+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 248

Thread: Ruby

  1. #191
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Imperfect1, I so often agree with you but I must say you have the kindest heart. I see it so often in your posts.
    I wish I were more kind and less cynical as you are.
    Thanks so much, Dragonlady! That was sooo nice of you to say. It just saddens and hurts me, litererally, when people are mean spirited and when they just love to see other people engaging in all sorts of bad/mean/violent behavior that hurts others. I'm not referring to those of us who are posting here (although. . . ) but in general, you can tell by the TV ratings, that recently, so many of the popular shows involve people acting cruelly toward each other.

    I wish that 'adult' TV would take a lesson from 'pre-school childrens' TV. Kiddie shows used to be very violent, but since Sesame Street came about, there has been a complete reversal in program content, and now there's very little violence and a ton of pre-school teaching.

    Just the reverse is true in adult programming. The more violent, the more mean-spirited, the more shocking, etc. etc. the more popular. It's scary to see where we're headed. Aren't the REAL WORLD wars and atrocities and threats to our planet bad enough? Why do we have to seek out more negative energy as our entertainment??????

  2. #192
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Just the reverse is true in adult programming. The more violent, the more mean-spirited, the more shocking, etc. etc. the more popular. It's scary to see where we're headed. Aren't the REAL WORLD wars and atrocities and threats to our planet bad enough? Why do we have to seek out more negative energy as our entertainment??????
    Maybe people see violence/bad things on tv as a way to deal with their own problems in life. As hard and tough as their real life is, it's pales in comparison to the awful stuff on tv.
    Not me though. I just don't watch those shows anymore, like Law and Order, SVU or Cold Case. As much as I enjoyed the acting and the writing, I just couldn't keep watching such sad and horrific storylines any more. I like seeing the bad guys get caught and punished but I'm left so sad for the people who suffered at their hands.

  3. #193
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Maybe people see violence/bad things on tv as a way to deal with their own problems in life. As hard and tough as their real life is, it's pales in comparison to the awful stuff on tv.
    Not me though. I just don't watch those shows anymore, like Law and Order, SVU or Cold Case. As much as I enjoyed the acting and the writing, I just couldn't keep watching such sad and horrific storylines any more. I like seeing the bad guys get caught and punished but I'm left so sad for the people who suffered at their hands.
    I agree and that is one reason I became interested in reality TV when Survivor first hit the scene. I watch comedy, as well. And the reason I am not drawn to watch Ruby's agonizing journey into negative stuff. I FF through the tears on BL, too. Give me positive upbeat programing!


    Mildred Pierce is an excellent series on HBO.

  4. #194
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I agree and that is one reason I became interested in reality TV when Survivor first hit the scene. I watch comedy, as well. And the reason I am not drawn to watch Ruby's agonizing journey into negative stuff. I FF through the tears on BL, too. Give me positive upbeat programing!
    Agree!!! It's not that I'm in denial, I know bad things happen but I have made an effort to refuse to watch these shows and then am left with such a down mood.
    I also stopped listening to talk radio after being an avid listener.
    Politics and news can be pretty negative, no matter what side you're on and I can't have that constantly influence how my mood is going to be every day.

  5. #195
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Agree!!! It's not that I'm in denial, I know bad things happen but I have made an effort to refuse to watch these shows and then am left with such a down mood.
    I also stopped listening to talk radio after being an avid listener.
    Politics and news can be pretty negative, no matter what side you're on and I can't have that constantly influence how my mood is going to be every day.
    Me too, on the bolded! Talk radio is a bunch of people complaining about things they cannot control. Why even go there? These shows do not bring me down; I am able to watch with detachment, even the news. I just don't choose to; I seek programing that entertains or uplifts me.

    One thing we can control is how we feel and we can aim to do whatever it takes to feel good. It would serve Ruby to get help in this direction.

  6. #196
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Agree!!! It's not that I'm in denial, I know bad things happen but I have made an effort to refuse to watch these shows and then am left with such a down mood.
    I also stopped listening to talk radio after being an avid listener.
    Politics and news can be pretty negative, no matter what side you're on and I can't have that constantly influence how my mood is going to be every day.
    Oh and another thing, How cool would it be on BL and Ruby if they had inspirational life coaching that empowered the contestants. Upbeat future planning, with the focus on their life starts now. Have Tony Robbins as a guest speaker.

  7. #197
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,917

    Re: Ruby

    Know it's slightly off topic but I've been lurking with the discussion about what's on tv. I have to say I deal with the reality stuff like Ruby's story all day at work and enjoy those other more graphic shows because it puts stuff in perspective. Like a warm fuzzy show but can't do shows like Ruby because it's just too much more of the same. But love the graphic shows.

  8. #198
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Ruby

    Driving by and looking for an update since I don't watch. Anyone? Anything?

  9. #199
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Driving by and looking for an update since I don't watch. Anyone? Anything?
    Last night's show was really sad. Ruby was in California with her friend, Georgia, helping get Georgia's son settled in. While there, they attended a larger-sized women's fashion show, and Ruby made the acquaintance of the manager of the bar where the show was held. She was quite taken with him, and he seemed to be really into her. Of course, with her size still being an issue, Ruby felt there was no way he could look at her as more than a friend, but Georgia and the others tried to convince her otherwise. This guy contacted Ruby and arranged for them to visit an art museum and have dinner together. It really seemed like there was a physical connection there, and you could see Ruby getting her hopes up. At dinner, however, the guy told Ruby he just wanted to be friends. You could literally see Ruby's pain. She stated that she hoped someday that a man would look past her outward appearance and like her for what was inside. I felt so sorry for her!!! She did get a new hairdo, though (extensions, too), and she looked amazing. That guy really passed up on a great girl, because he couldn't look at her inner beauty.

  10. #200
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: Ruby

    Quote Originally Posted by iluvpebbles View Post
    Last night's show was really sad. Ruby was in California with her friend, Georgia, helping get Georgia's son settled in. While there, they attended a larger-sized women's fashion show, and Ruby made the acquaintance of the manager of the bar where the show was held. She was quite taken with him, and he seemed to be really into her. Of course, with her size still being an issue, Ruby felt there was no way he could look at her as more than a friend, but Georgia and the others tried to convince her otherwise. This guy contacted Ruby and arranged for them to visit an art museum and have dinner together. It really seemed like there was a physical connection there, and you could see Ruby getting her hopes up. At dinner, however, the guy told Ruby he just wanted to be friends. You could literally see Ruby's pain. She stated that she hoped someday that a man would look past her outward appearance and like her for what was inside. I felt so sorry for her!!! She did get a new hairdo, though (extensions, too), and she looked amazing. That guy really passed up on a great girl, because he couldn't look at her inner beauty.
    I have seen women her size that are NOT attractive with fairly decent looking men. One of my good friends way in the day married one guy. I would not call her attractive per say (she was awfully nice though) and he was a hottie!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.