+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: The Little Couple

Re: The Little Couple

Hey Tilden, you're right about watching the toddlers around pets. They don't realize how their actions can frighten or harm a dog or cat. And Bill and Jen did hire a dog trainer some time ago to come and work with their dogs and helpthem get comfortable with toddlers. I recall one episode about it last season. I guess you really have to continue to work on it and still, you may have a dog that isn't natured to accept kids.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Hey Tilden, you're right about watching the toddlers around pets. They don't realize how their actions can frighten or harm a dog or cat. And Bill and Jen did hire a dog trainer some time ago to come and work with their dogs and helpthem get comfortable with toddlers. I recall one episode about it last season. I guess you really have to continue to work on it and still, you may have a dog that isn't natured to accept kids.
    That's one way toddlers and dogs are similar--you have to keep working with them if you want them to learn a concept. The first "no" isn't always going to work with either group. I'm glad they did hire someone to work with the dogs. As I said, I don't think I've ever seen an episode of the show before, and I was really aghast that they had two small dogs they knew weren't good with kids whom they were afraid to let interact with Will--and then chose to let them run loose with him, as opposed to keeping the situation under greater control than that, particularly at first.

And yes, some dogs are never great with kids, usually because of some bad experience with them or because they're simply high strung, just as some people have less patience than others. That's why it's really important to make sure dogs and kids have good, supervised experiences with each other: it keeps each from developing a fear of the other. Also, some kids are just instinctively better with dogs than others are, just as some dogs are more tolerant of children than others are.

Oh, and someone mentioned problems with dalmations earlier. Part of the problem with that breed is that people who get them don't always realize that they need a lot of exercise. There's a good reason they were associated with coaches and fire trucks: they really like to run. As a result, they feel a lack of exercise more intensely than some dogs (e.g. the Clumber Spaniel was developed by a hunter who wanted a slower hunting dog with which he could easily keep up, so they're affectionately referred to as the couch potatoes of the spaniels). Then they get cranky, which can lead to all kinds of bad behavior as they try to show their displeasure. Of course, there are also some dalmations who can be problematic for other reasons, just as there are some people who have issues that make them unstable.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Thanks so much guys, for your kind words. Yes, my daughter, as an adult, is perfectly comfortable around dogs and has always enjoyed lots of dogs around.

I'm always pleasantly surprised at how, in most homes, the family kids can do pretty much anything to their family dog(s) and the dogs tolerate it. But I agree with you Jupiter, that when your dogs start out having a major problem with kids, and you bring a child into THEIR home, for me, it's way too risky. No matter how much I loved the dogs, in that situation, I would find the dogs a new home rather than take any chance that one of those dogs could harm the child. I know Bill and Jen love their dogs, but they have a huge responsibility to William and to Zoey, which to me, far surpasses any obligations they feel toward their dogs. They can find the dogs a lovely new home, and perhaps one day, start out with a new dog of a breed that is much friendlier and more tolerant of little kids.

Jenn seemed to be aware that Will feeding the dogs from the table during meal time was not good. I hope she put a stop to it pronto. That's one of my pet peeves.

If I go to someone's home for dinner and their dog sits and begs at the table, it really annoys me. I think it's very rude of the pet owner and I have made suggestions before. I might say, your dog looks like he's hungry. It wouldn't bother me if you fed him now so he doesn't sit and stare at me eating. Or I might say to the doggie, "You are so cute, but I'm not going to feed you during the meal, because that creates a terrible habit that annoys people." Can you believe that some pet owners still do nothing and continue to let the dog beg during the meal? lol Some even allow the dog to jump up on your lap during the meal. They may say no to the dog, but they don't really enforce it.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Jenn seemed to be aware that Will feeding the dogs from the table during meal time was not good. I hope she put a stop to it pronto. That's one of my pet peeves.

If I go to someone's home for dinner and their dog sits and begs at the table, it really annoys me. I think it's very rude of the pet owner and I have made suggestions before. I might say, your dog looks like he's hungry. It wouldn't bother me if you fed him now so he doesn't sit and stare at me eating. Or I might say to the doggie, "You are so cute, but I'm not going to feed you during the meal, because that creates a terrible habit that annoys people." Can you believe that some pet owners still do nothing and continue to let the dog beg during the meal? lol Some even allow the dog to jump up on your lap during the meal. They may say no to the dog, but they don't really enforce it.
    OMG, Debb, absolutely agree with you on this AS I do have one friend that does this. AND quite frankly its disturbing to watch her hubby throw/toss food from his plate to the dog's mouth.

We actually cut wayyyyyy back on meals at their house and would eat out when we would get together with them.

Then we moved away. I wonder if they still do that. Hmm.
    KAREN

I don't tolerate poor pet owners very well. The dog is doing just what the owner allows.

If the owner invites me over and the dog is jumping up on me, I will warn the owner, if you don't stop the dog, I will. I will lift my leg up and it will cause him to topple over. I don't allow dogs to jump onto my clothes with their sharp nails. If runs and picks fabrics. I love pets. I just don't let them abuse me. lol Most of these pet owners will sit and allow the dog to jump all over them, eat any food they are eating and do the same with their guests. I don't return as a guest to a house like that. I'm pretty sure the owner knows why. On the other hand, I love well behaved pets and often take them treats or toys when I go for a visit.

Changing topics here a bit. I do love watching Jen & Bill interact with Will. He's learning so much as are they. Despite having a hearing loss, Will seems like he picks up on English quite well. So i wondered why they continue using Mandarin when he obviously understands the English translation. For instance Baba is Daddy, beepbeep is car, bow is hug. You would think this very smart little guy would easily learn his english counterpart with little or no effort.

Also....and this is only an observation not a criticism, Jen does seem to struggle with her closeness to Will. She obviously loves him very much, but Will gravitates toward Bill who seems to have become sort of a giant play toy more than Dad. Will is also offered food a lot as an enducement for good behavior. But this is all new and will take time to sort out. It will be interesting to see how Zoey changes the dynamic. Will is obviously strong AND strong willed. He knows full well the impact of a good ol' fashioned tantrum. "AwRight!!!"

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Jupiter; 09-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post

Also....and this is only an observation not a criticism, Jen does seem to struggle with her closeness to Will. She obviously loves him very much, but Will gravitates toward Bill who seems to have become sort of a giant play toy more than Dad.
    I picked up on that too. Jen and Will just don't seem to have bonded like he has with Bill. And maybe it is because Bill does get down on the floor and plays with him. Bringing a nannie or a sibling in so soon may not be a good idea. They haven't mentioned Zoe in the last few episodes, wonder if they changed their minds about adopting her.
    Yardgnome likes this.

They didn't call her by name, but I think the trip to get a vehicle so Jenn can handle two kids confirmed they are still awaiting her.

I don't think it's odd that Will make gravitate to Bill more at this stage. I'm not a professional, but Will was very close to the women in the place he lived in China. Perhaps this new male role model is something that has really smitten him. I know that as a young child I was a daddy's girl and was much closer to my dad than my mom until I was about age 9. I'm not sure why. I was very close to my grandmother too until her death.

As far as the nanny goes, I know that Jenn has said they consulted with experts on how to acclimate Will into their family. I guess at some point Bill had to get back to work. Hopefully, he can work part-time and still spend a few hours each at home with Will. And Will should be starting pre-school soon too, right?

I also caught that Will is crazy for Bill. It could be as you say Debb, this is very new for him being around so many women. He rough houses with him, they play cares... having a male "playmate" is something he would of course gravitate more to. Jenn adores him, I can see that, and I do think he is starting to warm to her more and more.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread