+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ruby

FORT Fogey

Re: Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    They've been building up to the big revelation all season. I hope they actually reveal it this season rather than doing some sort of cliffhanger or something. From what Ruby said last night to Jeff and Georgia, she may have remembered WHO abused her, she's just not ready to say.

I stopped watching but came here to find out her secret. So I see she uncovered abuse and [U]of course[U] they are saving the "who" for a cliff hanger! They have to keep viewers some way because the day to day life of Ruby is just not that compelling and downright irritating for some of us!

I don't watch Ruby anymore and like shoepie read here to find out the secret.
    I just find the whole thing to be a little too predictable, pre-meditated and on-trend (child sexual abuse) to believe. I'm not saying it's fake but certainly embellished and leaning towards overly dramatic.
    But then, that's exactly how I'd describe Ruby herself.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I just find the whole thing to be a little too predictable, pre-meditated and on-trend (child sexual abuse) to believe. I'm not saying it's fake but certainly embellished and leaning towards overly dramatic.
    Ruby certainly isn't the easiest person to be around or to live with, and she definitely has her quirks and defense mechanisms. But whatever it is that caused her to lose her memory for 12 years of her childhood --- that is a whole other issue! Right now, Ruby is in such terrible, terrible, intense emotional pain and agony as she is struggling to regain her memory of (and face the reality of) what happened to her! She's not that good of an actress to have enough skill to be faking this. I think this is real, and it is so painful to watch.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    When they decided to do this show I bet her blocked memory spelled casting gold. Logic told them abuse was the root. How did they find her is a question I would like answered.

I don't think she is acting her pain, even though I have not been watching. I just don't find this entertaining. So many people are stepping forward talking and writing about their sexual abuse that it has reached its saturation point for me. Enough.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    When they decided to do this show I bet her blocked memory spelled casting gold. Logic told them abuse was the root. How did they find her is a question I would like answered.

I don't think she is acting her pain, even though I have not been watching. I just don't find this entertaining. So many people are stepping forward talking and writing about their sexual abuse that it has reached its saturation point for me. Enough.
    I'm sure it hasn't reached its saturation point for the thousands of people who have been sexually abused, not to mention the probably millions of people who have been emotionally abused, not to mention physically abused. And we don't know that Ruby was sexually abused --- although it's pretty clear that something really terrible happened to her --- but it may have been something completely different --- like, for example, if she witnessed an extremely shocking event involving someone close to her --- that could also severely traumatize a small child.

FORT Fogey

I would bet that you could take any 500lb person and discover that there is something traumatic in his/her background. Why do you think they weigh that much? I would be interested how they "found" her specifically. What stood out to me was that she really would be gorgeous with the weight off. You know the expression.."and you have such a pretty face" spoken to a heavy person.....Well in her case it is really true

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I would bet that you could take any 500lb person and discover that there is something traumatic in his/her background. Why do you think they weigh that much? I would be interested how they "found" her specifically. What stood out to me was that she really would be gorgeous with the weight off. You know the expression.."and you have such a pretty face" spoken to a heavy person.....Well in her case it is really true
    I always said she has the most gorgeous face! As she loses weight you see more and more how gorgeous she is.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

I just discovered Ruby via Netflix and now have watched Seasons 1 and 2 plus a few episodes from this year.

At one time I weighed 310 pounds (im a 5'6" female) but have lost 100 pounds and am doing it slowly and keeping it off - been 2 years. I've never been abused, but rather, while my mother's side of the family is thin, I come from a long line of food-addict obese italians on my father's side.

ANYWAY - wanted to mention something about Ruby that is of concern to me and I wonder if it is hampering her further weight loss. While I've never weighed 700 lbs and always, thru my highest weight, exercised, I think I can relate to the food addict issue. In the end, no matter how many friends you have, no matter how much support you feel from professionals and loved ones, no matter how much you talk about it, it comes down to you alone and your actions. People say you are born and die alone, and in a way, you eat alone, too. Ruby is very reliant on things outside of her to help/support her efforts - mostly her friends, also, expressing herself, etc. But no matter how many feel good hugs you're getting, it comes down to you and that bag of potato chips and your own head.

mojave, you have stated that brilliantly.

There is no "one way" that is responsible for overeating. Sometimes it's a learned thing and sometimes an emotional response to many different things.

Imperfect1, I so often agree with you but I must say you have the kindest heart. I see it so often in your posts.
    I wish I were more kind and less cynical as you are.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I'm sure it hasn't reached its saturation point for the thousands of people who have been sexually abused, not to mention the probably millions of people who have been emotionally abused, not to mention physically abused. And we don't know that Ruby was sexually abused --- although it's pretty clear that something really terrible happened to her --- but it may have been something completely different --- like, for example, if she witnessed an extremely shocking event involving someone close to her --- that could also severely traumatize a small child.
    Of course not. It is just my personal experience to feel saturated with this topic along with surviving cancer and perfer to watch other shows.

+ Reply to Thread