+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: America's Got Talent

FORT Regular

Re: America's Got Talent

I really don't know why Padilla had America so fooled into thinking that she was some kind of musical genius. She had a mediocre voice at best, was too old to be tackling the "Opera" world where it takes years and years of study before she could even think of trying to get an agent or one of the big name NYC teachers. She's what I would call a "Church singer" at best. I think America made the right decision.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Socks77;3706065;
    I really don't know why Padilla had America so fooled into thinking that she was some kind of musical genius. She had a mediocre voice at best, was too old to be tackling the "Opera" world where it takes years and years of study before she could even think of trying to get an agent or one of the big name NYC teachers. She's what I would call a "Church singer" at best. I think America made the right decision.
    Ugh, GMAB. He won because of the big sad story about his humble roots, chicken-catching unemployment (um, is there a shortage of chickens now?), singing on the front porch, etc. He couldn't get through a song without singing half the notes flat. Other finalists like Drew Stevyns and Lawrence Beamen rocked their portion of the number they did with Thelma Huston. Kevin mumbled completely off-key through the one line they gave him and couldn't do harmony if his life depended on it. He sounded like some random person they picked from the audience to come up on stage and sing a line with Thelma Huston. Barbara Padilla has a magnificent voice, a master's in music, but is not a Vegas act. I'm sure she'll make it on her own, as will many of the others.

If KS hadn't won because of his back story, I'm quite sure we'd never see or hear of him again. Maybe a manager who knows how to train and promote so-so singers can work with him now so he'll actually have a career. He was on Regis & Kelly the other day and was nothing more than barely mediocre. This show is a joke, and I'm not going to waste my time watching again if it doesn't deliver what it promises, and more than that, if it sets up certain people to win with the sympathy vote. Can you imagine KS on American Idol? He wouldn't pass the audition. Yeah, Kevin seems like a nice guy, but that's not what the competition is about.

FORT Fanatic

I agree that Barbara Padilla probably doesn't have the voice to actually make it in real opera, but I think she's better than a "church singer." At least she's a lot better than any female church singer I've ever heard!

She strikes me as someone who has the voice and looks to appear in the kind of musical theater that requires a semi-operatic voice, like Sarah Brightman. If she can act.

Kevin Skinner is absolutely at his best when singing alone with a guitar. With some vocal training I think he could be very good. But he sounded awful with the band. Lawrence Beamon and Drew Stevyns were both ready to make records now. Beamon only needed some lessons on the stage presence thing.

Susan Boyle, on the other hand, showed that she is the Real Deal. I'm looking forward to buying her CD.

FORT Fogey

Technically, I think Padilla or the drummers should have won. But, these shows are all about "the show" and not so much about shear talent. Padilla and the drummers had it all over Keven Skinner who pretty much sucked during the finals. Skinner tugged at America's heartstrings more than the others, though, and in some round-about way is a good example of how America responds to things....

America voted for the dream - not the talent.

The older I get, the more my world view has changed. I can appreciate responding to a dream rather than talent much more than I could have in earlier years.

Why not put through a humble chicken catcher with a mediocre voice so he can pursue his dream and feed his family? It's not all about how good a voice one has or how well a person can play a musical instrument. There is plenty of "talent" out there ... just not enough who make us emote enough to want to support them. That is what is rare.

I'm just saying....

+ Reply to Thread