+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Colony - Discovery Channel

The Colony - Discovery Channel

Colony : Discovery Channel
    Tuesdays at 10pm EST

What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? How would you find food? Water? Shelter?

The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.

With no electricity from the grid, no running water and no communication with the outside world, all the volunteers have to work with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge from their surroundings.

Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of The Colony to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak.

Over the course of the 10-week experiment, the Colonists must work together to build the necessities of survival, such as a water-filtration system, a battery bank that powered their electricity, a solar cooker, a shower system and a greenhouse – and even some niceties (a coffee maker!).
    The Survivors:

Allison White - "The Nurse"

Amy West - “The Marine Scientist”

George Fallieras - “The Doctor”

Joey Sciacca - “The Independent Contractor”

John Cohn - “The Computer Engineer”

John Valencia - “The Machinist”

Leilani Smth - “The Martial Arts Instructor”

Michael Raines - “The Solar Technology Tech”

Morgan Hooker - “The Aerospace Engineer”

Vladimir Beck - “The Mechanical Engineer”
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 07-22-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Re: The Colony - Discovery Channel

Did anyone catch this? Already it's skewed because what are the odds of 10 people with these kinds of skills winding up together, as well as having a warehouse full of supplies. But that aside, it's an interesting concept and I'm already hooked. The only person I don't really like right now is Michael, who is a loose cannon and immature for his age. But he does know what he's doing.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3599633;
    Did anyone catch this? Already it's skewed because what are the odds of 10 people with these kinds of skills winding up together, as well as having a warehouse full of supplies. But that aside, it's an interesting concept and I'm already hooked. The only person I don't really like right now is Michael, who is a loose cannon and immature for his age. But he does know what he's doing.
    I saw it and I'll most likely watch again. It is an interesting concept, but I agree with your point about the skill sets among the group. For now, I think it's okay, but I'm not overly excited about it.

On the other hand, it's hard to follow a show as outstanding as the emmy-nominated Deadliest Catch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched the premiere episode, and will continue taping it. I think Michael said he's without cigarettes which explains his behavior to me. I think I would have the scientists/mechanics/whomever rig up an electric shock thing for the nighttime marauders. That would be cool.

Is anyone else watching this show...its been really interesting so far
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Newbie

Yup! Fascinating and I love the way the it celebrates human ingenuity. Like or hate Michael, he's a great character. Great show so far!

someone PLEASE go get Mike a pack of cigs...lol...with the serino they are using he would have been able to find some if it were real...maybe then he will chill a little......and don't tell me that he wouldn't be able to find a bottle of something to drink....but I think doing without the cigs is making this guy nuts and he is taking it out on everyone....lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread