+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: The Little Couple

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: The Little Couple

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3816894;
    Saw the show last night on finding a surrogate mother. It brought up two interesting things. One was how expensive it could be. Over $100,000!!!! Few could afford that. The other interesting concept to me was the idea of would a surrogate agree to carry a baby knowing that it had a greater than usual chance of severe birth defects or death. At the very least, it has a 50-50 chance of dwarfism which no matter how you look at it, it's still a challenge.
    I don't know the answer but I hope those two find a way to have children.
    Adoption has become very expensive also, and can be just as difficult and time consuming as surrogacy, just in different ways. And don't forget that it was only that particular agency that was so expensive. Others are not necessarily that costly, and if you can provide your own surrogate (e.g. a family member or friend) it reduces the cost immensely, and if you don't need the agency to provide the donor eggs, that too can reduce the cost. I have a lot of experience with surrogacy because my niece, who had twins by surrogacy, is one of the pioneers of the field (and wrote/published a fabulous book on surrogacy). I also have several friends who have had children by surrogacy, and found it to be a wonderful alternative.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

I actually have a granddaughter who came to us through adoption. Believe it or not, it was only about $1500 for legal fees plus the baby's medical bills before they were able to get her on insurance. It was a private adoption that "fell into their laps." I realize that most adoptions are more expensive though my church has an agency that handles adoptions for $10,000. A lot of money but a bargain compared to what Jen and Bill are looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3817921;
    Adoption has become very expensive also, and can be just as difficult and time consuming as surrogacy, just in different ways. And don't forget that it was only that particular agency that was so expensive. Others are not necessarily that costly, and if you can provide your own surrogate (e.g. a family member or friend) it reduces the cost immensely, and if you don't need the agency to provide the donor eggs, that too can reduce the cost. I have a lot of experience with surrogacy because my niece, who had twins by surrogacy, is one of the pioneers of the field (and wrote/published a fabulous book on surrogacy). I also have several friends who have had children by surrogacy, and found it to be a wonderful alternative.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3818077;
    I actually have a granddaughter who came to us through adoption. Believe it or not, it was only about $1500 for legal fees plus the baby's medical bills before they were able to get her on insurance. It was a private adoption that "fell into their laps." I realize that most adoptions are more expensive though my church has an agency that handles adoptions for $10,000. A lot of money but a bargain compared to what Jen and Bill are looking at!
    You're very lucky in both respects -- that you have a wonderful granddaughter and that the adoption was very inexpensive. Some people have totally different experiences, including waiting forever to get chosen by a birth mom, then, once finally chosen, the heartbreak of waiting months during the pregnancy thinking that you're going to have a baby, only to have the birth mom change her mind at the last moment (a close friend of mine had THREE successive birth moms change their mind and keep their babies!!!), often having to go to other countries to find a baby to adopt, and then having to spend many months at a time there, to comply with their requirements, exorbitant fees to all kinds of government officials, adoption agencies, attorneys, and the like --- it isn't easy to adopt a child any longer. My heart goes out to all of the people who want to have a baby and can't, no matter which avenue they choose.

NEW SEASON STARTS JUNE 1, 2010 @10pm Eastern on TLC!!!

The Little Couple
    Breaking New Ground

Bill has a brand new look for summer, so Jen decides it's time to get one of her own when she goes to see her trusted stylist for new do. Later, they must both pick out windows and plumbing fixtures for the foundation of their new future home.
    KAREN

Thanks for the reminder! I can hardly wait. I just love this show. I read upthread that some find this show uninteresting. Not me. I have lots of conflict and stress in my job, so this show is a destressor to me. Who needs all that yelling, name calling and fighting within the family? NOT ME. I don't find that entertaining. It's one thing if it's fighting between friiends, such in the Housewives shows, but immediate family should be respected IMO. I get frustrated with shows that show the family members verbally abusing each other. I don't watch The Kardashians for that reason.

I love watching this couple meet the challenges that little people have. I think the wife is so charming. I think she would make a great mom. I hope they are able to get their house ready and their baby in one season. LOL.

someone please educate me on surrogacy. Would the little couple's own egg and sperm be prepared invitro and then placed in a surrogate...or is sperm from Bill used and then placed in the surrogate in hope of a pregnancy occurring. Or...is a donor egg and sperm used? Seems like there would be a lot of choices..but I'm wondering how it is most commonly done. Any thoughts on this?
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

I just loved the show last night. What do you think of their new hairstyles? I think they are good for a change. I don't think I realized just how small Jen was until she climbed up into that hairstylist chair. SHe is a very brave woman.

I can't wait to see how their new house comes together and how they progress with the new baby!
    I don't know very much about surragacy. I think most couples want to have their own embryo placed into the surragate, so the child is actually the couples own biological child. I guess there are cases when that is not possible. I hope it works out well for Jen and Bill.

Does anyone know when these shows were filmed? It looks like it might have been from last summer. That would mean that if things went according to plan, their baby may be due soon in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;3921133;
    someone please educate me on surrogacy. Would the little couple's own egg and sperm be prepared invitro and then placed in a surrogate...or is sperm from Bill used and then placed in the surrogate in hope of a pregnancy occurring. Or...is a donor egg and sperm used? Seems like there would be a lot of choices..but I'm wondering how it is most commonly done. Any thoughts on this?
    I have no clue and I asked DH as we were watching this and he thought that it would be sperm from Bill and an egg from Jen and then placed into the surrogate ... ??? But we are not sure ... ???

GREAT epi last night. I love Bill and Jen. Such a fabulous couple. Their new home is AMAZING ... 3500 sq feet. WOW, lovely. We built our Boston home in 2005 and it is a arduous task picking out all the fixtures and lighting for all the bathrooms and the kitchen and making a decision you think you will like for a lonnnngggg time.
    Their makeovers are FAB! I thought that was so cute when Jen that Bill looked like Brad Pitt!!! I love watching Jen at work! She is a wonderful doctor!
    KAREN

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

There's a video on TLC from an episode where Jen had an ultrasound on her ovaries, and learned that one looks really good for potential egg retrieval. So it looks like they're working toward a 100% Jen and Bill baby to be carried by a surrogate.

I wish them all the best! It would be a welcome change to see a non-dysfunctional family on TLC.
    Last edited by AZChristian; 06-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I just love this couple! They make me so happy! They have such a wonderful relationship. I love that he's always making her coffee and will go shopping with her and how he picks her up and helps her down for things all the time. Such a sweet pair. So looking forward to seeing this pregnancy play out. So happy for them!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread