Closed Thread

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

I maintain that co-hosting or something to that effect might turn out to be a very wise and good career choice for Kate, if it were to pan out. Keeps her in the media, earns her a bundle, and all without putting her kids on camera.
    I agree but Kate is just not a very likeable person except to a very small percentage of people. You know, the "Odd Haircut-Demean Spouse-Obsessed with Laundry Stains-Love the Spa" type of demographic.

Kate's appearance on Larry King did nothing to improve my opinion of her
    Can someone explain the purpose of her appearance on LKL? Was there a purpose? Except the dude ranch episode where her poor sons are forced to dress up like Howdy Doody from 1956? And we all know those poor kids will be openly mocked for those "cowboy" outfits someday.

And Kate? That awful pink cowboy hat you wear in that episode makes you look like a girl in "Rock of Love." Lose the hat.
    Help control the animal population - spay and neuter your pets!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3680033;
    Kate's appearance on Larry King did nothing to improve my opinion of her. She deflected questions and spoke in that measured, staccato tone she uses in her TLC "interviews". I have yet to see her on a talk show where she is having a genuine rapport or conversation with the interviewer. I have to wonder if TPTB at The View realize this about her. Shouldn't the co-hosts be able to hold a conversation and show an interest in someone other than themselves?
    I wish TLC would either get rid of Kate or find her a new home minus the kids. I wouldn't watch whatever they'd deliver, though, because I literally cannot stand this woman. I just want her out of my line of vision at this point.

She reminds me of Rachel Ray in some regards. Even if both were the nicest people on the planet (which they aren't) I wouldn't watch their shows. There is something disingenuous about them, and they flat boring personalities that do nothing for me at all.
    Last edited by Jexter; 08-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.

FORT Fogey

I'm not a professional media coach but I can guess how Kate would respond to your post: "Everyone is vague, everyone is evasive. We're dealing with it the best way we can. We've all made mistakes in the past but the show must go on. Everything I do is for my kids."
    Yes, I can imagine Kate would respond just that way, having been coached to deflect any responsibility for her actions. But IMO being trained to react to media questions doesn't necessarilly equate to an ability to host or co-host a talk show, which requires an entirely different skill-set that Kate has yet to demonstrate. Successful talk show hosts, like Regis & Kelly, Oprah, Ellen, Rosie (when she had her own show) are personable, can handle a wide variety of guest personalities, including hard-to-interview guests, and know how to create a personal connection with their audience in their willingness to show their own vulnerabilities. All of these qualities require the ability to be intellectually quick on your feet.

I think we need to remember that, at this point, Kate is an actress. We can debate her skills as an actress, but she is certainly playing a role according to the script given to her by her handlers.
    I agree that Kate can follow her handler's script, but as she demonstrated on Regis & Kelly, when Regis went off script and asked her something she hadn't been prepped for, she didn't have the ability to "think fast" for an effective response. Even if she's just the co-host, she still needs the intellectual speed to jump from one scenario to another effectively. There's a considerable gap between the ability to follow a script and the talent to become a credible actress.

Can someone explain the purpose of her appearance on LKL? Was there a purpose?
    Apparently to demonstrate that she's been taught how to deflect answering questions. In that respect, she did a great job!
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 08-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.

