+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsessed (A&E)

Obsessed (A&E)

Anyone watch this show yet? Three episodes have aired so far. It's quite fascinating and I admire the people who participate because unlike the show 'Intervention', they choose to get the help they need and we see their recovery process through therapy sessions. I never realized how people with OCD are like prisoners in their own bodies. Last night's episode was pretty intense - Nidia and her extreme shower rituals which has landed her in the hospital a couple times. I never knew some people cleaned to that extent!

Obsessed - A&E TV
    Mondays 10/9C on A&E

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Obsessed (A&E)

Omg....I can't believe what she does to herself in the shower. That was hard to watch! I fell asleep before the end of it so I don't know how it turned out so I'll have to watch again. But I liked the show.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I've seen two episodes of this show and I like it. It is a very interesting show.

nidia was super disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by serpentina;3491480;
    Anyone watch this show yet? Three episodes have aired so far. It's quite fascinating and I admire the people who participate because unlike the show 'Intervention', they choose to get the help they need and we see their recovery process through therapy sessions. I never realized how people with OCD are like prisoners in their own bodies. Last night's episode was pretty intense - Nidia and her extreme shower rituals which has landed her in the hospital a couple times. I never knew some people cleaned to that extent!

Obsessed - A&E TV
    Mondays 10/9C on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;3493600;
    nidia was super disturbing.
    I agree. My 16 yo and I were watching it and when she was explaining what she was doing during her ritual we looked at each other like "did she just say what I think she said"!?

The other guy on that show bothered me because he clearly didn't think he was doing anything excessive. Maybe it's just me, but they would show clips of the guy doing these workouts for just a few mins a few times a day and it *looked* like the stuff he was doing was not really going to do him much good at all. I never heard the therapist try to rationalize with the guy that maybe one focused workout per day would benefit him more than these multiple short frazzled workouts that he was trying to do. ALSO, what is up with the guy just stopping at all kinds of gyms. Don't you have to have a membership to workout? Does he pay individually for a 4 min workout!? That seemed really weird to me.

i kind of tuned out her shower ritual . . . .

the exercise guy was too weird for words. i wondered the same abt the length of his workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3493615;
    I agree. My 16 yo and I were watching it and when she was explaining what she was doing during her ritual we looked at each other like "did she just say what I think she said"!?

The other guy on that show bothered me because he clearly didn't think he was doing anything excessive. Maybe it's just me, but they would show clips of the guy doing these workouts for just a few mins a few times a day and it *looked* like the stuff he was doing was not really going to do him much good at all. I never heard the therapist try to rationalize with the guy that maybe one focused workout per day would benefit him more than these multiple short frazzled workouts that he was trying to do. ALSO, what is up with the guy just stopping at all kinds of gyms. Don't you have to have a membership to workout? Does he pay individually for a 4 min workout!? That seemed really weird to me.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 06-10-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I had the same reaction. There was no visible sign that this guy was working out at all. It seems to be more about the "frantic" than the actual exercise. He seemed actually delighted that he was able to keep a daily record of his workouts for, what, 20 years? I thought the therapist should have confronted the guy about it, but, I'm no therapist.... Both of them were way too much for me.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Yup....the workouts he was doing wasn't going to "make him live longer" necessarily like he thought. Sounds more stressful to run around to all those gyms. I assumed he went to so many gyms because he was embarrassed to be going to the same gym all those times. His obsession was HOW many times he worked out....not the length.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Yeah, I couldn't believe Nidia. That is I don't want to say crazy but crazy.

And his workouts were not much of a workout, a few reps here and there 7-11 times a day? I think he said he had been doing that for 25 years.I too wondered about the gym membership. He didn't even look that fit. Did he say he had hairplugs?

ALSO, what is up with the guy just stopping at all kinds of gyms. Don't you have to have a membership to workout? Does he pay individually for a 4 min workout!? That seemed really weird to me.
    That was totally odd. Just think of all the money he was wasting by belonging to all these different gyms.
    I think that guy needed more help than his therapist could provide for him. He thought he was "cured" once he stopped turning counter-clockwise around corners. It seemed as though he felt that was his only problem, not the fact that he takes umpteen million vitamins & suppliments every day and the multiple gym memberships and work outs. Since he had a work out station in his office (what was up with that??), why didn't he just get one at home so he didn't have to spend all that time rushing here & there to different gyms. That made no sense.

Nilia had made so much progress by the end of the 12 week session, good for her!! I felt so sorry for her with her phobias and terrible shower ritual. What a horrible life for her, so glad that she finally got help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast