+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Ruby

Re: Ruby

I am probably the only person in the whole world who never liked Ruby. Not sure why I'm posting this because it probably doesn't matter to anyone but I have always found her to be whiny, full of excuses, overly dependent on others' kindness/compassion and extremely self-involved. Giving her a star role on a series all about her is exactly her cup of tea and I wonder if it will be helpful or just add to her self-involvement.

I'm sure there is a reason why she's become so large and why she can't remember her past...and most likely, it's probably sad and traumatic. I don't wish that on anyone and I sincerely hope she learns why she is the way she is and can enjoy a happier and healthier life.
    It just won't be with me, watching her. I just never got the feeling from her that fighting this battle is a goal she desires and is willing to give her all to it. To me, she is typical of people who self-sabotage themselves.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I am probably the only person in the whole world who never liked Ruby. Not sure why I'm posting this because it probably doesn't matter to anyone but I have always found her to be whiny, full of excuses, overly dependent on others' kindness/compassion and extremely self-involved. Giving her a star role on a series all about her is exactly her cup of tea and I wonder if it will be helpful or just add to her self-involvement.

I'm sure there is a reason why she's become so large and why she can't remember her past...and most likely, it's probably sad and traumatic. I don't wish that on anyone and I sincerely hope she learns why she is the way she is and can enjoy a happier and healthier life.
    It just won't be with me, watching her. I just never got the feeling from her that fighting this battle is a goal she desires and is willing to give her all to it. To me, she is typical of people who self-sabotage themselves.
    I agree with both you and Critical. I tried to like her but just cannot. I also think trying to uncover what happened is not wise. We block things for a reason. Therapy is overrated. Know that something happened, probably sexual abuse and move on to create a fabulous life for yourself. It will boil down to that anyway. It seems as though she is using this as an excuse to struggle with weight loss. She gained 60 pounds and is leaning on her mysterious childhood as an excuse.

The couples session was a disaster. That therapist is not skilled! And what an odd relationship that is/was. Another eye roll from me for all of them on that one!

She feins ignorance about her food intake, as well. She can do the "oh I didnt know" card just so much. She has to have her ex come over and show her how to cook a healthy meal at this point?!

I think I want to like Ruby more than I actually do. I like her in small doses, but I find her complete lack of self-awareness and her cutesie-ootsie words just too much at times. I think she very much uses Jeff and Georgia, even now, when she's able to get around better. They deserve some of the blame too of course - they're part of the co-dependency.

I'm going to disagree with the idea of keeping memories repressed. If you don't deal with those things, they affect your life for the rest of your life. Repressing those memories hasn't done anything good for Ruby - getting them out in the light may help her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Nope, Ruby's not perfect. Are any of us even close to perfect? Don't we all handle some things badly, in ways that are not good for us --- or the people who care about us?

I get annoyed by her sometimes too, and I certainly don't agree with how she acts sometimes and treats her friends -- and you're all right -- her take on her relationship with Denny is completely skewed and really very sad, BUT I think that Ruby has certainly evolved from the 700+ lb woman that she was, who was on the death train with absolutely no self-awareness. It's obviously a very, very long hard road to lose all that weight and to try, at the same time, to become more aware of her own issues -- and to deal with them in a way that is best for her. I give her a lot of credit for hanging in there, and especially for getting back up again after she's fallen down so many times. That's got to be the hardest thing of all because when you've fallen off the wagon you feel like you can never get back on again. It is very brave and difficult to do it, but she does. And let's not forget that, with all of her failings -- and perhaps even some 'self-sabotage' - she's still lost over 400 lbs. That's incredible! So for those reasons, in spite of the minor annoyances, I watch the show and cheer her on.

By the way, I'll bet there are many, many other obese people around the country who are watching this show (and some of the other shows where folks are trying to deal with their obesity issues), who are getting tremendous comfort and support from them!
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 03-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think I want to like Ruby more than I actually do. I like her in small doses, but I find her complete lack of self-awareness and her cutesie-ootsie words just too much at times. {snip}
    Yup, that's where I am, too. I looked forward to this episode and found myself more annoyed with her than ever before. The whole thing about her "friendship" with Denny is just simply ridiculous. They have both played a part in it being so whack... it's BEYOND time they each totally move on.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Yup, that's where I am, too. I looked forward to this episode and found myself more annoyed with her than ever before. The whole thing about her "friendship" with Denny is just simply ridiculous. They have both played a part in it being so whack... it's BEYOND time they each totally move on.
    True, but as sad as it is, putting myself in Ruby's shoes, I can see why she is having such a hard time letting Denny go. She has never had any other 'boyfriend' and doesn't think she ever will. She sees herself as completely disgusting and unlovable - physically - and that no attractive guy would ever want to be in a relationship with her. Denny is far, far from perfect, but he's physically very attractive and has always been very seductive with Ruby. She doesn't think anyone else will ever be like that with her -- and I think that she really IS in love with him --- and that combination is just too hard for her to be able to just 'move on' and walk away! Plus, I think that deep in her heart, she really wants to believe that if she can lose all the weight she needs to, that Denny REALLY WILL fulfill his (real or imagined) promises to her and really be with her.

I like her sometimes and others not so much. I have found myself saying, what the helicopter. Her lisp and baby talk is funny and annoying at the same time.

I'm glad she found those letters it's so obvious that she was abused and it's the root of all. I hope she finally works on facing it and working through it.

Denny is a jerk and she needs to let him go. If I were her I would think they were a couple too. But wow she got all psycho stalker on him with the phone. I will say she is touchy feely with everyone so she can't just say it's with him that she holds hand with that make her think that.

I didn't know Georiga and crap, I forgot his name were together back in the day. So funny how they mad a point to say he's not gay.

I watched only snippets of the show but what I saw of those letters... she was abused! She is blocking it out obviously and her issues with weight is so the result. I just wish it would come out in the open so she could begin the therapy the way she needs to. But maybe its better to take time and not rush it all out at once. I think she knows, but just can't let herself "know". Do you know what I mean?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I watched only snippets of the show but what I saw of those letters... she was abused! She is blocking it out obviously and her issues with weight is so the result. I just wish it would come out in the open so she could begin the therapy the way she needs to. But maybe its better to take time and not rush it all out at once. I think she knows, but just can't let herself "know". Do you know what I mean?
    This will be just another excuse to get attention and keep the weight on.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    This will be just another excuse to get attention and keep the weight on.
    She needs Jillian Michaels from Biggest Loser to come over and yell at her.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread