+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guess Who Is Coming Over

Guess Who Is Coming Over

Did anyone else catch this show lastnight on TLC?

Guess Who's Coming Over?
    David & Chuck
    TV-14 (LV), CC

Self-described "redneck", David hosts Chuck, an African-American from New York. Will this experience leave a lasting impression on David and eradicate his preconceived notions about African-Americans? Or is he too set in his ways to change?

i have to say this was a very good show. I wasn't sure if David & Chuck would end on a good note and it did. I think David in particular learned that people are indeed just people. I can't wait to see what the next switch will be.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: Guess Who Is Coming Over

I didn't get to see it all, just a very small clip (when David said the small handgun is the type that Chuck's "buddies tote in the ghetto", or some such ignorant garbage).
    I'll look out for a rerun and make sure the show is included in my PVRing schedule.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3434081;
    I didn't get to see it all, just a very small clip (when David said the small handgun is the type that Chuck's "buddies tote in the ghetto", or some such ignorant garbage).
    I'll look out for a rerun and make sure the show is included in my PVRing schedule.
    Apparently the town David is from has only 700 people in it, Dawsonville GA. The things he actually believed about African Americans is all from what he sees on tv. I just had to shake my head though that in 2009 people still think that way,sad really.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3434136;
    Apparently the town David is from has only 700 people in it, Dawsonville GA. The things he actually believed about African Americans is all from what he sees on tv. I just had to shake my head though that in 2009 people still think that way,sad really.
    That then becomes a matter of what he chooses to watch on tv, imo.

I did see a trailer for the show and the guys were sitting in the living room talking about things getting "crunk".
    It was amusing to see David clearly enjoying Chuck's company.
    It sounds like this was a beneficial experience for David (and probably for Chuck too) and hopefully for many people watching.

Situations like this make me think back to the Maya Angelou quote, "when you know better you do better".
    It seems like Chuck has been exposed to an African American man in a positive way. Hopefully that'll make him shake the "buddies in the ghetto" images he has.
    I'm commenting having wacthed very little of the show though, so hopefully I can catch it all at some point. TLC reruns like crazy
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread