Closed Thread

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3735205;
    Since this is a deal that the children would NOT be a part of, I say Jon should go for it. After all, Kate wants to be on TV as well. If both were to stop putting their children on TV and focus on themselves instead then I think that alot of people would have no problem with it. As long as the children are out of the spotlight and are being taken care of then it doesn't matter to me what either of these two idiots do.
    Here's my thought on this one: yes, on the one side, if he can get money in a way that doesn't further hurt the children, that is great. But for the two shows mentioned - both would require him to be gone for long periods of time. I believe Survivor films for something like 40 days and it is about that long for Amazing Race too. More than money, more than gifts, more than anything else in the world right now, what these kids need are THEIR PARENTS. Choosing a "job" that would take him away from them for over a month is a really bad idea - JMO.

Also, since I note it hasn't yet been posted here, there was a follow up story on People.com Friday that said that Kate had complied with the order and provided all the back up the judge requested for the accounting of her $55k. There was also a report from her lawyer that said that, as of the time of the report, Jon had wired about $28k back into the account. $152k was still expected. The lawyer stated that he assumed he would get it, but as of the time of the article, the money had not been wired in yet. I haven't seen an update yet as to whether it showed up or not.

And a final note, Mark Heller is apparently not Jon's "official" attorney anymore, since he couldn't get anyone to sponsor him in PA. But, notice that he is the one who released the story about Jon paying all the money back. So the guy is not his lawyer anymore - what is he now? Jon's publicist. I have said it before and I will say it again - much of the really stupid stuff that has been publicized about Jon happened AFTER he hired Mark Heller. The smartest thing Jon could do at this point is cut this guy loose and shut his mouth!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3735402;
    Here's my thought on this one: yes, on the one side, if he can get money in a way that doesn't further hurt the children, that is great. But for the two shows mentioned - both would require him to be gone for long periods of time. I believe Survivor films for something like 40 days and it is about that long for Amazing Race too. More than money, more than gifts, more than anything else in the world right now, what these kids need are THEIR PARENTS. Choosing a "job" that would take him away from them for over a month is a really bad idea - JMO.

Also, since I note it hasn't yet been posted here, there was a follow up story on People.com Friday that said that Kate had complied with the order and provided all the back up the judge requested for the accounting of her $55k. There was also a report from her lawyer that said that, as of the time of the report, Jon had wired about $28k back into the account. $152k was still expected. The lawyer stated that he assumed he would get it, but as of the time of the article, the money had not been wired in yet. I haven't seen an update yet as to whether it showed up or not.

And a final note, Mark Heller is apparently not Jon's "official" attorney anymore, since he couldn't get anyone to sponsor him in PA. But, notice that he is the one who released the story about Jon paying all the money back. So the guy is not his lawyer anymore - what is he now? Jon's publicist. I have said it before and I will say it again - much of the really stupid stuff that has been publicized about Jon happened AFTER he hired Mark Heller. The smartest thing Jon could do at this point is cut this guy loose and shut his mouth!

KatesMom--hi. Thanks so much for your highly informative post!

I have a question--is Mark Heller Jon's original attorney or was he the second/replacement lawyer?

Thanks for info on this.

Also--it's interesting that no one in PA would sponsor him. Very interesting.

Usually that's a courtesy type situation with no hassles involved.

Things that make me go Hmmmm.......

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3735381;
    I come from a big family full of big families.

Big families usually have older children who can help out. I should know because I was "volunteered" to do that for younger brothers and sisters.

When ALL eight children are either infants or toddlers the stress would be incaluculable.
    ITA. And as for J&K it was not until this past year or so that they have had a full time nanny.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3735391;
    To a normal family without the means to have people in the home to help take care of the 8 small children, yes, it would be very stressful. To a family that has that added help and continues to have that added help, not so stressful. I would think that the children are more stressed out at this point than the "parents" simply because of what they have to put up with on a day to day basis. Mom or Dad need time to themselves? No problem.......spa or vacation, here I come. The kids need time to themselves? So sorry, you have 7 other siblings that you have to deal with, not to mention TV crew, nannies, and god knows how many photogs chasing after them. Yes, very stressful for those kids. And it is something that they have never asked for. I can only imagine the kind of things that they hear from other kids while in school.
    This family didn't have any more added help when the youngest were newborns. The got all that help when they got the money with the show.

Yes, lots of families are large and they manage just fine. But most parents have the benefit of doing it one or two kids at a time, adding on gradually. I doubt you're going to tell me that "lots of families" go from two kids to eight in the span of a day. As much as you can prepare for a new baby during pregnancy, there's still a huge time of adjustment to being in charge of more people's needs.

Obviously, no factor is a breaking point for ALL marriages across the board. However, I feel that the fact that they had all these kids in such a short amount of time was a contributing factor to the parts of themselves they lost and the parts that never developed, as well as the parts that grew from stress and being overwhelmed.

I went from one child to three in a day so I can empathize with how tough it can be.

I think people have been loosely defining the term "exploit" especially when it comes to the Gosselins. They equate getting paid to exploit which is really ridiculous.
    The kids aren't getting paid THE PARENTS ARE.

But even if the kids were, they're not in a position where they can say "no". The decision's been made FOR them.

But even if the kids did somehow have some input, they're KIDS. Not fully equipped to understand what they've gotten themselves into. That's supposed to be the job of the parents, but when the parents are famewhoring #@&holes, then the kids? Are just screwed.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I read yesterday that Jon is not considering going on Survivor or The Amazing Race. Truthfully, I am happy that he is not thinking of going on either show (they are two of my faves!). I agree that those children need him more than he needs to go on either of these reality shows. (And just who would he take as his partner on TAR - Hailey??? )

Jon Gosselin: Yes to Paying Back Kate, No to Amazing Race - E! Online

In the meantime, rumors that Papa G. may be hoping to recoup some of that money by appearing on either Survivor or The Amazing Race are false, E! News has learned exclusively.

"Jon is not doing Amazing Race or any other reality show," Heller says. "No Divorced Dads Club, nothing. He is focused on his personal life and the matters at hand."

-------------------------------

As far as help goes, they have always had help. When the tups were born, there were volunteers around the clock to help with the feedings, etc. Even Jon's parents, or at least his late father, was involved. When Kate was in the hospital, on bedrest with the tups, it was HER now-estranged parents who took care of the twins.

I think it is more unusual for parents of multiples NOT to have volunteers helping out with the new babies' schedules when they are all finally home from the hospital. The McCaugheys, Dilleys, etc., all had volunteer help.

In the earlier "seasons" of J&K+8, they had the women who came in to do the laundry, ironing, etc. One was called "Nana Janet" IIRC. They were around in the background and at the tups' 3rd birthday. There was also an episode where the G's went Christmas caroling to the homes of the "helpers." Kate's friends, Carla, and her daughter, think her name is Ashley, were around a lot as well. Then there was Beth and another lady who watched the tups when J&K took the twins with them to CA for one of the church speaking engagements.

And let's not forget Aunt Jodi. The G's even moved into the same neighborhood to be closer to Kevin and Jodi. Jodi would watch the tups every Friday.....to give Kate a break. Then, of course, when the kids came home mommie dearest would order them upstairs for their three-hour naps!

Many of these people were also on board when the G's took their trips to Disney and Utah.

So, yeah, the not-a-nannies may be only in the picture the last year or two, but to say that J&K did it all on their own, well, that's quite a stretch.
    Last edited by MamaC; 10-25-2009 at 01:37 AM.

FORT Fogey

My argument wasn't that they did it all on their own though. It was that this many children so suddenly was too much for the pair of them, which may or may not have contributed to their current state of dysfunction. Okay?

Krom, I agree with what you've said, but we can't forget that those concepts then have to across the board. I don't agree with children on reality TV series' at all. I thought the specials that have been done on young children are fine, and child actors don't bother me so much. But children on reality series' just upset me, no matter how "good" their parents are or how functional their family is, from the Duggars to those poor children on NYC Prep.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaGeorge;3734884;
    Travelling and leaving the kids was caregivers as much as she does - does not show their best interest. Insisting that they live in a home with cameras and lights lodged in every single room - denying them of normal lifestyle and privacy is not an act of showing their best interest. Increasing the filming schedule of the kids from just a few times a year to multiple filming days throughout the year is not their best interest.

I don't think Jon was dense. They were first quite happy and caring toward each other. But, IMO, Kate's vanity started to impact their environment. As Jon's manhood and self-esteem eroded under the constant berating and belittling and fully embarassing situations he faced in the public when she 'attacked' him with her derrogatory remarks, his ability to "be a man" diminished. He found that passivity, doing whatever Kate wanted, etc... was easier than confronting her. It came to a point where he went into survival mode. Mix into that the loss of a career that I feel men need to get a sense of self worth - the pressure of the press that he was dearly trying to escape by the end of their last season - the man couldn't possibly have any idea who he was, how to fix the situation they were in, or what his feelings were any more. It had to be exhausting - physically and emotionally.

Yes - there is no excuse for poor choices that they both made - Jon's affairs and Kate's self seeking interest in career and body guard. (And no, I don't fault her for seeking a career - but, wisdom would demand that it be done in moderation - and it wasn't.)

But, I simply can not jump on the bandwagon of crucifying Jon in bearing the blame for what happened, or being more responsible than Kate in the death of a marriage. Her sudden portrayal of a demure, innocent, victim mom is nothing more than an ACT when the cameras are rolling.
    ITA. Good post. Says most of how I feel.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3735500;
    The kids aren't getting paid THE PARENTS ARE.

But even if the kids were, they're not in a position where they can say "no". The decision's been made FOR them.

But even if the kids did somehow have some input, they're KIDS. Not fully equipped to understand what they've gotten themselves into. That's supposed to be the job of the parents, but when the parents are famewhoring #@&holes, then the kids? Are just screwed.

You're absolutely right and I've been saying this myself for some time.

The problem is that this--as another poster has suggested--is NOT applied across the board.

so that there end up being those who think the Duggars--for example--are "wonderful parents" while exposing their multiple children to the same kind of constant intrusive scrutiny of their lives--to which the children CANNOT by law consent to.

It seems tht not everyone remembers that the Duggars are also getting paid.

IMO this is much more about personalities than about legal situations--and emotional damage--that applies to the Duggars as well as to the
    Gosselins.

Closed Thread