Closed Thread
Page 283 of 285 FirstFirst ... 183233273274275276277278279280281282283284285 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 2850

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

FORT Fogey

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Lots of celebs have "As told to" books. Does anyone honestly think that actors--for exwpmmple--re really good writers?
    You're right, and those celebs readily admit they didn't write their book, unlike Kate who is content to take credit for something she didn't do. I remember watching an interview on GMA where the interviewer introduced Kate and said the title of the book, and then said, "...with Beth Carson." Kate simply smiled and said nothing to acknowledge Beth's contribution, unlike most celebs who are gracious enough to say something like, "I couldn't have done it without ________."

BTW--it doesn't matter who is sitting in that sad little corner"--my heart goes out to them--it is really hard to meet people under those conditions.
    But Kate wants to be a talk show host. If she can't handle meeting people in those conditions, she certainly won't be able to handle a difficult interview, unexpected or last minute changes in the format, without a script or a handler nearby to tell her what to do. I guess it's hard for me to feel sympathy for her "sad little corner" because that's the corner she painted herself into.

FORT Newbie

I think Kate handled herself very well. There's so much hate toward her...why because she does want to better herself and continue to support her children. She's having to do this because if Jon keeps listening to Hailey and keeps belittling Kate there's not going to be a show that wants him. He thinks by spreading the hate he's helping himself...wrong.I think Jon has got way over his head and don't know how to turn this all around. I bet sometimes when he lies in bed at night with (Hailey) he's wishing it was all a bad dream and he wakes up to find Kate, the children and himself together.You can all say what you want but i bet this has crossed his mind.Kate has yet to coming right out and talk about Jon, other than when he DID take the money.

FORT Regular

Just watched the Kate answers questions show. I also don't understand the negativity. I thought she did a very nice job answering questions without putting Jon down. I think she has done some inner work on herself, like realizing she has to let go of the control via housework and stuff. I am the mother of 6 children, no multiples, and I could relate to a lot of her answers, like all of the sudden realizing it's time to dress nicer, having a babysitter because shes a single mom. When my kids were little, whenever my husband was away, I always had help for homework, baths, and bed. When the babysitter couldn't come and I had to take one child to an after school activity, just thinking about taking all my children with me produced anxiety. Others here interpreted the throwing of the pages as showing she doesnt' care about the viewers. I saw it differently. I think she was feeling a little awkward at the whole set up and was relieved that one more question was asked, answered, and Hooray I am almost finished with this!! And, as a family therapist, who has seen lots of troubled children, those kids seem to be doing great. I can tell just by the way they hold themselves, how they talk to Kate and the crew, to each other. Very, very normal and healthy. Yes, I agree, it's a shame she said that about Joel (I think) how his wife would find out he's clueless. Obviously Joel reminds her of Jon. She's going to have to realize that and work on not making that thought ruin her relationship with Joel. Every parent has something (s) that needs to be worked on. I wish her luck, hope she does find somethng to pay the bills.

FORT Fogey

"In a sad little corner of Maria Shriver's big Women's Conference in Long Beach, Calif., Kate Gosselin was tucked into a tent Monday night, waiting to sign copies of her new book. But there were few fans who wanted her autograph. "

Now that I've seen the video myself I can say--this is a complete misrepresentation of the conditions for Kate--and for the other authors who were there as well.

And there were many more people than gave just "polite applause"

Nor was she "in a sad little corner."

IMO whoever wrote this "report" was not aware of what really went on but wanted to make it sound as though no one was paying attention to Kate--which is not true if you watch the video.

I saw it on ET and Access Hollywood last night.

BTW--the arrangements that each celebrity might have with their wrter varies from deal to deal.

Some have a contract that says that the writer shall NOT be mentioned at all either in print or in any acknowledgement--and others have an arrangement wherby their name is attached to the book but there is to be no public discussion or comment about their work.

And some are obligated--by contract--to mention the writer whenever they talk about the book.

These are legally binding contracts that are signed onto by the writers.

So--it's better not to judge one celeb by the contractual arrangements of another.

(There have been lawsuits in which writers tried to break the contracts-usually having to do with how much they agreed to be paid--but sometimes for a change in how they are mentioned/not mentioned--some have sued to have their names taken OFF a book----and I know one writer who sued to have their name put on the book after it took off in sales--but the courts have ruled in favor of these being legally binding contracts as long as both parties are legally able to form contracts with others and all contracts laws were followed in the formation.)
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 10-28-2009 at 08:59 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just2relax;3738053;
    Just watched the Kate answers questions show. I also don't understand the negativity. I thought she did a very nice job answering questions without putting Jon down. I think she has done some inner work on herself, like realizing she has to let go of the control via housework and stuff.

I am the mother of 6 children, no multiples, and I could relate to a lot of her answers, like all of the sudden realizing it's time to dress nicer, having a babysitter because shes a single mom. When my kids were little, whenever my husband was away, I always had help for homework, baths, and bed. When the babysitter couldn't come and I had to take one child to an after school activity, just thinking about taking all my children with me produced anxiety.

