+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shark Tank (ABC)

Shark Tank (ABC)

Go to ABC's YouTube channel ("ABCNetwork") and look at the clip called "A First Look at Shark Tank!" Or here's the comparable page on ABC.com: Shark Tank - Home - ABC.com

I find this fascinating, because ABC has already DONE this show, with only minor differences, as "American Inventor" (produced by Simon Cowell).

The differences are that "Shark Tank" is less of a contest where they follow through with the testing of the invention, as Cowell's version was, and more about the tycoons aggressively bidding against each other, or conversely, aggressively trashing the idea.

In fact, what "Tank" actually is... is a 100% adaptation of the British show "Dragons' Den" (whereas "American Inventor" was like... a 75% adaptation). This is Mark Burnett's try at what Cowell failed at. It IS slightly odd that Burnett would choose to do a show that Cowell failed with (and even odder that ABC would buy it), but what's most odd of all is that they'd go back to the original British formula (and pay for it... apparently "American Inventor" didn't acknowledge the connection between the shows, despite the fact that the annoying Peter Jones appeared on BOTH shows) but NOT use the British show's original name--which is known to viewers of BBCAmerica Channel, so its got some cache.

Peter Jones thankfully seems absent from this version.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Re: Shark Tank

So did anyone else watch this last night? I found it oddly fascinating, both in the delusional beliefs of some people about their businesses, and also the way the "sharks" were fairly ruthless. I don't think the two people who took the deals should have taken them, and I think the young guys at the end should have taken the deal that was offered to them. I think the guy with the Dr.'s office webpads is way out of touch with what today's technology can do, too bad he's going to lose his home and probably his family because of it. I kind of liked the philosopher shark: "don't cry about money, money doesn't cry for you" and "money doesn't have a soul." I kept waiting for him to say "if you take your money and put it in the microwave for a few minutes it gets really warm, and then when you sleep with it, it feels like a real person." Rich guy, but kind of nutty.

I think I liked this more than the inventors show because it was (or at least was billed as being) up to the sharks to decide if they wanted to invest their own money. Their decisions didn't seem to hinge on whether keeping this person on the show would get better ratings but simply on the money making aspect of their business. The people on the show didn't seem to be ready for the "Hey, you want my money? Here's what I want in return" attitude of the sharks. Anyway, it probably won't last but I thought it was at least interesting.

FORT Fogey

I watched it and liked it. I agree that the guy with the pies made a bad deal by taking the money. He gave up too much of his company for too little money. The same could be said of the woman who invented the kids' medicine dropper, but at least I felt more comfortable about the female panelist who decided to invest. She seemed to genuinely care about the woman, even though it's all business. I think they could have a good working relationship and both make some money. Those two guys at the end were indeed foolish a$$hats. That was a good deal, and I think they would have made more money than in their wildest dreams if they had taken it. I was even surprised about how good a deal it was for them.

What about that guy with the surgically implanted bluetooth? Just goes to show you can take someone out of the loony bin, dress him up, and pass him off on national TV as a somewhat sane individual, at least until 30 seconds into his spiel.

Looking forward to next week's show. The previews were intriguing. The female panelist also has a real estate segment on NBC's Today Show. The opening music for her segment is "She's a Brick House." I like her!

I'm surprised that the Sharks actually took the College Foxes company seriously. I mean, what exactly is the appeal behind having the Hooters ladies help you move? I'd rather have strong people than good-looking ones.

In fact, I'm little offended that they suggest you can't be a professional mover if you look like John C. Reilly. Bravo to Daymond for his insightful comments

Also, what's with the disclaimer that "No offer is being made to the viewing audience" or something? Seriously, what?

FORT Fanatic

i didn't think the sharks were ruthless at all.

my job is to fund/create partnerships in the energy biz. in essence this same concept...someone has an idea, but NO money. we supply the money, and end up owning 70% - 90% of the deal. all these people who come in here wanting to give up 10% - 15% of their company are laughable. there will NEVER be a deal done on this show where one of the sharks agree to that.

i did find the show fascinating, and the time just flew by. i don't watch too much tv, but can't wait for next sunday.

i did think the dr's office guy might have better luck in trying his concept at coffee shops.

i think the nanny has only ONE data point re if her idea works...and it is only an idea. she has a very long way to go before that product comes on the market. i too don't know why she just didn't go to Gerber/whomever instead.

I haven't watched the show but, from the commercials at least, it looks like a rip of of BBC's Dragon's Den. I really like that show, but rarely like the American knock-offs of British shows, so I guess I'll take a pass.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love the Dragon's Den and watch that but don't know if I'm going to start watching the americanized version. I don't see them as ruthless tough I see them as realists. When you put up real money for one of these things you need better than just a good idea or a wing and a prayer.

I love the Dragon's Den as well, I'm watching the Shark Tank right now. Two of the guys Robert Herjavec and Kevin O'Leary, are from Dragon's Den that I watched. It's very similar, I don't see very much difference right now, the sharks have tried to outbid eachother a couple of times, however Dragon's Den was the same format.

I am enjoying it, and will probably continue to watch. I was unaware of the American Inventor, and as far as Dragon's Den, I watched the Canadian version on CBC.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3653500;
    I watched it and liked it. I agree that the guy with the pies made a bad deal by taking the money. He gave up too much of his company for too little money. The same could be said of the woman who invented the kids' medicine dropper, but at least I felt more comfortable about the female panelist who decided to invest. She seemed to genuinely care about the woman, even though it's all business. I think they could have a good working relationship and both make some money. Those two guys at the end were indeed foolish a$$hats. That was a good deal, and I think they would have made more money than in their wildest dreams if they had taken it. I was even surprised about how good a deal it was for them.

What about that guy with the surgically implanted bluetooth? Just goes to show you can take someone out of the loony bin, dress him up, and pass him off on national TV as a somewhat sane individual, at least until 30 seconds into his spiel.

Looking forward to next week's show. The previews were intriguing. The female panelist also has a real estate segment on NBC's Today Show. The opening music for her segment is "She's a Brick House." I like her!
    The guy with the pies was on HSN or Qvc shotly after the show aired. He was only selling the sweet potato pies, and was doing very well.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

I was really worried it would be Dragons Den with product placement but it was a lot better then I thought.

I really wanna try one of those sweet potato pies but I don't wanna order a set of 10 pies. =/

The guy with the screens was so delusional, it was just depressing.

PS WHY would get a bluetooth implanted into you? Is anyone really that bored?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast