+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Superstars" (ABC)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

"The Superstars" (ABC)

Anyone plan on watching this tonight? I never caught any original version of it, but it looks somewhat good. Of course not ever seeing an original version, I'm not really sure what it's all about, so maybe I'm wrong. But any chance to see Maksim (I've been deprived the last 3 seasons of DWTS) and David Charvet is good enough for me Here's the link from ABC:

The Superstars - About/Bios - ABC.com

ABC announces the cast and team pairings of new alternative series The Superstars, a fresh take on an old favorite. The eight athletes are Jennifer Capriati, Brandi Chastain, Robert Horry, Jeff Kent, Kristi Leskinen, Lisa Leslie, Bode Miller and Terrell Owens. The eight celebrities are David Charvet, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Dan Cortese, Paige Hemmis, Julio Iglesias, Jr., Joanna Krupa, Ali Landry and Estella Warren. The series is based on ABC's classic Wide World of Sports series of the same name, which pitted athletes from all different sports against each other to determine the best athlete in the world. The Superstars pairs the celebrities with the athletes to compete in varying sporting events. Participants found out who their selected partners were only when they met for the first time at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas. The six-episode series premieres TUESDAY, JUNE 23 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Every week a team will be eliminated until one team is ultimately crowned the winner. Competitors' athletic prowess and strategy will be put to the test to excel in events including swimming, biking, running and kayaking, in addition to other head-to-head athletic challenges everyone must try to conquer.

The team pairings for The Superstars will be Terrell Owens & Joanna Krupa; Jeff Kent & Ali Landry; Robert Horry & Estella Warren: Bode Miller & Paige Hemmis; Kristi Leskinen & Maksim Chmerkovskiy; Lisa Leslie & Dan Cortese; Jennifer Capriati & David Charvet; and Brandi Chastain & Julio Iglesias, Jr.

The Superstars past winners include football stars Herschel Walker in 1987 and Jason Sehorn in 1998, decathlete Dave Johnson in 1993 and Olympic skier Bode Miller (who makes his return this year) in 2002.

HOSTS
    John Saunders
    Warren Sapp
    Jenn Brown

TEAMS
    Terrell Owens & Joanna Krupa
    Jeff Kent & Ali Landry
    Robert Horry & Estella Warren
    Bode Miller & Paige Hemmis
    Kristi Leskinen & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    Lisa Leslie & Dan Cortese
    Jennifer Capriati & David Charvet
    Brandi Chastain & Julio Iglesias, Jr.

Re: "The Superstars" (ABC)

I remember this on the old Wide World of Sports...it was a lot of fun to watch then; I might give it a look-see tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3520246;
    I remember this on the old Wide World of Sports...it was a lot of fun to watch then; I might give it a look-see tonight...
    and the Network version, when there were only 3. Who can ever forget when Gabe Kaplan of ABC beat Robert Conrad of NBC in the 100 yard dash challenge. That was Classic TV.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Ummm ... is it bad that I don't know any of these "celebrities"????
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;3520428;
    and the Network version, when there were only 3. Who can ever forget when Gabe Kaplan of ABC beat Robert Conrad of NBC in the 100 yard dash challenge. That was Classic TV.
    OMG! I loved watching that back in the '70's! I thought this new show sounded similar so I'm set to watch tonight. I don't know most of the "celebrities" either but I'm hoping I'll recognize some faces, if not the names. They're all vaguely familiar except for Paige Hemmis.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3520471;
    Ummm ... is it bad that I don't know any of these "celebrities"????
    Actually, on first glance, I thought 'hey, I know more people on here than any other celebreality show'. On second glance...no. I know Maks, Julio (but obviously more for the name than anything he's done), Ali Landry, and David Charvet. The athletes, again, I only recognize T.O., Bode, and Jennifer. But I'll give it a shot. "I'm A Celebrity" and "America's Got Talent" are on tonight, too, so I can channel flip if I get too bored.

ETA: Watching now, and I do recognize a couple more people when they mentioned where they were from. Looks interesting. This sort of reminds me of American Gladiators.
    Last edited by karalott; 06-23-2009 at 08:02 PM.

I'm really enjoying this show, better than I thought I would. I'll definitely keep watching. The team of T.O. and Joanna is dysfunctional. I don't like either of them-but I really dislike that model more than Terrell. And he's probably my least favorite athlete ever. What a poor sport (Joanna that is). In the David/Jennifer team, David seems more like the athlete than Jennifer. I felt bad they had such bad luck. I like the Jeff/Ali combo. At least they stink but can laugh about it I wonder if Maks was bluffing. For a guy who says he hasn't ridden a bike in a long time or ever kayaked he did it like a pro

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3520849;
    I'm really enjoying this show, better than I thought I would. I'll definitely keep watching. The team of T.O. and Joanna is dysfunctional. I don't like either of them-but I really dislike that model more than Terrell. And he's probably my least favorite athlete ever. What a poor sport (Joanna that is). In the David/Jennifer team, David seems more like the athlete than Jennifer. I felt bad they had such bad luck. I like the Jeff/Ali combo. At least they stink but can laugh about it I wonder if Maks was bluffing. For a guy who says he hasn't ridden a bike in a long time or ever kayaked he did it like a pro
    This was actually entertaining, much better than I'm a Celebrity. T.O. & Joanna had me laughing my butt off, never thought I would feel bad for T.O. Too bad they got eliminated.

Or did they, they show T.O. handing off a baton to Joanna in the opening credits. Did I miss something.
    Last edited by VoiceOfReason; 06-23-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason;3521333;
    This was actually entertaining, much better than I'm a Celebrity. T.O. & Joanna had me laughing my butt off, never thought I would feel bad for T.O. Too bad they got eliminated.

Or did they, they show T.O. handing off a baton to Joanna in the opening credits. Did I miss something.
    That's a good point. I wondered about that myself, unless it was something edited out, or something we overlooked Hopefully they aren't going to bring any eliminated teams back. I get tired of that concept on reality shows. Once you're out you're out-the only reason I could see them allowing these 2 back in is if T.O. and Joanna cry foul over T.O. getting caught in the net. Not anyone's fault, just really bad luck on his part. Joanna was so miserable, and I laughed at whoever said they felt sorry for her boyfriend She's a pretty girl, but doesn't have much inner beauty going on.

I had no idea this was even on till I stopped by here last night around 8:20 and saw this post. Missed the first half of the show but really enjoyed the 2nd.

Thanks guys for pointing me in this direction!!

I felt really bad for T.O. It has to hurt being a top athlete and doing that poorly, the ego crush, and then having to deal with that person and her nasty attitude. He was so crushed when his foot got stuck. I think that netting is going to be murder for all the "tall" athletes for some reason. I noticed that Lisa also got her foot stuck. Those who have already gone through it know the trick of the net, the whole grab the bar and do a somersault over it to the next one that Estella and her partner seemed to catch onto fairly quickly.

Speaking of Estella, wow, she has not aged very well. She was once a very beautiful and in high demand "super"model.

Ali, looks even better than usual!

And I kind of liked Mr. Brooke Burke (grins....David). Jennifer surprised me with how out of shape she's gotten and I surprised myself by actually knowing who a majority of these athletes and celebs are.

Can't wait for more, that was fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast