+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby

Re: Ruby

Asking a vegetarian if they mind me eating meat when I'm with them is just showing consideration. I know some veggies who have a hard time with seeing people eat meat and it's no skin off my nose to make a friend comfortable. I generally don't ask any more. The friends I have who don't mind, don't mind. But, there are friends of mine who I know are uncomfortable with it, so I just eat veggie when I'm with them. Not a big deal.

The key with Ruby's situation is that she's an addict and seems to barely have her addiction under control. Just out of consideration for her, I would have cut the really fatty dishes from that meal. Plus, as someone pointed out, she ate a lot while preparing the meal. I would have pushed her out of the kitchen and told her that she didn't have to prepare anything since she provided her house.

She did say she would only eat 2 tablespoons of each thing and it looked more like 2 serving spoons. At least.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

And let's not forget that not only was Ruby obese, she was MORBIDLY obese --- which is seriously life threatening! To just blithely say that concern for her ability to control herself is "ridiculous" shows someone is extremely unaware that there is a difference between a person who makes a lifestyle choice or dietary choice and someone who has an addiction problem that she cannot easily control. If Ruby could have controlled herself, she never would've gotten to be over 700 pounds. Part of being a 'friend' is to try to help your friends, not throw their worst temptations in their face!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3883082;
    And let's not forget that not only was Ruby obese, she was MORBIDLY obese --- which is seriously life threatening! To just blithely say that concern for her ability to control herself is "ridiculous" shows someone is extremely unaware that there is a difference between a person who makes a lifestyle choice or dietary choice and someone who has an addiction problem that she cannot easily control. If Ruby could have controlled herself, she never would've gotten to be over 700 pounds. Part of being a 'friend' is to try to help your friends, not throw their worst temptations in their face!
    Totally agree. A couple of days ago I posted that it was the person's choice to eat or not to eat, but I really didn't think it through before posting that. As a person with a food addiction, I should know better. Ya'll are absolutely correct about this...self-control is so tenuous in a case like this, why throw temptations in someone's face. Georgia and Jeff really should have assigned her another task like entertaining in another area of the house or something. Now if Ruby insisted on being in the kitchen helping prepare, don't know what else they could have done...it is her house. These kind of situations seem so trivial to those without food addictions, but they are really quite monumental trials for folks like Ruby.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Again I bring up the point, if you had a good friend who is a recovering alcoholic, would you let them play bartender? Even if they insisted? If they did, we wouldn't have alcohol!

Ruby is beyond someone wanting to lose 10 lbs.... she was on her way to certain death.... I felt like the food was being waved under her nose.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3882286;
    i don't know - that seems a bit ridiculous to me. my sister was a vegetarian for years and i would never ask her if ME eating meat made her uncomfortable. i would join her at vegetarian restaurants form time to time, but beyond that her food choices were hers and mine were mine.

honestly i don't get what the big issue was . . . . doesn't make sense to me that she couldn't just indulge (within reason) in the holiday meal and get back to her healthier eating the next day. and also increase her workout. that's what i do - - - - - if i eat something that isn't the healthiest, i just put in some extra time on the hiking trail or in the gym.
    If Ruby could indulge within reason she would never have gotten to 700+ pounds. Being overweight is one thing but being morbidly obese with a food addiction problem is a separate issue altogether.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

the April 26th issue of Us Weekly has an interview with Ruby. She has lost more weight! Doctors told her she should be down to 150, but she said she will not put a number on it. When she can "Climb the highest mountain, be on Dancing With the Stars" then she will be where she wants to be.

FORT Fogey

libgirl2 - Did the article mention how much more weight Ruby has lost? When I saw her on Oprah a couple of months ago, she said she was just under 350, and was frustrated that she seemed to be at a weight loss plateau. I'm happy to hear she's lost more weight! And I would love to see her on 'Dancing With the Stars!'

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3884720;
    libgirl2 - Did the article mention how much more weight Ruby has lost? When I saw her on Oprah a couple of months ago, she said she was just under 350, and was frustrated that she seemed to be at a weight loss plateau. I'm happy to hear she's lost more weight! And I would love to see her on 'Dancing With the Stars!'
    It didn't seem to mention that, but she looked thinner and she wore jeans! Imagine her on DWTS??!!! She would be so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3885070;
    It didn't seem to mention that, but she looked thinner and she wore jeans! Imagine her on DWTS??!!! She would be so cute!
    She would also be a gracious participant unlike that super diva Khate Grosslin.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3885070;
    Do you remember the episode that showed her in jeans? She looked great! If she ever is on DWTS, not everyone may know her, but I bet she would win them over with her gregarious personality (and inspiring story).

+ Reply to Thread