+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hotel Inspector - now on BBCAmerica

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

The Hotel Inspector - now on BBCAmerica

From BBCAmerica.com:
    Ever stayed at a hotel with less-than-satisfactory service, outdated décor, poor quality food, or an uncomfortable bed? Renowned hotelier and author Ruth Watson is The Hotel Inspector, and she's looking to whip Britain's struggling bed-and-breakfast owners and hoteliers into shape.

The Hotel Inspector has an intense eye for detail with her no nonsense methods as she encourages each establishment to ensure the highest standard of quality for the ultimate guest experience. During the inspections, her main objective is to assess the issues in which these establishments are failing. She relentlessly challenges the owners to clean up their act by attacking their filthy rooms, rude employees, and horrible food by trying to bring the hotel up to 5-star quality.
    Technically, this isn't a new series as it originally aired on the U.K.'s Five channel starting in 2005, but BBCA has just started running it, and I'm loving it. I spent a good part of my childhood in the U.K. and it's shocking to see that many of the Hotels & Guest Houses that seemed horrible in the 70's still look the same. Then there's the characters who run most of the places, they seem to all be trying to keep the stereotype of the eccentric Englishman alive. It's part Kitchen Nightmares, part designed to sell, and all good TV.

Beware of Mrs. Sparkles, that's all I'm gonna say.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Re: The Hotel Inspector - now on BBCAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;3418711;
    From BBCAmerica.com:

Technically, this isn't a new series as it originally aired on the U.K.'s Five channel starting in 2005, but BBCA has just started running it, and I'm loving it. I spent a good part of my childhood in the U.K. and it's shocking to see that many of the Hotels & Guest Houses that seemed horrible in the 70's still look the same. Then there's the characters who run most of the places, they seem to all be trying to keep the stereotype of the eccentric Englishman alive. It's part Kitchen Nightmares, part designed to sell, and all good TV.

Beware of Mrs. Sparkles, that's all I'm gonna say.
    I totally agree with the eccentric part and Mrs. Sparkles is downright SCARY!
    That couple operating Hanmer, I could have slapped her, and screamed: go home to your farm and stay there. They had not a clue.

I have been watching some of the episodes and some of the rooms are nightmarish. What is the fascination in Britain with combining horrifically pattered carpets and wallpaper on every surface? I have also watched some of the British versions of home improvement shows and it is the exact same in people's houses.

What is really scary is the amount of beds in some of the rooms.

I do really like the Hotel Inspector and I think she can go toe to toe with Gordon Ramsey with the gutter language.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Hmm, I just finished renting the BBC's Hotel Babylon, which was a scripted series about a 5-star hotel and its employees and guests as well as what goes on behind the scenes. It was quite a good series and much more interesting to me as a viewer than this one.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3418751;
    I have been watching some of the episodes and some of the rooms are nightmarish. What is the fascination in Britain with combining horrifically pattered carpets and wallpaper on every surface? I have also watched some of the British versions of home improvement shows and it is the exact same in people's houses.

What is really scary is the amount of beds in some of the rooms.

I do really like the Hotel Inspector and I think she can go toe to toe with Gordon Ramsey with the gutter language.

As soon as you get the answer to this, PLEASE let me know.

I wish I had this channel. I work at a hotel, and it would have been fun to watch.

Wasn't there a show like this on The Travel Channel? There were two men and a woman who went undercover and rated the hotels on certain criteria. I haven't seen it in a long time and have no idea what the title was but kind of liked it.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

I just watched
    Series 3, Episode 2: Beech House, Reading

Ruth aims to change the fortunes of Beech House, a 15-bedroom hotel in Reading, whose owner proves stubbornly resistant to the idea of changing his prices.
    I'm constantly surprised at how resistant to change the hoteliers are. This guy was soooo resistant to being accredited by a tourism board because he would have to take the word Hotel out of his establishments name (to be classified as a hotel, dinner would need to be served in it's restaurant). He wasn't even happy when he received a four star rating.

And then he was incredibly inflexible with his rates, not seeming to understand that it's better to have a full hotel at reduced rates for some of the rooms, than it was to have a half empty hotel at full rates for all rooms.

Then there is the issue that they don't understand that you have to be constantly marketing to get customers into the hotel.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

FORT Newbie

We watched a marathon of this show on Sunday. Mrs. Sparkles was something else. However, when we googled that hotel, she has changed it to an Adult only hotel. No kids allowed. Wow, from one extreme to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;3420004;
    I just watched

I'm constantly surprised at how resistant to change the hoteliers are. This guy was soooo resistant to being accredited by a tourism board because he would have to take the word Hotel out of his establishments name (to be classified as a hotel, dinner would need to be served in it's restaurant). He wasn't even happy when he received a four star rating.

And then he was incredibly inflexible with his rates, not seeming to understand that it's better to have a full hotel at reduced rates for some of the rooms, than it was to have a half empty hotel at full rates for all rooms.

Then there is the issue that they don't understand that you have to be constantly marketing to get customers into the hotel.
    I couldn't believe the owner who said he had used all his money on the hotel had only months to operate and when told that changing the price point (room rates) was the key to filling his hotel every night he refused. Ugh! Sometimes I don't get people. You ask for help from a successful expert and then refuse to take it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast