Closed Thread
Page 10 of 285 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Re: Jon & Kate Plus Eight

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;3474252;
    I hope it's ok to post this (I'm still too new to link), but TMZ just reported that "Jon & Kate" is being investigated by PA Dept of Labor for Child Labor Law compliance.

That's good news dustypants! If everything is found to be o.k. that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3474257;
    My guess would be that the laws protecting minors who are actors don't apply to reality shows. It is not the same thing, but union contracts for actors don't apply to reality shows. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and I would guess that is somewhere between acting, and living your life in front of cameras. If it extended beyond acting, then where do you draw the line? If a family is featured on the news including the children, does that apply? What if it is a more in depth profile piece on a family? There is definitely a lot of grey area in there, but it's grey enough that it would make sense to me that protection for actors would not apply to reality shows.
    you are correct because TLC is calling it a "DOCUMENTARY" so the child labor laws do NOT apply
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;3474252;
    I hope it's ok to post this (I'm still too new to link), but TMZ just reported that "Jon & Kate" is being investigated by PA Dept of Labor for Child Labor Law compliance.
    I just read this too..but I really have to wonder ...are they REALLY investagating....or are they putting on a "show" to appease the sudden outcry of people who want the show pulled....I mean with all the money J&K and pulling in thats a lot of tax money that goes to the state...I hope for the children's sake that they are really checking things out and not making a sham of it....but I am going with a 95% chance that they will come back with "nothing inapporiate" is going on
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3474279;
    I just read this too..but I really have to wonder ...are they REALLY investagating....or are they putting on a "show" to appease the sudden outcry of people who want the show pulled....I mean with all the money J&K and pulling in thats a lot of tax money that goes to the state...I hope for the children's sake that they are really checking things out and not making a sham of it....but I am going with a 95% chance that they will come back with "nothing inapporiate" is going on
    Or, there's always the possibility that if they are investigating, they will do a genuine investigation, and come back with "nothing inappropriate" becasue nothing inappropriate is really going on.

FORT Fan

I'd have to agree with you, ButterflyFaery - it's odd that they are now investigating this after 4yrs (or however long it's been)...

FORT Fogey

My guess is that the Gosselin home has been "investigated" many times by many agencies. But not because of anything "bad" going on. But most likely because TLC in on the up and up and wants to keep their reputation clean.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

This is seriously getting out of control
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3474403;
    This is seriously getting out of control
    I agree. I'm not sure that i understand what is wrong with the notion that if you don't like show, or don't approve of the show, you just choose not to watch it. I can't stand the idea behind the treatment of women on a show like Rock of Love ... so I don't watch the show. Some of the people I've seen who are the most vocal about their objections to the show (such as the family members who are speaking out these days) say that their motivation is the children, and they must speak out because they believe its best for the children. Well I have to wonder if these people have taken a moment to think about the effect on the children of knowing that their aunts and uncles are in the national media trash talking their mom and dad. They may not be totally aware of it today, but like Jon said on Mondays show - someday they will google their names. Do the people who are taking it that far give any consideration at all to how THEIR actions will impact the kids?

I've only watched the show a couple of times and that is a while back, so I can't really weigh in much here.
    I do know that child labor laws and the famous Coogan Law would not apply to the kids as they are not actually acting on this show.
    I do think, however, that the Dionne Quintuplets commented on this whole exploitation issue extremely well back in 1997 to Time Magazine. Perhaps Jon and Kate would do well to read it.

ADVICE FROM THE DIONNE QUINTUPLETS - TIME
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

The only reason any family member should say anything outside of conversations with close friends and other family members is if there is any actual abuse going on, and even then NEVER to a tabloid. How is it going to benefit these children for their friends parents to see their parents on the covers of trashy magazines.

I think that while Kate is kind of awful and very cold, and doesn't necessarily seem all that interested in her children, Jon really loves them. And I think that while they may all be fighting constantly, that doesn't constitute abuse, but it does make me question the motivation behind going on the reality show in the first place.

Closed Thread