Others here interpreted the throwing of the pages as showing she doesnt' care about the viewers. I saw it differently. I think she was feeling a little awkward at the whole set up and was relieved that one more question was asked, answered, and Hooray I am almost finished with this!! And, as a family therapist, who has seen lots of troubled children, those kids seem to be doing great. I can tell just by the way they hold themselves, how they talk to Kate and the crew, to each other. Very, very normal and healthy. Yes, I agree, it's a shame she said that about Joel (I think) how his wife would find out he's clueless. Obviously Joel reminds her of Jon. She's going to have to realize that and work on not making that thought ruin her relationship with Joel. Every parent has something (s) that needs to be worked on. I wish her luck, hope she does find somethng to pay the bills.
    Just2relax--hi and thanks so much for your very informative post! That soudns like a lot of ahrd work. "

Having now seen that session I agree that she did a good job and did really seem to be in a calmer place emotionally.

As for "throwing the papers around" I thought she was just doing what anyone would do who had to sit with a whole stack of papers in their hand.

BTW--thanks so much for your input from the point of view of a family therapist. Very valuable info!

I totally agree with both of you. Unfortunately, Kate could turn into Mother Teresa and some people would continue to bash her regardless. I don't get it, but whatever it takes to make them feel better.

FORT Fogey

There's so much hate toward [Kate] ...why because she does want to better herself and continue to support her children.
    I disagree that there's "so much hate" toward Kate (and Jon) but, more accurately, it's criticism and disgust for their behavior, for making the choice to exploit their children and, in so doing, destroying their family out of greed and self-absorbed behavior. There is no need to "hate" anyone for making such terrible choices for their family, but it is important to advocate for the victims of those choices, who are the innocent children, the real income earners for the family.

BTW--the arrangements that each celebrity might have with their wrter varies from deal to deal.

Some have a contract that says that the writer shall NOT be mentioned at all either in print or in any acknowledgement--and others have an arrangement wherby their name is attached to the book but there is to be no public discussion or comment about their work.

And some are obligated--by contract--to mention the writer whenever they talk about the book.

These are legally binding contracts that are signed onto by the writers.

So--it's better not to judge one celeb by the contractual arrangements of another.
    I work for a firm that publishes books and articles for a targeted industry, so I'm aware of the variety of contractual possibilities. However, when MB was first published, Beth Carson gave an in-depth interview to the local newspaper about her participation in writing the book. So there was obviously no restriction upon her ability to say whatever she wanted about her contributions. And I've never seen a contract that penalizes an author for making a courteous comment about a coauthor of their book.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;3738125;
    I disagree that there's "so much hate" toward Kate (and Jon) but, more accurately, it's criticism and disgust for their behavior, for making the choice to exploit their children and, in so doing, destroying their family out of greed and self-absorbed behavior. There is no need to "hate" anyone for making such terrible choices for their family, but it is important to advocate for the victims of those choices, who are the innocent children, the real income earners for the family.

I work for a firm that publishes books and articles for a targeted industry, so I'm aware of the variety of contractual possibilities. However, when MB was first published, Beth Carson gave an in-depth interview to the local newspaper about her participation in writing the book. So there was obviously no restriction upon her ability to say whatever she wanted about her contributions. And I've never seen a contract that penalizes an author for making a courteous comment about a coauthor of their book.
    I know of some pretty fampus examples where the writer was not supposed to even exist asper the contract.

And one case in which someone did mention the writer's name which came close to prompting a lawsuit against the writer--even though they were not the one who mentioned their name.

It was a very famous celeb bio which ended up making a lot of money and making the celeb look like a very good writer--which of course they were not. The ghost did all the work.

But they were almost drummed out of the ghosting biz for somehow "allowing" their name to be mentioned in relation to the book.

This was at a time when I was thinking about doing some "as told to" projects but I was given an earful by other writers who had been through the legal mill with some of these contractual problems.

FORT Fogey

And there were many more people than gave just "polite applause"
    I'm not sure what you expected to see, but I didn't see a packed room with fans cheering and screaming "we love you Kate." What I saw was polite applause from a very small audience. And when I say "polite," it's not in a derogatory way, but to differentiate from a loud, rousing response, which is definitely not what Kate received.

Nor was she "in a sad little corner."
    It looked sad to me, Kate twirling her Sharpie and no one in line for an autograph. YMMV.

I know of some pretty fampus examples where the writer was not supposed to even exist asper the contract.
    Was this writer's name prominently displayed on the front of the book, as Beth's name appeared on MB?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;3738136;
    I'm not sure what you expected to see, but I didn't see a packed room with fans cheering and screaming "we love you Kate." What I saw was polite applause from a very small audience. And when I say "polite," it's not in a derogatory way, but to differentiate from a loud, rousing response, which is definitely not what Kate received.

It looked sad to me, Kate twirling her Sharpie and no one in line for an autograph. YMMV.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Having been part of book signings and having actually had to sit through both feast and famine--I gauge that group as very enthusiastic.

I would love to always get that kind of greeting at a signing.

(BTW--there are always moments when even the most popular writer/author has to sit and wait for more fans to appear. It's just the nature of the beast. And it's a great time for the authors to get to know each other. I've made some very good connections during those slow times.)

I liked what Maria Shriver said abou Kate as she talked about why she invited Kate to come to her Women's Conference book event. I also liked how supportive Valerie Bertinelli and the other celeb authors were to Kate.

Closed Thread