Closed Thread

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

FORT Fogey

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

It's true that some people make a distinction between the Duggars and the Gosselins, but I think it's more about the differences in parenting. Unlike the Gosselins, the Duggars have not allowed the attention from their show to distract them from their faith or from being the family they want to be. The parents are still very much together and behaving like parents, rather than self-centered, delusional famewhores who believe they have a "career" in showbiz.

I think the dislike for the Gosselins isn't just about the exploitation of their children, but that they abandoned their responsibilities to their kids and destroyed their family in pursuit of celebrity and media attention. They both believe they can have careers in showbiz when neither one of them had any experience other than J&K+8, which was supposed to be a documentary of their everyday lives. Kate wants a talk show, Jon is pursuing "opportunities" (whatever that means). They've both shown their true character as selfish, greedy, immature individuals, and that, as much as anything, has contributed to the public backlash against them.

I agree that the presence of ANY children in a reality series is cause for concern, and it's encouraging that, thanks to the Heene debacle, there is more mainstream media coverage of this disturbing trend, as shown in these recent articles.

The kids stay in the picture--sadly enough
    In his De Gustibus column, Eric Felten writes that Balloon Boy and the Gosselin children are among the many kids being exploited so parents can get on TV. - WSJ.com

The rise of kidsploitation
    Rise of kidsploitation

Lesson from 'Jon and Kate' saga: Parents should grow up and get to work
    Lesson from 'Jon and Kate' saga: Parents should grow up and get to work | PoconoRecord.com

Is your 15 minutes of fame worth all the heartache for your kids?
    Is your 15 minutes of fame worth all the heartache for your kids? | Culpeper Star-Exponent

Stupid parents, reality TV, and kids at risk
    Magazine preview: Stupid parents, reality TV, and kids at risk | EW.com

FORT Fogey

MizDaisy--hi.

Ypu say in part--

"It's true that some people make a distinction between the Duggars and the Gosselins, but I think it's more about the differences in parenting. Unlike the Gosselins, the Duggars have not allowed the attention from their show to distract them from their faith or from being the family they want to be. The parents are still very much together and behaving like parents, rather than self-centered, delusional famewhores who believe they have a "career" in showbiz."

What is the difference between making their children appear on camera week after week from the time they are infants (The Duggars) --and making their kids appear on television from the time they are infants (The Gosselins)--

And getting paid for each time each child appears on tv?

Because that is what BOTH sets of parents have done.

I would truly like to know the difference between those two situations for all the children involved--both sets of children have been put under public scrutiny by their parents from the time they were infants--without their permission.

FORT Fogey

I think that while the distinction between J&K's parenting style vs. the Duggars is a good one, I wonder why the main concern in all these cases is being left out - the rights of the children themselves. These rights are irrelevant to parenting style.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3735748;
    I think that while the distinction between J&K's parenting style vs. the Duggars is a good one, I wonder why the main concern in all these cases is being left out - the rights of the children themselves. These rights are irrelevant to parenting style.
    Exactly!

In both these cases the parents have SOLD their children's right to privacy for that shiney money they get for each child's appearance--from the time the child is a very young infant.

For some reason there seems to be an attitude that the Duggars are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts while the Gosselins are "bad guys"--for dong the exact same thing.

Count me among those who think both families are exploiting the kids.
    Just because the Duggars seem to be better parents doesn't make them innocent of exploitation.

FORT Fogey

What is the difference between making their children appear on camera week after week from the time they are infants (The Duggars) --and making their kids appear on television from the time they are infants (The Gosselins)--
    I wonder why the main concern in all these cases is being left out - the rights of the children themselves. These rights are irrelevant to parenting style.
    Please note that I did NOT give the Duggars a pass for exploiting their kids, as I said that ALL kids on reality series are cause for concern. The difference I addressed as far as the Gosselins vs Duggars was that of parenting style, not whether one is exploitation and the other is not. Of course, there is no difference as far as exploitation.

FORT Fogey

MizDaisy--Hi--thanks for the clarification. Sorry if I misunderstood your original post.

FORT Fogey

Well then, MizDaisy, now that you've clarified, it appears we're in agreement.

I think the Duggars take the responsibility of the fact that they're putting their kids out there on tv more seriously. It doesn't make the decision right though.

FORT Fogey

I think the Duggars take the responsibility of the fact that they're putting their kids out there on tv more seriously. It doesn't make the decision right though.
    /\/\/\ Yes, we agree, and on this statement as well.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3735005;
    Looking at these two people from a non-emotional viewpoint--her having the foresight to get really good legal help would make her a lot smarter than he is.

Something we've seen proved time and again in Jon's feckless (I am trying to be kind) behavior ever since the separation began.
    Perhaps you are right. But, IMO - her getting legal counsel early on could also be a sign of shallow commitment, plotting for something more than harmony in her marriage, seeing 'greener pastures', ... not being willing to fight for her marriage, the happiness of her family, so many different slants on this... so many.

I do not applaud Jon - he was reckless - but, I still contend that there is an understanding that needs to be directed to him (not excusing him - there is no excuse for cheating) - but, knowing men as I do and seeing so many men emerge from repressed relationships to do the exact same thing as he did - it is understandable, not excusable.

He clearly had to be lacking in self-esteem & self-worth - seeking validation. He was likely emotionally exhausted needing companionship where someone wasn't always screeming at him. He hated the cameras and ran.

Again - his choices were poor - I agree with all opinions out here on that - but, I think he shouldn't be judged to harshly. Turning the tables - I'm sure most of us would have done nothing less if enduring the verbal berating from someone day in and out.

Closed Thread