+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: The Little Couple

Re: The Little Couple

Will is so adorable well adjusted and happy. Good for Jen and Bill

I loved that they spent two weeks with just them at home - no cameras and not much extended family to allow them to bond and find normalcy. So many reality "stars" are willing to put any and everything in front of the public. Nice to see someone say, "No. But we'll share a little home video with you!"
    libgirl2 likes this.

I thought it was lovely to see the home movies. I am so glad they let themselves have private bonding time with Will. He is so darn cute. I love it when he smiles. And I was so glad it worked out with the dogs. It looked a bit scary there.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I have my own feelings about aggressive dogs and toddlers. I hope Bill and Jenn know what they're doing. Usually, a decision is made once the child gets a bite to the face or hand. I hope it doesn't happen with them, but the little dogs like that tend to be snippy when they didn't grow up around kids and they have a little one taking their space and sharing time with their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have my own feelings about aggressive dogs and toddlers. I hope Bill and Jenn know what they're doing. Usually, a decision is made once the child gets a bite to the face or hand. I hope it doesn't happen with them, but the little dogs like that tend to be snippy when they didn't grow up around kids and they have a little one taking their space and sharing time with their parents.
    I have seen both sides. Growing up we had a neighbor that had a bassett hound. When their daughter was about a year old, something happened... maybe she reached for a toy etc... the dog bit her near her eye. She had a scar for life. The dog was given away right away.

Then I had two sets of neighbors, one with a fairly large dog and one with a teeny tiny dog, both had infants and toddlers and had no problem whatsoever. And both these dogs were around before the kids.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have seen both sides. Growing up we had a neighbor that had a bassett hound. When their daughter was about a year old, something happened... maybe she reached for a toy etc... the dog bit her near her eye. She had a scar for life. The dog was given away right away.

Then I had two sets of neighbors, one with a fairly large dog and one with a teeny tiny dog, both had infants and toddlers and had no problem whatsoever. And both these dogs were around before the kids.
    You never know what it is that will trigger a dog - even one that's never bitten or attacked anyone before. This happened with my own daughter, who was 5 years old at the time. She was playing in the backyard of her little girlfriend, who had a family dalmatian that had never bitten or attacked anyone before (or so they claimed!!!) and the girls were swinging on the swings, but when they got off, the dog jumped up and ran across the yard and jumped up on my daughter and bit her smack in the face -- with one huuuuuuge bite from just under her eye to just under her jaw. It was horrifying!!!! Her cheek was practically hanging off of her face!!! I raced her to the E.R. and would only let her be seen by a plastic surgeon, who thank God, was able to operate on her immediately and did an amazing repair job, so that now, as an adult, she really looks good -- she has a relatively un-noticable scar under her eye and another one under her jaw. But at the time it happened, it was a total nightmare!

I don't know whether this is true or not, but several people have told me that dalmatians do have a 'thing' for little girls --- and for some reason can be very aggressive with them. I don't know about that, but all I can say is that when the incident happened, the girls were not anywhere near the dog, or fighting, or doing anything that 'should' have upset the dog --- the dog just attacked out of nowhere.

PS The child's family never did put the dog to sleep or give the dog away. If it were my dog that did that, I sure would have done something. But the really good news about my daughter is that, once everything healed (the plastic surgeon did an amazing job, and the scars were never really bad), and the wound really did heal very well, so that growing up, and now as an adult, she hasn't ever seemed to mind the scars very much --- she doesn't even put makeup on them, --- and she's not afraid of dogs at all, so at least the incident didn't cause any lasting harm --- but it was really horrible when it happened!

Oh how horrible for your daughter! I have heard the same about Dalmatians. I remember reading after the movie 101 Dalmatians, people were adopting them and then finding out they weren't good with kids.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Imperfect1, I'm glad your daugther is okay. That sounds like a terrible experience. It's amazing she doesn't fear dogs as a result.

I have known several Dalmations over the years and all of them were either very roudy and aggresive or quiet and mean. I'm sure there are many wonderful Dalamations, but I never met them. I have known various breeds of dogs to snap and/or bite kids. My brother was bitten by a Dachshund when he was little. He was doing nothing to the dog, it just ran over and bit him. My ex' niece was bitten by a Lhasa Apso, and my great aunt was attacked and almost killed by a German Shepard. You just never know.

The safest bet is to keep the dogs from the little kids and always supervise. Once a dog snipped or acted aggressive with my child, that would be it. They would have to go to another home. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I would never let any toddler play with any dog unsupervised. Quite without meaning to, small children can do things that dogs simply don't understand or misinterpret. To a little dog, for instance, a toddler is still several times larger than he/she is, and toddlers typically move awkwardly, fall unexpectedly, reach for things quickly (and again, sometimes unexpectedly), jam things into their mouths, smack at things they don't like, hug too hard things they do like etc. All of that can scare the tar out of a dog that's not used to it, and even one who is. For instance, if a twenty pound toddler suddenly tumbles down on top of a five pound dog...well, think how you'd feel if something that weighed four times what you weigh collapsed without warning on top of you? You'd probably fight or bite or do whatever you could to get away too. I'm not saying that there aren't dogs who are simply problematic, but sometimes the issue isn't the child or the dog. It's not that either of them is doing anything wrong but that they need to be supervised when together to keep problems from occurring because they don't understand each other's behavior or needs.

I don't typically watch The Little Couple, but I happened to see the episode where they brought Will home and admitted their dogs were not good with kids, and I was pretty surprised that, given that they knew that, and that they had been trying to have a child even before they went the adoption route, that they hadn't looked into working with a trainer or behaviorist on that issue before bringing a child into the mix. I'm glad the dog issue resolved itself, but they're really lucky that it did. It could easily have gone the other way, considering they didn't appear to have done much of anything to ensure that the meeting would have gone well.

Imperfect1 thank God your daughter is OK. Your story gave me cold chills. As far as Bill & Jen's dogs are concerned, I would think they should not be in the kitchen area during meal times. The dogs get bad habits & it encourages Will to misbehave. Meal time and people food are for people. The dogs can wait and that's not being cruel. I love my dogs as much as anyone, but they'll eat their food when I feed them. No begging at the table.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Imperfect1 and Debb70 like this.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

+ Reply to Thread