Closed Thread
Page 1 of 285 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Jon & Kate Plus Eight

The new seasons started on Monday and we're going to give a thread one last try.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

THANK YOU!!!

I didn't plan to watch but could resist seeing the 'tups celebrate their birthday. I liked it when Jon was saying how the boys are normal boys that like wrestling with each other and just play together. The tone in his voice was that of a proud dad. You can tell he loves his children for who they are.

Sorry, this show is too much of a trainwreck right now for me to watch. I think it's time to call it quits for the kids sake.

There are so many things I both love and dislike about this show.

When I watch the earlier episodes as opposed to the later seasons I can see a troubling evolution in Kate.
    It's like watching Deal or No Deal, you can see the point where the contestants get greedy and play losing odds to try to get more money.
    I feel that I can see the point where Kate became enamoured of seeing herself on camera.

Kate admitted herself the other night that she has been hard on Jon. That should come as no surprise to the viewers, but it might have been a bit of an epiphany for Kate.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-27-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I have mixed feelings about the show going on right now with everything going on in their lives. Part of me agrees that it doesn't feel right to have the kids going through this on national TV. But another part of me has a lot of respect for Jon, Kate, and TLC for being willing to be open and honest enough about it to show what they are going through on TV.

TLC has always worked hard to put elements of the show out there which parents can relate to. Instead of always portraying things as the happy, warm thoughts that are often portrayed as the only thing parents should do or feel 24 hours a day, they show the warts. And in showing parents who get frustrated, and who get annoyed, and lose their patience, there's a huge "thank God, I'm not the only one" factor. I know that TLC has left out some segments of their life (for example, their church life) in order to make it relatable to as many factors as possible. Well struggling through the strains that parenthood can put on a marriage unfortunatley is something that is very real, which many can relate to.

I know that many are blaming the show for the downfall of the marraige, and I don't think that it's not a factor at all. But if they were in the position they're in (Jon not working, Kate working and travelling to support the family) without the show, I think they'd still have the problems they do. What I saw on Monday was a struggle between a couple to balance the nurturing requirements of parenthood with the providing requirements ... mixing in a need for taking care of each of them as an individual. That's a struggle that many many many parents out there go through. How many parents are there saying "I wish I could be with my kids more, but I have to work"? And they do need to work -- kids need food, and shelter, and clothing, education, activities which get expensive, etc. On the flip side, how many parents say to a spouse "I'm home taking care of the kids all day stuck in this house, and you'e out working doing exciting things". And that's true too. Loving your kids is very rewarding ... but it's got its challenges too. In addition to that, we're seeing another dynamic that is sprouting up more and more often these days -- the effects of a man whose been raised to believe that earning a living and providing for his family is the way to show he's a MAN, now taking on the role of nurturer instead of provider. There's a struggle and an impact on that.

They're going through some tough issues, which are issues that a lot of families out there are facing. So as tough as it is to watch, and as painful as it is to watch at times (I'll admit it -- I teared up watching on Monday), I see a little glimmer of hope in it to, recognizing that there could be some struggling marriages out there seeing it, and finally getting to say "Thank God, I'm not the only one".

I agree totally about Kate changing and really getting into the money and the perks of being on reality t.v. We all have our feelings about Kate, but at the core of this show is that the 'tuplets have now turned 5. This brings about KINDERGARTEN, etc. They are old enough so that they are much less of a challenge to basically manage and should be gone much more. I'm thinking that this show has run its course and only the trainwreck remains. The fascination of seeing how a family manages so many toddlers is very different than just a bunch of kids who can take direction. My daughter has 19 5 and 5 year olds to teach ALL day during the school year so it's not such a mystery. I'm sure not saying it would be fun to me to have so many kids, but the logistics and the management are not so fun to watch. I'd worry that they only thing keeping this show on the air would be to see the trainwreck. I'm more concerned with the welfare of the kids than seeing a show and with the contentiousness of their parents marriage they have enough of a challenge BEFORE dealing with seeing it played out on t.v. Sadly it's pretty obvious that what pays the bills is the SHOW, so the show will go on as long as people watch.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3471101;
    There are so many things I both love and dislike about this show.

When I watch the earlier episodes as opposed to the later seasons I can see a troubling evolution in Kate.
    It's like watching Deal or No Deal, you can see the point where the contestants get greedy and play losing odds to try to get more money.
    I feel that I can see the point where Kate became enamoured of seeing herself on camera.

Kate admitted herself the other night that she has been hard on Jon. That should come as no surprise to the viewers, but it might have been a bit of an epiphany for Kate.
    I have always given Kate a slight benefit that she was edited in a bad way. Words and such placed out of context. I changed that opinion after Mondays show. KAte loves Kate.

That said, did anyone else want to crawl through their TV when (?) lost his balloon? Oh he needed a hug and a "that's okay" along with a quick "you are sharing your balloon with someone in Heaven".

I saw aunt Jodi and Uncle Kevin on The Early Show this morning and it really upsets me to know they don't have access to the children anymore.
    It seems as though Kate takes steps to eliminate anyone who doesn't agree with her from her life, but in doing so she also denies her children access to people who have been around them and loved them all their lives.
    I always felt their relationship with Jodi in particular, as we saw more of that, was nothing but positive.
    If the rumours are to be believed, TLC wanted to compensate Jodi and Kevin for allowing them to film inside their home, which sounds completely reasonable to me, but Kate put her foot down and said no one was to make money off the show apart from the Gosselins.
    I don't see why Jodi should have the film crew in her house and not be compensated. That seems only fair to me.
    Beth seems to be out of the picture too now. She wasn't in season four much and made an appearance in the premiere of season five only via footage of the carnival the tups had for their third birthday.

The children love Jodi and Kevin and Beth and Bob and it upsets me to think that they are being denied access to them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I like this show and I enjoy watching the kids grow up. I can also see why Kate catches so much heat she really treats Jon like he is child number 9. I don't know what happened if anything. I do know that birthday party was all kinds of uncomfortable imo.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wow, thank you mods!
    I was going to post this in MISC Celebrity News but here goes:
    I know TLC's Jon and Kate Plus 8 is a touchy subject here at FoRT but you just can't avoid all the news about them lately. FoRT is after all a reality tv forum and I think the future of children in reality tv should be addressed. Aunt Jodi and Uncle Kevin (Kate's younger brother) were interviewed on CBS this morning regarding this very issue.

Gosselin 'Family Feud' - CBS News Video

Regarding Monday's episode and all the interviews that Kate has done regarding her marriage, she never once mentions her faith. She says that it is edited out of the show but was it edited out of Larry King, Rachael Ray and the Today show? Jon and Kate both had many opportunities to say that their faith will help them through this difficult situation but not once did either of them mention it. I find it rather odd especially since her latest book was filled with bible quotes.

Closed Thread