Closed Thread
Page 6 of 285 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 2850

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

  1. #51
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,799

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    OK...I did watch "bits & pieces" of the first episode of this season BECAUSE of all the hype and talk surrounding K&J+8 BUT what exactly did Jon do and what exactly did Kate do to cause all this stress in their marriage....???

    I have never watched this show.

    Thanks.

  2. #52
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,585

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    I think Kate is a control freak and I have seen it slowly getting worse each season. The celebrity status she has gained from the show has made her even more controlling. I love how Jon is with his kids they have to be suffering big time for this. I really think its sad the papparazzi taking the kids photos. I have no problem with them chasing Jon & Kate but the kids need to be off limits.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #53
    FORT Fogey luvsginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3472053;
    I still don't think that pulling the plug on the show is a solution to their problems. You can't forget -- the show is their job. Jon was able to quit his job because they do the show for a job. I know that when people suggest they quit the show in order to fix the marriage, it comes from the concern of living it all for the world to see instead of in the privacy of their family. But think about it -- if they were Jon the stay at home dad, and Kate the Finance VP of a corporation, and were having the problems they are, would people be suggesting that Kate quitting her job, and both being unemployed, would fix the marriage?

    In judging the possible negative effects on the kids, I think its fair to examine the positive effects the show has brought to their lives too. On some of the "ask Jon and Kate" shows they've done, that issue has been brought up, and I think the defense they've offered is a fair one. Being one of 8 kids, there is no possible way that these kids would have the experiences they've had -- the travel, the activities like children's museums, shows, etc. In addition, they would not have the human interaction which develops social skills that they've had. No, the travel and activities are not mandatory for a child's life ... but they do enrich it. If you took away the show then yes, the kids would not have to face a nation full of people debating the merits of their parents marriage. But instead, they'd have the social impact of being home playing with siblings and no one else for the huge majority of their lives, and that has its own set of effects.
    Pulling the "plug" on their show would benefit their 8 children in more ways than keeping it on the air there is nothing good about this show anymore. How can it be considered "family viewing"? Jon and Kate have made millions of the show and their children but the negative effects outweigh the positive aspects by a mile. If owning three homes, a fleet of cars, sending the children to the most exclusive school in the area, wearing designer duds, having 100 pair of shoes and flying off to 5 star resorts is not enough for this couple, nothing will ever be enough. It's obvious Kate Gosselin has become accustomed to material things and no matter what she has she will never be satisfied.
    Pulling the plug on the show may not be the solution to their marriage but it certainly will take the scrutiny off the Gosselins. As long as they keep the show on the air they are fair game which includes being followed by the paparrazzi. If these two honestly wanted to save their marriage and their family they would pull the plug, seek counseling and live the remainder of their lives out of the spotlight. This will never happen because Kate Gosselin loves the spotlight way too much. In her own words "I will not lie down and die."

    Also...if the show is "their job" why is Kate out of town so much? It seems her "job" is self promotion.

  4. #54
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3472122;
    OK...I did watch "bits & pieces" of the first episode of this season BECAUSE of all the hype and talk surrounding K&J+8 BUT what exactly did Jon do and what exactly did Kate do to cause all this stress in their marriage....???

    I have never watched this show.

    Thanks.
    Neither of them is verbalizing it with specifics, so everything that people know is from second hand reports and speculation.

    Jon has been caught by tabloids on a few occasions out partying with people, including a young woman whose been present each time. The young woman's brother sold a story to Us Magazine confirming that the two are having an affair. Whether he sold that story because its the truth or because it could make him a lot of money, is left for each to judge on his or her own. Jon has admitted publicly to not making smart decisions in their marriage, and has said he did not cheat, but that's the extent of what he's revealed.

    Kate has been travelling more and more promoting her books, show, and self, leaving more time with Jon at home with the kids without her. She also has a history, as shown on the show, of taking out her frustration and stress on Jon through yelling, complaining, blaming, etc. There have been accusations made in some tabloids that Kate is also having an affair, with the bodyguard who travels with her. However, unlike the pictures of Jon with the girl he's allegedly linked to, there's no evidence to indicate that there's any relationship between Kate and the bodyguard beyond that of a normal bodyguard.

    Many of the reports and discussion about them has to be taken with a grain of salt, I think. There are those reality stars who, for whatever reason, evoke great passion of both love and hatred among some people. Kate Goesslin is one of those people. So, in addition to the adoring fans who will buy every book she puts out, there are also those devoted to slamming her, and taking her down. Some have gone to extremes such as filing complaints with child protective services, etc. So it's hard to tell from the sidelines what comes out because its truth, and what comes out because of the over-exuberance of fans.

  5. #55
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,799

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Thank you, Veruka. I really appreciate your post.

  6. #56
    FORT Fogey luvsginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3472122;
    OK...I did watch "bits & pieces" of the first episode of this season BECAUSE of all the hype and talk surrounding K&J+8 BUT what exactly did Jon do and what exactly did Kate do to cause all this stress in their marriage....???

    I have never watched this show.

    Thanks.
    Let's just say that Kate has been less than pleasant to Jon on the show as she admitted during the season premiere on Monday night. Jon has been photographed with a woman who he allegedly had had a more than platonic relationship with last month.
    Kate has cut all relatives out of their lives and her brother and sister in law have recently come out with some pretty explosive accusations of infidelity and "secret" contracts that allow for an open marriage. Jon and Kate have marketed themselves as God fearing Christians and it is rumored that they are paid up to $25,000 for speaking engagements at huge Assembly of God type churches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3472136;
    Neither of them is verbalizing it with specifics, so everything that people know is from second hand reports and speculation.
    Jon has been caught by tabloids on a few occasions out partying with people, including a young woman whose been present each time. The young woman's brother sold a story to Us Magazine confirming that the two are having an affair. Whether he sold that story because its the truth or because it could make him a lot of money, is left for each to judge on his or her own. Jon has admitted publicly to not making smart decisions in their marriage, and has said he did not cheat, but that's the extent of what he's revealed.
    To be fair, US Magazine has denied paying her brother for the story.
    Last edited by luvsginger; 05-28-2009 at 11:36 AM.

  7. #57
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,787

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    My friend saw her at a local church and commented how she expected Kate to speak more about her faith.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #58
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3472154;
    My friend saw her at a local church and commented how she expected Kate to speak more about her faith.
    She spoke at my church too. I can tell you that the church I attend is large, but is not one of those large Assembly of God type churches. I can also tell you that the cost to bring them in was expensive, but that wasn't entirely payment to them. The cost included airfare, hotel, per diem for food type expenses which is standard for bringing in a speaker. Ticket prices were relatiely low - $4 and $10 depending on location of the seats - and the church covered 100% of the expenses incurred from paying them and made a profit, through the ticket sales. I've talked to no one in the church leadership who believed that they got a raw deal in the price paid.

    Surprise at the presentation would depend on expectations going in, I guess. I thought it was simply going to be talking about the kids and show, with some questions and answers. I was surprised by how faith-based it was. Yes, the theme of what she said was the story of having and raising her family, but the entire thing was injected with points about the way that she saw God's presence in the events of their lives. It was more of a faith story than evangelism or a sermon, but from what I saw, her faith was at the core of the presentation.

  9. #59
    FORT Fogey luvsginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3472161;
    She spoke at my church too. I can tell you that the church I attend is large, but is not one of those large Assembly of God type churches. I can also tell you that the cost to bring them in was expensive, but that wasn't entirely payment to them. The cost included airfare, hotel, per diem for food type expenses which is standard for bringing in a speaker. Ticket prices were relatiely low - $4 and $10 depending on location of the seats - and the church covered 100% of the expenses incurred from paying them and made a profit, through the ticket sales. I've talked to no one in the church leadership who believed that they got a raw deal in the price paid.

    Surprise at the presentation would depend on expectations going in, I guess. I thought it was simply going to be talking about the kids and show, with some questions and answers. I was surprised by how faith-based it was. Yes, the theme of what she said was the story of having and raising her family, but the entire thing was injected with points about the way that she saw God's presence in the events of their lives. It was more of a faith story than evangelism or a sermon, but from what I saw, her faith was at the core of the presentation.
    This sounds more like the reports I have heard from her speaking engagements. When Kate was going in for the tummy tuck surgery, Jon and Kate prayed together. I thought this was a touching moment and it revealed their faith in God. But, I am really surprised at how there is no mention of their faith through this troubling time. You would think that for someone who speaks regularly about her faith through various speaking engagements and through her books, Kate would have brought it up at least once. I know that she has mentioned that TLC has edited out the religious aspects of the show but what about the Today show, Rachael Ray, People Mag, Dr Phil and Larry King? Do you think that what Aunt Jodi and Uncle Kevin have said is true, that they are "lost?"

  10. #60
    FORT Fan Oompaloopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    370

    Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

    Bill O'Reilly did a spot about J&K last night and the night before. He made some really good points. "There ought to be laws against children being exploited by their parents on reality shows. He and a psychologist went into it in detail and I couldn't agree more with their statements.

    It's the parents who sign on to these shows for fame and stardum and the kids who are left to pick up the pieces while being teased at school, fodder for message boards, not equipped to handle what is being said (in the media and super market magazine racks) about their parents, etc.
    O'Reilly was livid over J&K and what is going on with their kids. Even Kate's brother is speaking out. (I think it was her brother). I don't watch the show so I can't really jump in in terms of the content but I know other reality show kids have been hit really hard and are still realing in the after affects.

    As for me, I think some shows have taken it way too far. If you really, really have an obsession for stardum and you think it can be achieved through reality show venues, leave your kids out of it and see if you can fly on your own. Look what happened to Josh Waring on the OC Housewives when he was exploited starting at 16 years old.
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.