!
    I missed it last night. Jeff is straight???!!!!

+ Reply to Thread