FORT Newbie

I must be one of those "small percentage" demographics who LOVE Kate. Living in their home town and watching the antics of that miserable husband of hers for years and what she had to put up with, has made me admire her all the more.
    A guy who cannot seem to realize he is not in high school anymore, especially when it came to picking up women behind his wife's back while she focused on raising the kids, but also when it came to working and being focused on keeping the family afloat. It has been Kate who has had the kahonies to keep it together and make sure the family had money instead of ending up on welfare. Please, if it was the other way around, everyone would say "what a great husband, provider for his family, she should be soo grateful she has a husband like that".
    Jon's antics only started making the press this past January when he hit the college scene and then the school teacher (all this BEFORE these latest romantic webs he has weaved) but everybody around here has heard all his "woe is me" tales, how he is still young and is missing out - WTF is he missing out on? Picking up the 18 year olds? Well, he has been doing that for years. Hanging out at clubs? Smoking, Drinking?............ awwwww, Jon you are so deprived. You have a great family, lots of success. At 32 behaving like a high schooler is not acceptable when you have 8 kids. I still cannot believe these young girls that are so infatuated with him.
    All the people who thought Jon was an angel all these years, should go back and watch, REALLY watch EVERY episode from start to finish and listen to him belittle Kate and scream at the kids and this time think of what he might be doing and how he might be acting that Kate knows about and you don't. If Jon would have only relished his role as a father as much as he does a party boy - that family would have had it made.
    Also, think of raising not only twins but 6 kids all the same age at once. You NEED to keep things in control and orderly. Heck, my house never looked as organized as Kate's. I wish she would come here and help me get organized. I also think people should stop being in denial and realized if cameras were on them for a few hours of a few days, and then edited it - you would get some control freak, bitch moments from all of us. She has gotten such a bad rap becuase Jon has that double personality - one for the public and one for behind closed doors.
    Is Kate focused? YES. Is Kate driven? YES Is Kate a germaphob? YES Is Kate a control freak? YES. Can Kate laugh at herself? YES Did Kate think Jon & her would be together forever? YES Has she improved over the years? YES Is she a GREAT MOM? ABSOLUTELY
    Being a strong woman does not make her a bad person. I also think she looks BEAUTIFUL in the new People shot with her hair slicked back.
    And as for everyone saying the kids suffer because they are on TV. Bull s***. The cameras are not there everyday. And not even every hour of the days they are there. They have had so many oppertunities that they otherwise would not have had. They would be living in a small house, with parents who have to work overtime just to not even make ends meet. Raising 8 kids is very expensive.
    People look at a clip here or there. I live here, knew way before things broke in the news what was going on and Kate was right when she said "with or without the cameras this would have happened". They are not suffering because of the show but because of what happens sometimes in life.She wanted one more child, Jon did not - they got 6 and he has felt trapped ever since and the marriage detereorated. Marriages break up all the time whether the couple is on TV or not.
    Last edited by iguanachocolate; 08-28-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: mod edit

FORT Fanatic

Man. they are tearing Kate up on the ABC "The View" message board. Good!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3681204;
    Man. they are tearing Kate up on the ABC "The View" message board. Good!
    That ought to teach 'em. Shame on The View!

Even "hard hitting" interviewers still maintain the ability to engage their guests and be respectful(most of the time). I don't believe that Kate has those abilities from what I've seen. I can't imagine her trying to interview anyone since then it would be about them and not her...JMHO
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

Did anybody else see the pics of Kate in that blue dress shopping at Target? OMG. I don't know why I look, I really don't. She had her dress stuck up her butt and stuck in front. She also had like three Target employees "helping" her to her car when there were only a few small bags in her basket. My God, does she actually ask for these courtesies? She is insane!

I also made the mistake of watching the videos of her and Jon sending the kids off to their first days of school, yesterday and today. It just made me sick. I wanted to scream at Kate, she was being such a fame*ore. She actually held up the bus getting on to "show the kids where to sit" or at least I thought I heard her say that. Yesterday she got on to take their pics or something after forgetting to do it and then seeing some other moms do it. Dumb woman. She just has to make a huge production and call attention to herself wherever she goes. I saw no other parents on that bus, and a couple of kids actually had to wait to get on because she was in the way. She disgusts me totally. I don't understand why people put up with her crap without telling her off. I know there are people out there who would have said something to her if their kids had been involved. Aren't there?

She has such an inflated idea of her own importance. It's sick. And when shows like the View actually allow her air time, it just makes her worse. I don't watch that show and I'm glad because if I did I wouldn't be able to stomach her "hosting". I cannot imagine that she has anything intelligent to add to that show.

Go away, Kate....just go away. Oh, and take your poor kids out of the spotlight.

FORT Newbie

I went on The View message boards and there are 25 pages of negative comments about Kate's appearance. I gave them my opinion also. I don't think they will cancel Kate's co-hosting job, they seem to love controversy and this will give them a boost in the ratings. I wish someone from the show would have the guts to step up and say we don't need Kate. They have put themselves in the same category as J&K, TLC, and all the rest of the shows who give Kate any attention.

As for the blue "nightgown" that Kate wore shopping yesterday, it looked like she finally pulled the stick from her butt,
    but then the dress took its place! I'm sorry, I had to be ugly just once!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax;3682016;
    OMG. I don't know why I look, I really don't.
    I refuse to watch the show but I'm all over the gossip. I guess that sends a contradictory message, but I find the whole thing to be incredibly fascinating for many reasons.

However, I was on You Tube and noticed videos of the kids (I refuse to watch those too), and I couldn't help but think how hurtful they will be to the kids when they are older. The electronic recording of every embarrassing moment of their lives (for the world to see) will be impossible to recover from I think.

Jon and Kate can duke it out in the media all they want (and I will follow it), but the kids need to get on with a normal, camera-free life NOW.

Closed Thread